Quitting pool

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Been there, and I came back although this morning after recent events I am thinking about hanging it up for good.

I stopped playing for 6 years because of a heart issue I had. 10 months ago I had a cardiac abulation to control my rhythm. Everything was perfect for 10 months and I was playing again!. Monday evening in the middle of a match my heart goes berserk @ 170 bpm.

Try to play pool like that. I had my heart shocked yesterday to get back into normal rhythm.

If you quit be sure it is for the right reasons, or you will think about it for the rest of your days. For me it is hard to play always thinking when my own body is going to fail me. Because it has and will happen again.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, it's been a fun couple of decades, but I'm now done with pool. I have had some very bad showings in the last couple of tournaments, and I simply don't have time to keep my playing level up. My potential for improvements seems to be limited, anyway. You can only go so far without any natural talent. I've got a very good stroke and overall fundamentals, I just don't see the shots as well as the top players. Of course I will miss my pool hall friends, but it's just so disheartening to be losing all the time, even when you play the best players the country has to offer, you can only take so many beatings before it gets to you. I'm at that point. Handicaps and stuff like that have never been my cup of tea, it just makes it pointless.

Pool is just such a competitive sport, there really doesn't seem to be any reason to keep playing by oneself after a certain level has been reached, and at the top, there always seems to be the same players, year after year. Nobody can seemingly break through to that level without some level of natural talent. I have approached it at times, but I can't keep it up. So why show up, year after year, going home after the quarter finals or even on rare occation semis, when you know you'll lose to the same couple of guys no matter how well you play? I have tons of admiration for guys who can endure that and still come back for more.

The one thing that could have kept me in the game is straight pool. It's tough to even get a game these days. That's my very best game, and also my favourite. My regular playing partners quit, and nobody else ever wants to play. Everyone wants to play 10 ball or 9 ball. Frankly, I despise both these games, and especially 9 ball.

As far as knowledge goes, I feel I have gone as far as I can with pool. I mean there is always the small tidbit that can be learned, but overall I don't think knowledge can really help me get better at this point. So why hang around, when there are tons of activities one could learn, that can give you pleasure without necessarily having to be the best at it, or maybe ones I may have more talent for? I remember this sad old guy at the pool hall, playing day after day (terribly), always practising, and dying completely alone and pennyless having spent most of his life playing. That's going to be me in 20-30 years if nothing changes. Well not the pennyless and alone thing maybe, but I'd have wasted my time like he did, at something he could not possibly be any good again, no matter what. It would be ok, if he was at least happy, but that guy was miserable all the time, complaining non-stop. That guy claimed to have ran 10 racks at one point, so maybe it's not so far fetched that one could end up like that.

Well, maybe it's about time to dust off my old G-loomis and fly tying vise again. I found them in my closet the other day as I shoved my pool cue case far into the corner, possibly never to be taken out again.

Just out of curiosity - what is your high run in 14.1?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, it's been a fun couple of decades, but I'm now done with pool. I have had some very bad showings in the last couple of tournaments, and I simply don't have time to keep my playing level up. My potential for improvements seems to be limited, anyway. You can only go so far without any natural talent. I've got a very good stroke and overall fundamentals, I just don't see the shots as well as the top players. Of course I will miss my pool hall friends, but it's just so disheartening to be losing all the time, even when you play the best players the country has to offer, you can only take so many beatings before it gets to you. I'm at that point. Handicaps and stuff like that have never been my cup of tea, it just makes it pointless.

Pool is just such a competitive sport, there really doesn't seem to be any reason to keep playing by oneself after a certain level has been reached, and at the top, there always seems to be the same players, year after year. Nobody can seemingly break through to that level without some level of natural talent. I have approached it at times, but I can't keep it up. So why show up, year after year, going home after the quarter finals or even on rare occation semis, when you know you'll lose to the same couple of guys no matter how well you play? I have tons of admiration for guys who can endure that and still come back for more.

The one thing that could have kept me in the game is straight pool. It's tough to even get a game these days. That's my very best game, and also my favourite. My regular playing partners quit, and nobody else ever wants to play. Everyone wants to play 10 ball or 9 ball. Frankly, I despise both these games, and especially 9 ball.

