and poor managemant

seldom do you see a decent game,whereas for years the best players stopped by

please open a new pool room

i am too old for bowling

mrsmith1976

Out of line...again..UGH
Silver Member
Horrible

When I went to Dallas I couldn't believe how bad the pool scene was for such a huge city. We thought they were joking when the locals said there were no Diamand tables in Dallas. That was last year at the Ultimate 10 ball. Guess it hasn't gotten better.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
The problem with Big D is the neighborhoods are either too run-down or they're too upscale. Not enough middle ground. At least you don't have to drive as far as I do to go to the Billiard Den in Richardson (or Wizards right down the road).

Maniac

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
there is nothing like a goodpool room in dallas

the main place sports 5 9 foot GC tables with terribe pockets.unlevel
and poor managemant

seldom do you see a decent game,whereas for years the best players stopped by

please open a new pool room

i am too old for bowling

You make it. I will come!

Larry

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
for one brief shining moment . . .

When Billy and company had Diamond open it looked like an action player's heaven. Unfortunately to an outsider looking in it looked like the business plan was to make the nut gambling. For whatever reason Diamond didn't last long.

Hu

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
Could it be the no smoking situation? CJ Wiley told me that only cost him about $4 million.

mrinsatiable

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed. DFW area doesn't have any good pool rooms compared to other major cities. It's actually pretty sad since there are many pool players in Texas. You'd think the demand would create the supply.

Drew

Got a little dog in you?
Silver Member
Lol...you're complaining about Dallas? Come up to Colorado for awhile and see how you like it up here.

Run the Century

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have always felt

That a pool room located in a strategic place between Dallas and Fort Worth would make a mint (if they had good tables - Diamonds). I have a wealthy friend (pool nut) that was going to buy out Billy Wiers years ago - but he couldnt find someone to run the joint. If someone did this they would rob all the other pool halls of all their leagues and money would float in like rain.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The problem with the pool tables in the pool rooms in TX is the same problem with the pool tables in homes in TX too. In TX, no matter where you go to play pool, there's no decent pool tables anywhere...because there's NO table mechanics in TX that know what they're doing when it comes to working on pool tables. I've traveled the whole USA, and in this whole country...the worst tables I've ever run across to work on....are located in TX...bar no other state. When I rebuild GC's in LA, MS, OK, and CO....I can tell by the condition of the rails, slates, and frames....the table was bought from somewhere in TX....so I ask, and yep...but it from someone in TX.

If I ever decide to settle down and stay in one place, and want to do nothing but work on pool tables...it would be somewhere in TX I can assure you that, because I'd NEVER run out of tables to work on and fix right. Mark Gregory and I've been talking about this for some time now, and we both agree on the same thing....TX would be the place for use to team up and form a joint venture together....LMAO

Glen

Run the Century

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is one local guy

Glen that is one good mechanic - I think you know who Im talking about. The problem isnt just that there arent enough good mechanics - its that room owners here dont care about offering good equipment. There are a "glut" of owners here that offer free table time if your in a leauge - its a hook to get players in the door so they will buy food, beer etc... I swear I dont think most players out here have even played on a decent table.

Room owners go into cardiac arrest when you ask 400 for a recover and level - they are used to the hacks doing it for 250-300. They make it cosmetically look good but play terrible.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Honestly I think you can say this about almost every large city in America. I'm near Chicago and to the best of my knowledge the only pool room with great tables is Red Shoes in Alsip Il. I play at another place closer to where I live and the league I play in offered to have all 16 9' gold crowns recovered, and leveled, all the owner had to pay was for the cloth the league would handle the rest of it. Guess what he said, No Thanks. Got to love an owner like that!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Glen that is one good mechanic - I think you know who Im talking about. The problem isnt just that there arent enough good mechanics - its that room owners here dont care about offering good equipment. There are a "glut" of owners here that offer free table time if your in a leauge - its a hook to get players in the door so they will buy food, beer etc... I swear I dont think most players out here have even played on a decent table.

Room owners go into cardiac arrest when you ask 400 for a recover and level - they are used to the hacks doing it for 250-300. They make it cosmetically look good but play terrible.

I know what you're saying, but they could all learn a lesson from Skip & Jan's in Mesa, AZ:D

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Honestly I think you can say this about almost every large city in America. I'm near Chicago and to the best of my knowledge the only pool room with great tables is Red Shoes in Alsip Il. I play at another place closer to where I live and the league I play in offered to have all 16 9' gold crowns recovered, and leveled, all the owner had to pay was for the cloth the league would handle the rest of it. Guess what he said, No Thanks. Got to love an owner like that!!

