MR TUGWELL Playing pool with both hands.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just learned about MR.TUGWELL,how he was forced to shoot pool with his other(LEFT)hand after some kind of accident,and what he was able to do left handed was just amazing,so iam wondering how many other pool players out here are able to shoot with their other hand,I can not even hold my cue straight with my other hand.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't know about in here, but Efren can probably beat A players playing with his off-hand.

DallasHopps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm what many on this forum would describe as a walking payday... My APA skill levels are both 7, and we all know how much that's worth... When I was high school age my dad's friend downsized houses and gave us what I now know was a GC2 9 foot table that was in mint condition (burned up in a house fire...sad face) While playing on that 9 foot table I realized that I couldn't use a bridge to save my life, and started to practice left handed shots. With only a little bit of practice to get the retardedness out, I was able to make basic shots when left no choice. Fast forward 10 years, and I can now make medium-difficult shots and play basic position left handed... my left hand is probably an APA skill level 5. It only takes necessity and a little practice, and is better IMHO than the cool-guy behind the back shot.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone told me that Keith McCready was just a ball weaker on his opposite hand. Amazing if true.

True dat! :cool:

From what I have been told about playing opposite-handed, it requires a lot of practice to develop the muscle memory when shooting shots. Once you get used to that muscle memory, then it becomes easier with practice. Unfortunately, there's no shortcut to getting proficient with the opposite hand. The only way to get there is practice, practice, practice! ;)

T-dog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

From what I have been told about playing opposite-handed, it requires a lot of practice to develop the muscle memory when shooting shots. Once you get used to that muscle memory, then it becomes easier with practice. Unfortunately, there's no shortcut to getting proficient with the opposite hand. The only way to get there is practice, practice, practice! ;)

I think doing this has made some great players. I am not sure why or if all the people I list below truely play opposite but I think there is something to it.

Good Players:
Don Mcaughy - World 9ball champ
Scott Frost
Gabe Owen

Not Good players:
Me - left handed and I shoot right.

If you know others..... add them here, Im interested if others have noticed this.

and many other great shooters I have come across. One guy that lives by me, his dad is left handed and taught him how to play left handed. By the time the dad realized he taught him that way, it was too late to change.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Nice thing about 'learning' for those that already know how to play...they already know how to play!

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have notice that over the years of watching all kinds of different players,skilled wise,it seems to me that most of all the top players had no problems switchings hands for certain shots,but of lesser players as my self would have to bring out the bridge,i guess thats where talent comes in play,for the better players to shoot with both hands!

gonegray

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Growing up hustling pool on bar tables in New Orleans, I found that playing left handed gave me just the edge I needed to seem a little awkward, but at the same time be able to utilize the superior mental and intellectual edge over lesser skilled opponents. Soon, if I could beat an opponent (or even a tournament) left handed, I played left handed.

There is usually ample time in an evening in-between shots when you can practice stroking left-handed. While sitting in the chair, spend most of your free time with the cue left-handed, "air stroking." If you do this for any length of time (and you are going to be playing for years to come, right?), eventually you may become unaware of the difference between the two hands. The only difference I feel now is the adjustment of my head and dominant eye (which is a major component.)

If perfect practice makes perfect, then use your down time in between innings efficiently learning. Muscle memory and neuro connections will be built over time, IF you are consistent and disciplined enough to work at it.

I've spent HOURS doing spot shots. One right handed, one left handed, side rail then middle table. Bank pool practice left handed. One pocket action with lesser players, but giving them the opposite handed spot, or switch hands each shot spot. BET SOMETHING, if you're gambing, you'll focus more and force yourself to improve left handed. $2 a game 9-ball with a lesser player, will get you frustrated at first, it will even make your shoulder tired, but it will improve your consistency with your stroke being straight as well as give you an opportunity to sure up your bridge hand. Make that bridge wide, open handed at first. Don't try to do anything fancy with the cue ball. Just make the shot. If you can't hit center ball and take the tangent, what good is it?

