West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
SVB
Deuel
Dominguez
Shuff
Sossei

If not Deuel, then add either Skylar or Bergman...but prior MC experience is a premium, I don't care how strong they're shooting. Hundreds of drunken "EUUUURRROPE" chants and the pressure will be tough for the young'uns to fade in these tiny short races...

JimmyD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SVB
Deuel
Dominguez
Shuff
Sossei

If not Deuel, then add either Skylar or Bergman...but prior MC experience is a premium, I don't care how strong they're shooting. Hundreds of drunken "EUUUURRROPE" chants and the pressure will be tough for the young'uns to fade in these tiny short races...

My team exactly!!!

Slider

S.F. Bay Area
Silver Member
... A well-behaved Earl? When has THAT ever happened. When he was winning? During an interview?
The only "well-behaved" Earl you are going to see is probably when he is too old to act like a fool....

People need to stop with the "Earl bashing". I thought he was great in "Nebraska".

Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSykes24

www.coreysykes.com
Silver Member
Everything Bergman has done this year has been done on a bar table, with the exception of like one event.

Shuff and Oscar + SVB, Corey, and I guess Schmidt. Bergman definitely deserves his chance, but I'm just unsure how his big table game can even be compared to that of the Europeans. I think it's just a "fan boy" mentality in here and on the forums or something.

...and I'm not bashing it -- I'd like to see him get his shot, too. I just have no idea how which way it will go. Are you guys going to give him as much as crap as you did to Dechaine after he choked up during his (1st/2nd) Mosconi appearance? Or Shuff on his first appearance?

renard

Play in these conditions?
Silver Member
Here are the eight USA players that Mark Wilson has to reduce to five:

SVB
John Schmidt
Corey Deuel
Brandon Shuff
Justin Hall
Oscar Dominguez
Justin Bergman
Jeremy Sossei

As you can see no Archer, Strickland or Morris etc

Here's a link to the article:

http://www.matchroompool.com/news/article/1la1xpp27y0761deo1k7q8z1l8/title/wilson-names-usa-squad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes that is the pool Mark must pick from. Seems his hands are tied. I think many of the teams AZers have put together outside of matchrooms box have more promise.

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have beat this list to DEATH before. They are all qualified players and so on and so on. What has to happen this time around is not just about talent but about TEAM BUILDING. Come on, we can't just show up and expect to win. The talent is too close between the USA and the Euros. This is what I expect Mark will bring to the table (no pun intended) and whether we win or not, I expect we will perform much better this time around. We are up against it this year because we are playing overseas but watch out for the following year. All systems will be go.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everything Bergman has done this year has been done on a bar table, with the exception of like one event.

Shuff and Oscar + SVB, Corey, and I guess Schmidt. Bergman definitely deserves his chance, but I'm just unsure how his big table game can even be compared to that of the Europeans. I think it's just a "fan boy" mentality in here and on the forums or something.

...and I'm not bashing it -- I'd like to see him get his shot, too. I just have no idea how which way it will go. Are you guys going to give him as much as crap as you did to Dechaine after he choked up during his (1st/2nd) Mosconi appearance? Or Shuff on his first appearance?

The one event you speak of Bergman beat Carlo Biado in the finals. Others in the field included Appleton, Kiamco, SVB, Deuel, Morris, Saez, Mika and Kang. That tournament was at Hard Times Sacramento and played on very tough 9 footers.

I don't think Bergman will choke. He stays very composed while at the table and not prone to meltdowns.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The one event you speak of Bergman beat Carlo Biado in the finals. Others in the field included Appleton, Kiamco, SVB, Deuel, Morris, Saez, Mika and Kang. That tournament was at Hard Times Sacramento and played on very tough 9 footers.

I don't think Bergman will choke. He stays very composed while at the table and not prone to meltdowns.

Yes, the Markulis was on the big tables, but Justin also finished 13th in the Derby City nine ball event which was played on big tables. This is America's hottest player other than Shane among the eight Mosconi picks. It'll be a joke if he's not one of the top five when the smoke settles.

real bartram

Real Cold Steel
Silver Member
Yes, the Markulis was on the big tables, but Justin also finished 13th in the Derby City nine ball event which was played on big tables. This is America's hottest player other than Shane among the eight Mosconi picks. It'll be a joke if he's not one of the top five when the smoke settles.