I've been in Red Shoes, the tables there in MY opinion do need some serious work done to them, that being said...they're new compared to most of the tables in the pool room here in TX:D

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike Sigel exhibition

The problem with the pool tables in the pool rooms in TX is the same problem with the pool tables in homes in TX too. In TX, no matter where you go to play pool, there's no decent pool tables anywhere...because there's NO table mechanics in TX that know what they're doing when it comes to working on pool tables. I've traveled the whole USA, and in this whole country...the worst tables I've ever run across to work on....are located in TX...bar no other state. When I rebuild GC's in LA, MS, OK, and CO....I can tell by the condition of the rails, slates, and frames....the table was bought from somewhere in TX....so I ask, and yep...but it from someone in TX.

If I ever decide to settle down and stay in one place, and want to do nothing but work on pool tables...it would be somewhere in TX I can assure you that, because I'd NEVER run out of tables to work on and fix right. Mark Gregory and I've been talking about this for some time now, and we both agree on the same thing....TX would be the place for use to team up and form a joint venture together....LMAO

Glen

When Q-Spot in Tulsa wanted their tables recovered for an upcoming exhibition by Mike Sigel, they paid the best table mechanic in DALLAS to come up and git 'er done. I was there in person when the tables were done, and the feature table Sigel was to play on was as tightly stretched as I have ever seen in 25 years of playing pool. I was so impressed that I had the same mechanic come up and work on my tables. Awesome work.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member

Glen

Glen

Actually we have a great table mechanic in the Dallas market. Just because our Bars don't hire him to fix their messes doesn't mean he's incompetent. On the contrary, Jeffrey is very good.

randyg

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I hear what you guys are saying, but you need to understand...there's more to working on a pool table than just installing the cloth. I can install the cloth on a pool table as well, if not better than most table mechanic's in this country...but even as well as I can install the cloth...tight as hell and for sure no puckers under the rails, and with MY style of pocket work, in which you don't see on table in TX...that still don't make the table play right in the pockets, still don't make up for installing the wrong cushions on the rails, still don't correct the seams that are apart on the slates, and still don't make the tables level. No matter how great a table mechanic can install the cloth....at some point in time....the rails need to be fixed, the slates need to be leveled, and the cushions need to be replaced with the right cushions, and the facings in the pockets need to be installed correctly....and that's where the table mechanics in TX fail....because they think that being a table mechanic is all about changing the cloth...and that's it.

Glen

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Glen

Actually we have a great table mechanic in the Dallas market. Just because our Bars don't hire him to fix their messes doesn't mean he's incompetent. On the contrary, Jeffrey is very good.

randyg

You know what I do, when I've told a bar/pool room owner all the things that need to be fixed on their pool tables to get them up to the level they need to be...for the customers...and the bar/room owner says...."no, I'm not paying to have my tables fixed....I just want the cloth changed and that's good enough"......I walk away, and let them hire someone with lesser skills come in and work on their pool tables....until I find that ONE owner that says...."do it, because I want the best playing tables in the area"....and when the owner that turned me down calls and wants me back to do the tables right.....I tell them....naaaa, I don't have the time to work on your pool tables now, but YOUR customers at least have somewhere else to play now that I've fixed up your competitions tables!!!;)

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Glen

randyg

I don't know Jeffrey, but I do know, room owners are not dumb, they're not going to pay more money to have their pool tables fixed up right, to those that have already shown they don't have the needed skills to do the job, even if they offer to pay more to get the job done. I'll tell you this for sure, there's almost no pool room in this country that I can't walk into and offer my services to the room owner to fix their pool tables right the first time....that I get turned down....if I really want the job...at MY prices;)

Glen

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
It doesn't matter how well the tables get fixed up, it is more important how well the tables are MAINTAINED. The slobby-assed rednecks here in our state shoot with a lit cigarette over the cloth, set their beer on the rails, etc. I've seen them lift a single corner of a table trying to make an attempt at levelling the table with a drink coaster. I've walked into a bar and the owner was using the tables as a stepladder for hanging decorations on the ceiling. Just a few examples.

So, it really doesn't matter how nicely the tables are. What matters is that they are maintained.

Maniac

Last edited: