The balls jump after hitting the rail on my Diamond Pro.. Any ideas?

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
I have an older diamond that has newer rails that were installed by Diamond installers more than 5 years ago.
I bought this table from the original owner and had it moved to my house a year ago. Table was moved and recovered by a local mechanic who does good work.. Diamond authorized too.

My question is, the balls hop a lot after hitting the rails and I am sure something is not right. It's not in all parts of the rail but it hops when hitting many areas along the rails. Can you tell me a way to measure how high the nose of the rail should be?

I am an avid player and have played on MANY diamond tables, this is not normal. I dont' remember the balls jumping when playing at the original owners home.

By the way, it's a Diamond Pro, 3 pc. slate, Solid Cherry table. It's a beauty.

I also sent this question to Diamond, wanted to see if anyone here had ideas?

Dartman

Silver Member
The measurement from the bed to the nose of the cushion should be 1 7/16"
Also eyeball down each rail to check for low spots which would cause the hopping.

Last edited:

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like wavy cushions where parts of them are too low. The ball is hitting the cushions under the center of the ball and being lifted. I'd get that mechanic back out there to glue some new ones on properly...

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I have an older diamond that has newer rails that were installed by Diamond installers more than 5 years ago.
I bought this table from the original owner and had it moved to my house a year ago. Table was moved and recovered by a local mechanic who does good work.. Diamond authorized too.

My question is, the balls hop a lot after hitting the rails and I am sure something is not right. It's not in all parts of the rail but it hops when hitting many areas along the rails. Can you tell me a way to measure how high the nose of the rail should be?

I am an avid player and have played on MANY diamond tables, this is not normal. I dont' remember the balls jumping when playing at the original owners home.

By the way, it's a Diamond Pro, 3 pc. slate, Solid Cherry table. It's a beauty.

I also sent this question to Diamond, wanted to see if anyone here had ideas?

Call me, and I'll tell you why;)

Glen 702-927-5689

Club Billiards

Absolute Billiard Service
Silver Member
Call me, and I'll tell you why;)

Glen 702-927-5689

Then call me, and tell me why! ;) I'm the mechanic that moved and installed the table. I didn't replace rubber, so any waves in the cushion would have been a result of work done at the factory, which just doesn't make sense.

The table moved from an unfinished basement to a dry finished basement, so it doesn't seem like environment should be the problem. I'm honestly a little baffled by this as well, but I want to get back out and make this table right.

Glen, you seem to have the answer, and I think I know what it is, but will you call me today and give me your insight? Thanks buddy.

Joe, I'll be in touch soon. Thanks!

MOJOE

Silver Member
Thanks Josh,

I appreciate that. You may have forgotten but it was actually moved from the great room of a single story home to my dry finished basement..

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Joe

MOJOE

Silver Member
Josh,

I left you a couple of emails. I talked to Glenn, he was very helpful and said you'd know exactly what to do once you read my email.

Thanks to Glenn for your help as well. I greatly appreciate it.

PUTT4DACA$$H

Silver Member
Time to Recalibrate the rails

Sounds like its time to recalibrate-recut the subrails to the new 2010 rail spec.'s. Then your old diamond will play "angle-in-angle-out" like all the books talk about!!! Good luck, I'm sure Glen explained to you the reasons for the ball hop, or the likely reasons, and some of the differences we have found in the rails.

Gordon
LAS Vegas

Last edited:

MOJOE

Silver Member
Sounds like its time to recalibrate-recut the subrails to the new 2010 rail spec.'s. Then your old diamond will play "angle-in-angle-out" like all the books talk about!!! Good luck, I'm sure Glen explained to you the reasons for the ball hop, or the likely reasons, and some of the differences we have found in the rails.

Gordon
LAS Vegas

PS some of the rails in Phoenix send the cue ball 2 feet off the slate coming off of the end rails!!!!If you're not careful you can end up witha hockey smile!!

Gordon, you hit it right on the nose..That's exactly what Glen said! Looking forward to having Josh from Absolute Billiards fix the rails asap..

Roadking

sweet william
Silver Member
So what was the answer?
Cause I just played on a table 2 weeks ago that did
the same thing. Someone said it was because it was
cold and damp in the room & another person said
the rails were too low.

reverend

Table Mechanic
Silver Member
So what was the answer?
Cause I just played on a table 2 weeks ago that did
the same thing. Someone said it was because it was
cold and damp in the room & another person said
the rails were too low.

Like Gordon said above, the sub-rails need to be calibrated, re-cut, to the right angles for the rails to play correctly. The nose is at the right height, but the back of the cushion that is attached to the sub-rail is not at the right angle.

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
Like Gordon said above, the sub-rails need to be calibrated, re-cut, to the right angles for the rails to play correctly. The nose is at the right height, but the back of the cushion that is attached to the sub-rail is not at the right angle.
That response implies that ALL older (and unmodified) Diamonds will play that way (hopping balls).

Mine doesn't.

PUTT4DACA$$H

Silver Member
Unmodified table

That response implies that ALL older (and unmodified) Diamonds will play that way (hopping balls).

Mine doesn't.

The degree to which the balls hop was different all around the country, but if your playing on an old spec diamond pre 2010-11 the table still banks short even if it doesn't hop. Thats why if your experiencing ball hop problems it's easier to just go forward and re-calibrate the table to the new spec's. no more banking short or playing springy (pinballing) off of the rails. The new subrail angle solves all of these problems and now your table plays like the tables they use on the pro tour and in the tournaments in Vegas. Plus every book ever written on pool talks about "angle-in-same angle out" and now these shots all work on a Diamond.

Good Luck
Gordon
Las Vegas
425-275-8255

PS I will be in Seattle later this summer with my tooling to recut rails

Dartman

Silver Member
The degree to which the balls hop was different all around the country, but if your playing on an old spec diamond pre 2010-11 the table still banks short even if it doesn't hop. Thats why if your experiencing ball hop problems it's easier to just go forward and re-calibrate the table to the new spec's. ...

Pretty bad when someone may need to invest in a rail overhaul for a 2 year old table. Obviously this supports all the people that have complained about Diamond banking in the past. I'd be interested to know how these tables left the factory if they were flawed.

Last edited:

matteroner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The degree to which the balls hop was different all around the country, but if your playing on an old spec diamond pre 2010-11 the table still banks short even if it doesn't hop. Thats why if your experiencing ball hop problems it's easier to just go forward and re-calibrate the table to the new spec's. no more banking short or playing springy (pinballing) off of the rails. The new subrail angle solves all of these problems and now your table plays like the tables they use on the pro tour and in the tournaments in Vegas. Plus every book ever written on pool talks about "angle-in-same angle out" and now these shots all work on a Diamond.

Good Luck
Gordon
Las Vegas
425-275-8255

PS I will be in Seattle later this summer with my tooling to recut rails

then does diamond pay for this ....it seems to me that this is a defect in the design and construction and should be covered?