As far as knowledge goes, I feel I have gone as far as I can with pool. I mean there is always the small tidbit that can be learned, but overall I don't think knowledge can really help me get better at this point. So why hang around, when there are tons of activities one could learn, that can give you pleasure without necessarily having to be the best at it, or maybe ones I may have more talent for? I remember this sad old guy at the pool hall, playing day after day (terribly), always practising, and dying completely alone and pennyless having spent most of his life playing. That's going to be me in 20-30 years if nothing changes. Well not the pennyless and alone thing maybe, but I'd have wasted my time like he did, at something he could not possibly be any good again, no matter what. It would be ok, if he was at least happy, but that guy was miserable all the time, complaining non-stop. That guy claimed to have ran 10 racks at one point, so maybe it's not so far fetched that one could end up like that.

Well, maybe it's about time to dust off my old G-loomis and fly tying vise again. I found them in my closet the other day as I shoved my pool cue case far into the corner, possibly never to be taken out again.

You'll be back, pool is addictive. I remember my "sad old guy" moment and also thinking I don't want to end up like that. Like you, I quit for three years, got my house in order and came back for another forty years! As I said earlier, I'm not half the player I once was, but I can still bring it once in a while. That's good enough for me. :)

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
Being someone that took the game up late (I am 43 and Ive been playing 2 years), the chances of me being an "A" player are slim. However, this is a great, very frustrating HOBBY. I can understand your dilemma, and coming to terms with our limitations is humbling, but in the end if it isnt fun you should definitely choose a better use of your time. Good luck to you.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
If you only love pool when you are winning, then you love the game way less than most of the people who post here. There's nothing wrong with trying a new hobby to see whether you can enjoy it with the kind of passion you once felt for pool, and perhaps you will find such a hobby.

How many people in any endeavor quit because they can't become one of the most elite at their trade or craft? Most are satisfied and happy with merely becoming highly proficient at that trade or craft, which is what you have already accomplished. If the joy of playing is gone, move on.

You can always come back to the game if it turns out you miss it or if you fail to find another hobby that arouses your interest as pool once did. Best of luck whatever you do.

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's all in aiming, shooting with confidence and making the right decision at the right time. Never before have we had such nice equipment available that will advance your game. Custom cues, LD shafts, layered tips and nice tables. If you play slow, that may be the reason why players duck you.

A year ago I struggled a little in missing, especially straight in shots. I attacked the problem and found if I move the cue over under my left eye, instead of my right eye, I was making every straight in shot, no matter the distance. I started playing very well again. Only you can make pool fun.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Y That's good enough for me. :)

That is everything. That is when you become at peace with yourself. No mountains to climb. Just get out there and enjoy.

To the OP... do we quit our jobs...stop working when we don't reach our quotas.
Quitting is for smoking, drinking, substance.

I'll be 71 next week. Have been playing pool since 1962. Pool has been my best friend. Most of the friendships I have made are from pool.

I have lost plenty of matches on an easy out... felt embarrassed and humiliated. So what. I'd rate myself a "C" player. Beats being a D player. If I lose to stronger player..I'm suppose to lose(I think)

I only play 1P lately. For the last week my offense has been way off. Substandard.
Real bad. So bad it will only get better.

For me a bad day is ...driving behind Hell's Angels and the horn is stuck.

Last edited:

demartini rocks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pool is an unshakeable addiction. pool is also an integral part of my life. without it there would be a huge void left to be filled by something else that i would have to find that may not be as enjoyable. i'm an admitted D+ player with infrequent flashes of a strong B. i probably should quit if i am stuck at that level of capability. despite my suckiness i will always have the desire to play this game until the day that i die. quitting this game is not an option - POOL IS LIFE!!!

i totally understand the op regarding his frustration to attain a level of exemplary play. we want to excel in our passions for any particular activity. but i guess when you are frequently falling just short in competition it will get to you.