My best was when I moved to Memphis and was practicing banks left handed for about an hour and one of the locals asked me to play some $50 a game banks. I won the first one (lefty) and he won the second. I switched back to right handed, and in the middle of the game he noticed and said, "oh crap, you're right handed aren't you? I've been watching you for an hour playing left handed, huh?" YEP. You know, he beat me anyway. I love pool! Thanks Billy!

Raise the bet! I HATE POOL FOR FREE!

Last edited:

dafatman

Registered
We have a regular in our room known as Taxi Danny. He's in his mid eighties now, but in his day, when he drove a cab in Detroit, he was a heck of a right handed player. He was even featured on the front cover of the Detroit News, a billiard publication I think, that was about him and several other phenoms like Cornbread Red. The article was titeld "Taxi Dan and Other States of Grace".
Anyway several years ago his palsy became so bad in his right hand that he switched over to left handed. His right hand still tremors quite a bit in his bridge, but I'll dare say that not a lot of players on this site can spot him very much. He is amazing at his age and off-handed.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When Charlie Bryant lived with me, we would play 14.1 on my 9' table, but he had to shoot everything left-handed. I personally watched him run over 100 balls that way several times. Just sick!

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
The way I learned was to play a buddy about the same speed and we both played off handed. It was not long before I was able to trust shots with my non dominant hand as much as I would trust a shot with a bridge.

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
I can't even make a bridge to shoot left handed without looking like I am trying to shoot with another person's hand.

A guy that's on my team on the other hand is right handed and automatically just started shooting left handed. He just assumed that if you're right handed your bridge hand should be the right hand. I think either Mike Sigel, or Nick Varner started shooting the same way.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
I can run a rack on occasion opposite handed. Alot of Filipinos get "very" profficient with their opposite hand. Being able to shoot at a fairly high level opposite handed lets you shoot alot of shots that would otherwise require a rest.

As Jam said, it takes nothing but alot of practice. Once you already know how to play at a pretty high level you already know what the opposite hand needs to do, the trick it just getting it to now do that. I probably have put about 100 hours of solo practice just shooting balls and attempting to run racks opposite handed. I am nowhere near as good as my natural hand, but I am confident shooting alot of shots in competition lefty rather then getting a rest.

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Several years ago we had an unknown fella show up at HardTimes and he matched up with one of the local champions. The guy played real strong and beat the local champ. Both shot righty.

Afterward this unknown guy proposes a game where both of them play opposite hand. The local hero, who happens to play real sporty left handed, agrees to the game. They play and soon it becomes apparent, the stranger was actually a natural lefty. With litte effort he goes on to clobber the local something fierce.

This is the kind of stuff we occasionally see at HardTimes, strangers passing through with amazing talent.

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Walter Lindrum was a natural righty but his father made him play left-handed and he became the best in the world. Later on he learned to play right handed at a world class level as well.

Ronnie O'Sullivan also plays great opposite handed. He once played Alain Robideaux in a pro snooker event and at one point Ronnie started shooting left handed, Alain was really pissed off saying Ronnie wasn't showing him respect. Ronnie won the match and said "I play better than him left-handed so what's the big deal?" They were going to fine him for unsportsman like conduct unless he could prove that he really could play world class snooker opposite handed (which he had already proved in the match). So they had him play another pro in a test match and Ronnie won every frame with I believe a couple of century breaks to boot. They didn't fine him.

JesseAllred

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you make a decision to play strictly with your opposite hand for a period of time, say 6 months, you'll be amazed at how quickly you get proficient at it.

houmatroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reminds me of a Justin wilson joke !

About the lil boy who was hunting throwing rocks up n the tree killing squirrels and this guy saw him & said nobody gonna believe me when i tell em i just saw this left handed lil boy chunk a rock n kill a squirrel like that..The lil boy said I aint left handed..The man says don't lie to me boy..I saw it with my own eyes u chunked the rock left handed & killed that squirrel..the boy says I told u i'm not left handed...My dad won't let me throw right handed...said I mess em up too darn bad. ! :D

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you make a decision to play strictly with your opposite hand for a period of time, say 6 months, you'll be amazed at how quickly you get proficient at it.

You mr.can play with your toes,and who knows what else?i do mean playing pool btw,you are the best jesse!