Passing of Larry Hubbart today

OverCutAnything

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA Co-Founder and Billiard Hall of Famer Larry Hubbart passed away today.
A very good player in his time & helped to keep pool going by helping create organized leagues.
Thoughts & prayers go out for him & his family.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA Co-Founder and Billiard Hall of Famer Larry Hubbart passed away today.
A very good player in his time & helped to keep pool going by helping create organized leagues.
Thoughts & prayers go out for him & his family.

Very sad to hear of The Iceman's passing. RIP, Larry.

Lou Figueroa

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Larry Hubbart

Larry was a monster player and a pretty good guy. I did not know that well but this is sad.

He had been rather sick for an extended time.

Just another example of a passing generation.

Rest in Peace

Mark Griffin

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear about Larry passing. As an APA LO 20 years ago, I knew Larry fairly well. As far I'm concerned Larry Hubbart was the ONLY Iceman in the pool world. Mika (or whoever put that moniker on him) stole it from Larry.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
I never met Larry and only know a bit @ him. Maybe someone who did know him well can post a little bit of his history? A kind of memorial?

RIP Larry and condolences to his family. :(

OverCutAnything

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Per request.... Sent out by APA National...

Larry passed away today at his home after a long battle with various health issues. He is survived by his wife, Nancy, six children, 8 grandchildren and countless family and friends.

Originally from Rochester, N.Y., Larry was one of the top professional poolplayers of his era during the late 70s and early 80s, winning numerous titles including the 1976 U.S. Open 8-Ball Championship, 1977 World 9-Ball Championship and the 1979 World 8-Ball Championship.

He will best be remembered however for bringing countless amateurs to the sport of pool through the APA Leagues. In the late 70s, Larry teamed with partner Terry Bell, to establish the vision for the APA Pool Leagues. That vision lead to the organization we know today.

“We’re all extremely saddened by Larry’s passing. He was a great man who was dedicated to his family, his business and to the sport of pool. Larry fought a very courageous battle the past few years, and we hope he’s finally found some peace. Our prayers go out to Nancy and the entire Hubbart family,” said APA President Renee Lyle.

Larry’s last public appearance came in October 2010, when he and Terry were inducted in into the Billiard Hall of Fame.

It was perhaps the crowning achievement for a life devoted to the sport of pool.

Information regarding services for Larry will be forthcoming.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Larry mentored another well known player by the name of Mike Sigel

RIP Larry, My condolences to his family and close friends......When I was coming up Larry was certainly one of the best players in the country and a feared money player.

Larry mentored another well known player by the name of Mike Sigel. They were "road partners" for many years and certainly a "dynamic duo".

klockdoc

ughhhhhhhhhh
Silver Member
Sad news. My condolences and prayers are with the family and friends in these sad times.

ga9ball

South West Buyer!
Silver Member
Larry Hubbart

Very sorry to hear of Larry' passing. Condolences to the entire family.
When I was a kid, I loved to watch him play, fearless.
As CJ already noted, great gambler, big heart!
RIP

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Sad day for his family and the sport. Larry was the first person to explain to me what a ""short stop" was. He said "look in the mirror"!!! Seriously, Larry will be missed by many here in Rochester. His exploits with Captain Hook were legendary. Both on the pool table and fishing for fish :eek::wink::rolleyes: sometimes with Pat Howey.

Lyn

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear about the passing of another great player, who worked hard not just to play the game ,,,but make it better for those who followed after. He was a Monster player in his day...RIP Mr Hubbard--

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
My deepest condolences to Nancy and the family. Larry was a class act all the way! He was the smoothest man in pool long before Billy Incardona took over in that respect. Larry was admired by his peers for the way he handled himself in ALL situations! He was a great money player and a threat to win any tournament he entered. Plus he was a brilliant man who created (with Terry Bell) the largest amateur pool leagues in the world. The APA continues to grow bigger today!

Most of all for me Larry was a friend, someone whose word was good and a lot of fun to hang around. I'm so fortunate to have known him long before there was an APA, and we were just a couple of rounders trying to get by in the pool world. Larry was always in the know about the latest happenings and where to go and who to play. He was the one who told me back in the early 70's that my poolroom (and me) was in every road man's black book. I got a big laugh out of that.

I will miss you my friend and never forget you. You were one of the really cool guys in our world! Thanks for being who you were and making pool a better place to be. I love you Larry and I'm glad I got a chance to tell you that when you were inducted into the HOF. :eek:k:

P.S. Larry is the man most responsible for the emergence of Mike Sigel as one of the all time great players. Larry mentored Mike, coached him and put him in the first big action of his career. Without Larry, Mike may have just been another good local player around Rochester.

Last edited:

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't stand it.

Larry left the pool world in better condition than when he found it. Larry had impact. I had the honor of playing Larry a number of times...what a great player. RIP

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Shame. I met Larry a few times in the mid-1990's when he was still competing on the PBT. Fine player and a nice guy. Of course, his accomplishments with APA speak for themselves.

Rest in peace Larry.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another legend passes, it's sad. RIP Larry.

Growing up in Oak Park, MI in the early to mid 70's, I had the privilege of witnessing when Larry brought a young Mike Sigel to the Rack to play Red 1-pocket, they were all business (3 years in a row of which I watched some of 2 of the sessions). Larry was one of the first pool players I had seen that treated pool as a business. I also watched him compete a couple times in Ray Abram's 14.1 tournaments held at the Cushion n Cue in Livonia. Although I never spoke two words to him, Larry left a lasting impression with me.

Peace.
Dave

daniel

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
knew larry back when he had the line of meucci cues. I bought directly from him and really enjoyed knowing him. i remember when larry & sigel were toolin around in the Jaguar & caught their act at joe burns tournament in dayton,ohio.pretty scary duo. RIP