hell i guess i should quit after this past weekend. i practice 2x a week.2 hours one day during the work week and 6 on a weekend day. dude i lose a lot to hasn't played in months. we play 5 set i only win 1. i can't beat this guy who should be rusty as fu cck and i only win one set. he actually shot real well - long term memory i suppose. the guy is B/C+ level depending on the day.
but i was flattered. guy had a long week working over 50+ hours. he would have slept until middle of the afternoon but actually woke up early and texted that we shoud play some. that was flattering so i guess i can something good out of that. we rematch in a couple of weeks. so i ain't quitting-i will get that guy's number.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So why hang around, when there are tons of activities one could learn, that can give you pleasure without necessarily having to be the best at it, or maybe ones I may have more talent for? I remember this sad old guy at the pool hall, playing day after day (terribly), always practising, and dying completely alone and pennyless having spent most of his life playing. That's going to be me in 20-30 years if nothing changes. Well not the pennyless and alone thing maybe, but I'd have wasted my time like he did, at something he could not possibly be any good again, no matter what. It would be ok, if he was at least happy, but that guy was miserable all the time, complaining non-stop. That guy claimed to have ran 10 racks at one point, so maybe it's not so far fetched that one could end up like that.

Do you have any reason to believe you'll be a better fisherman than you are at pool?

Sounds as though you should find an "Eleanor Rigby" so you can save each other from the pitfalls of old age.

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Being in my late 60s my skills in the bedroom aren't what they once were but I'm sure as heck not gonna get rid of my equipment.

Each to his own but just because a person isn't as good at something as he once was, or he comes to the realization that he'll never be pro-class at a particular activity doesn't mean he can't still have fun at it.

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
Being in my late 60s my skills in the bedroom aren't what they once were but I'm sure as heck not gonna get rid of my equipment.

Each to his own but just because a person isn't as good at something as he once was, or he comes to the realization that he'll never be pro-class at a particular activity doesn't mean he can't still have fun at it.

Amen, this is truth!

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
The reason I haven't gone your way, too, is because I find happiness in the process, not so much my results of playing.

As long as I have ANY control over that process, I can find happiness in playing.

As I've aged, physical reasons have made my game worse, but my mental abilities have so far overcome those and I'm about even playing-wise.

So, my advice, fwiw, is to engage yourself in the process of keeping your game up to whatever level you can, and enjoy that part of it. The winning/losing takes care of itself as you enjoy the process.

Jeff Livingston

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So why show up, year after year, going home after the quarter finals or even on rare occation semis, when you know you'll lose to the same couple of guys no matter how well you play?
Wow. If that has been your attitude...then I completely agree with you decision to quit pool. Pool will never give you the enjoyment you seek. Find something else, another game that you'll be able to dominate over everyone on earth. Farewell.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
Pool is a brutal game. It is unforgiving and fun if you let it be. I know the feeling of wanting to quit. It only lasts a little while. Stop playing with people better than you if it frustrates you. I know good players think they are above joining a league. BCA leagues are competitive and fun. The state tournaments are exciting and exhilarating. Accept your skill level. My Fargo Rating is only 485 and I am 70 years old. I am still trying to straighten my stroke but I accept I can only go so far. It is good enough for me. Let what you have be good enough for you.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You haven't got the will power to quit
I tried to quit 10 times
I hate the pool scene today

I thought I had it over,then Mark Gregory sold me a Centennial Table

now I am hooked again

I wish I could quit
I would rather spend my time with my wife,children and grandchildren and great grand children and
my Collie dog Buddy

But the lure of the pool room,the seedy ole pool room where the conversations are so low,the bets even lower and the people
waste their lives away has a strange power to over ride any thing like common sense

The thought that I might win one or two more six or seven figure scores while in fact
I am playing $5 one pocket is hard to explain

the days of huge wins and fun times are behind me,and not just me.I hope I haven't become
a pool room groupie

I make it a 5 to 1 proposition that you can not quit

Dream on loser,you are hooked just like the rest of the addicts

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He'll be back. Just feeling sorry for himself at the moment. He WILL eventually regret selling his cue though.

I was practicing at a local hall one day. Someone came up and asked if I would like to play a few games. My answer was..... AS MANY AS I CAN BEFORE I DIE!

The true opponents are yourself, and the table. All i can do is the best I can. Win or lose, I feel good. I didn't play worth a shit last week. But I'm going back at it tonight with a clear and open mind.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
... I move the cue over under my left eye, instead of my right eye, I was making every straight in shot, no matter the distance.
You got action on that.
Overstatement: commonly used in speech and writing, intended to bolster one's claim. However, it is a lie and serves to indicate the author is full of it.