Yes he should make the team

renard

Silver Member
shayne, bergman, chip, oscar, corey

Archer as coach?

Archer for what ever reason was left off the list. I would rather have him as a player than a coach. Although he does have a calming affect on his team mates it seems.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Archer for what ever reason was left off the list. I would rather have him as a player than a coach. Although he does have a calming affect on his team mates it seems.

Archer is a bit of a tricky matter. He was coach last year and the team was less unified than ever, losing 11-2 with a team that had comparable skill to the 2012 team that lost 11-9. As a player, Archer contributed 6 points to the American effort in 2012 and zero points in 2013. Will the real Johnny Archer please stand up?

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Mark Wilson is a coach, and a good one. It's way past time that our MC team had a real coach, not just a HOF player that knows how to play but might not know how to lead, motivate, direct and inspire. The Euros figured that out years ago and it's the reason they're winning, IMHO. That, and European players generally have been coached since they started playing, so they take direction without a lot of friction. That's also why the younger field will be a plus, too.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't want to sound awful, but I have never seen Brandon Shuff play so well that I was impressed.

He seems like a super guy, I have never met him. Often I use Youtube as a reference, and also look at wins at major events. (Even 2nd and 3rd place).

Watching him play one pocket wasn't great, and I bought the 2014 DCC Banks Ring Game, and out of those players, Brandon appeared to be the weakest of the bunch.

Maybe his rotation games are super strong, I just haven't seen them. But I think you can watch a player play other games and see if he has "it" or not.

Most of the other guys everyone mentioned, seem pretty solid.

Obviously, I have mentioned my picks, and I think Mark has a few of them.

SVB to me is the only absolute.

I personally would love to see Landon and Skyler considered, but understand if others would be considered stronger.

Best of rolls to all,

Ken

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes that is the pool Mark must pick from. Seems his hands are tied. I think many of the teams AZers have put together outside of matchrooms box have more promise.

Mark's hands are certainly not tied. He picked a dozen players, reduced them down to 8 and he will select the final five.

Matchroom allowed him to do this and will have no part in the selection process.

The successor to Johan Ruysink as Euro Coach will probably be looking for a similar deal in 2015

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I don't want to sound awful, but I have never seen Brandon Shuff play so well that I was impressed.

He seems like a super guy, I have never met him. Often I use Youtube as a reference, and also look at wins at major events. (Even 2nd and 3rd place).

Watching him play one pocket wasn't great, and I bought the 2014 DCC Banks Ring Game, and out of those players, Brandon appeared to be the weakest of the bunch.

Maybe his rotation games are super strong, I just haven't seen them. But I think you can watch a player play other games and see if he has "it" or not.

Most of the other guys everyone mentioned, seem pretty solid.

Obviously, I have mentioned my picks, and I think Mark has a few of them.

SVB to me is the only absolute.

I personally would love to see Landon and Skyler considered, but understand if others would be considered stronger.

Best of rolls to all,

Ken

I've played Shuff. He used to be a regular on the Action Pool Tour, I've seen him play over 100 games of 9-10 Ball from the rail. He's a monster in rotation games, whether he's playing Mike Davis or a dead money banger like me. I'd put him at just a shade under Mike Davis speed (I've seen scores of his games, too, up close), but lately I think he'd beat him. He's definitely worthy of the MC spot. I like him over the other younger players mainly because he got his first MC out of the way, so he knows what to expect. Nothing against anyone in the running, but Shuff's more seasoned.

renard

Silver Member
Mark's hands are certainly not tied. He picked a dozen players, reduced them down to 8 and he will select the final five.

Matchroom allowed him to do this and will have no part in the selection process.

The successor to Johan Ruysink as Euro Coach will probably be looking for a similar deal in 2015

So you know it to be fact that the pool that Mark has to choose from was formed by Mark himself?