John Barton us open ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After reading all this I feel I must warn my friend Dennis. He's using an Acme case currently and he doesn't know his cues are in jeopardy. :rolleyes:

Baloney! I think pool players are quite capable of deciding for themselves if they want a "Cadillac" or a "Chevy." Why should John care if there is an inferior product that attempts to copy him? If that's the case (again) he should really be mad at all the Chinese companies knocking off just about every "name" brand product there is. Wait a second, weren't his cases being made in China for many years?

Calm down dude. It's okay if Jay had someone actually make the cases for him that he designed. I know about that since we designed one together that he had made for me, and Nora wasn't anywhere around when we were doing that.

P.S. Sounds like you're the one with some kind of beef. You got a little out of line there Mr. RIVER CITY!

No beef here. If I misread the tone of your posts, my apologies.

As for him "designing" anything, as I said, every construction technique up to and including the stamping/decoration methods came straight from Stohlman LONG before JEF Q cases existed.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We are going to have a discussion about design, knockoffs, innovation and imitation. Those who create will fully understand discussion. Those who imitate won't like it at all.

Ya ya we've all heard it before but as far as I can tell you have copied most invented little other than your inside ,

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay Flowers made NOTHING.

Nora Van Horn, a former Tandy Leather employee made the cases. She used the same construction methods and decoration that Al Stohlman, another Tandy guy came up with and wrote in his books 'The Art of Making Leather Cases', and countless others.

the_art_of_making_leather_cases_collection_1517597679_08bc0e66.jpg

Those books have been available for decades to leathercrafters, and have stood as a primer for leather case making for anyone interested in the craft.

But dont let that stop you from talking out of your ass because you apparently have some beef with John.

I didn't know that piece of history, thanks for sharing.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
John, were you removed form the premises before you finished playing? That hasn't been mentioned in this thread... I was thrilled that you had the chance to play in the event, and curious to be able to hear your perspective on the experience. Sadly, though the whole experience is marred, hopefully you got to play until you were out

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there ANY video of this? I'm sure MB has it but they won't give it up nor should they unless law was involved. A zillion smart-phones and no video?????? All this conjecture/guessing could be put to bed with 30sec. of video.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
JB and Mike are both really good guys and I hope they can find some resolution to their problem.

Easy to see how when someone's bottom line is jeopardized that things can go south in a hurry.

I have no experience with Acme cases but I've had a few Ruggeds, the latest one John sent me just a month or two ago, and it's perfect.

Good luck guys.

best,
brian kc

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
No beef here. If I misread the tone of your posts, my apologies.

As for him "designing" anything, as I said, every construction technique up to and including the stamping/decoration methods came straight from Stohlman LONG before JEF Q cases existed.

Do you think that John Barton or Mike Hoang actually build each case themselves by hand? And do you think that John Barton's construction techniques and decoration methods are unique and new to him only? If you do, then you are the one who's blowing it out his ass, as you so aptly put it. Now I will accept your apology.

Last edited:

Diege

Registered
My Two Cents

I am newly back playing pool for the last year after a 30+ year break. I have no skin in this but would like to say that I personally own a JB Rugged case and in the process of purchasing a second one (could only wish and dream that one day to be able to afford one of his tooled leather cases). I have to say that John Barton cases are worth every penny and are in a league of their own. Not only that, but I have had a few interactions with John when purchasing my current case as well as the new case and he has only been extremely helpful and friendly. I think people should put themselves into his place before being critial or slinging crap at him. It is tough being a privately owned small business, putting time and effort into delivering a high quality product that John is contantly trying to improve and cares about delivering something of such high quality only to have people knock his stuff with cheap "copies" and bash him for his passion and zeal to protect his business and reputation. I understand that to some, his cases may seem expensive, but they are worth every penny. They are perfection! John, let me say I am sorry that people have to turn this into a circus where you have to defend yourself, your reputation and honor.

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
John and his wife are very good people....Mike and his wife are very good people...I like and think well of both, I hate seeing this happen..
When I'm at Johns booth I'm treated very well by John and his wife....His wife is great and a big help to John...Same with Mike..Very nice and helpful wife.....
I own 2 JB cases and my whole BCA team has a JB case...Ive bought several cues from Mike and always get a good deal.....
Both contribute much to pool...Hope this is settled before BCA Vegas in July ...Otherwise people will feel the tension between them and not good for either when they are trying to do their jobs....
Actually sounds like people blew this out of proportion more then what really happened...
I think John and Mike are smart enough to get this settled without help from AZ members....

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
What's weird about this whole thing to me is the point of whether there are any patents on the JB Cases. If not, then of course there will be others that will try to copy them, because they represent what the customers want.

If the brands that are knock-offs are inferior, I don't think that John needs to run around jumping up and down screaming it, as the consumers will figure that out on their own in due time.

After watching John's video about this, the big issue John seems to have it that the competitor is lying about his cases. But again, won't the customers be able to figure this out for themselves without John confronting the competitor and making a scene in public?

In conclusion, no patent means that John really doesn't have much to complain about. Unless of course I am missing something. But I will admit, I have no idea what lies the competitor has allegedly made about his cases that would directly involve John.

Disclaimer: I own a JB Case and I love it.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Thank you. My point is that it is being advertised as a $226 case that is on sale for $97. People can put whatever price they want on things but then other people (me) should be allowed to call or the quality deficiencies.

John,

Having spent 38 years in the consumer electronics business, I can tell you one absolute truth. If someone advertises a $200 retail item for "only $100" and continues to do so without ever actually selling the item for $200, the item is really a $100 retail item regardless of any protestations to the contrary. What say you?

Lyn

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only Russian Martial Art I know...

There is a version of fighting style taught to military that has been around the USSR for a bit, it's a mix of Judo type take down and holds with some boxing and Karate attacks.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
John,

Having spent 38 years in the consumer electronics business, I can tell you one absolute truth. If someone advertises a $200 retail item for "only $100" and continues to do so without ever actually selling the item for $200, the item is really a $100 retail item regardless of any protestations to the contrary. What say you?

Lyn

"Mark'em up, to mark'em down!" :p

I only had 28 years in the CE biz...lol. Seen some things.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a version of fighting style taught to military that has been around the USSR for a bit, it's a mix of Judo type take down and holds with some boxing and Karate attacks.

Cool, I thought that Combat Sambo was that but I'm not a Russian MA expert (mine expertise is in Korean).

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I think it is around 30 dollars.

;)

John,

Lyn

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
going out of business sale

Same thing in the furniture biz. They'll run a loss-leader recliner on sale for 10yrs. and never change the ad.

A local furniture store ran a going out of business sale for over five years. I don't know if some authority finally made him quit running the advertising or the backlash from some news stories caused the owner to move on to other marketing.

Hu

Status
Not open for further replies.