Doctor said No more Gambling

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Went to the cardiologist today for results of my tests. Thee last few times I’ve played for money my heart started racing and beating irregular. Of course my RN wife was there to tell him that recently I was having the problem mostly when I gamble. After 40+ years you’d think I’d learn not to tell her things like that.

Anyhow the doctor said no gambling on pool, no pool tournaments, or anything else that could lead to stress. He said there is just too much damage to just put a pacemaker in. He said I’d have to have a transplant. I told him even if I could get one by waiting on the list I wouldn’t take a good heart that could save the life of a young person that could have 50 or more years to live with one. The doctor said, “Don’t be a fool”. Looking for a new doctor now.:angry: I’ll quit the gambling and the other things he told me to quit, but I am going to play in a tournament close to home that if I have a problem I can just forfeit and leave. Johnnyt

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How much did you beat him out of?

Went to the cardiologist today for results of my tests. Thee last few times I’ve played for money my heart started racing and beating irregular. Of course my RN wife was there to tell him that recently I was having the problem mostly when I gamble. After 40+ years you’d think I’d learn not to tell her things like that.

Anyhow the doctor said no gambling on pool, no pool tournaments, or anything else that could lead to stress. He said there is just too much damage to just put a pacemaker in. He said I’d have to have a transplant. I told him even if I could get one by waiting on the list I wouldn’t take a good heart that could save the life of a young person that could have 50 or more years to live with one. The doctor said, “Don’t be a fool”. Looking for a new doctor now.:angry: I’ll quit the gambling and the other things he told me to quit, but I am going to play in a tournament close to home that if I have a problem I can just forfeit and leave. Johnnyt

When I read the title, I thought you had roped your doctor into a game :D

Sorry to hear about your heart problems. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

~rc

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Atenolol and Xanax- fix you up quick!!

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Johnny...just wishing you the best. Also, I do want to keep reading your posts..so listen up, okay?

Last edited:

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
Johnny you are lucky, doc told me my weiner would fall if I kept up gambling. Please take care of yourself.

bigshooter

<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
Silver Member
Can you use a beta blocker?

Lowers the heart rate and keeps your body calm, musicians use them illegally for performance anxiety, people use them for speaking in public too.

I was on one for blood pressure for awhile, they work wonders in keeping you calm.

Big Perm

1pkt 14.1 8 Banks 9 10
Silver Member
Johnny, thoughts and prayers to you bro....just take care of yourself man, do whatever you gotta do....

So like sixpack said, how much cheese did you beat the doc out of??? :D

blah blah

Shoebat
It sounds like both your RN wife and your doctor are looking out for you. Your stubbornness and sense of humor can also be your strength, just choose your battles. Best thoughts and prayers.

9BallPaul

Banned
Keep posting, pal

Johnny, speaking as a guy with a zipper on my chest (mitral valve replacement) I can tell you that beta blockers work for me. Had a physical yesterday and my pulse is down to a resting 60, blood pressure normal.

Of course, I walk a lot (around the table and around my neighborhood) and I ride my bike daily in good weather. So that helps too. Good luck. I've enjoyed your forum posts.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
You are lucky that it is only gambling.

The doctor told me that if I wanted to live another 10 years I would have to give up half of my sex life.

I asked him "What half, thinking about it or talking about it?"

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
JohnnyT I just watched "The Wrestler" if you gotta go out, go out on your terms buddy! Keep hitting the balls and take care of yourself. Just think, maybe your heart saved you from getting hustled or into another bar scramble. Cheers my man!

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Go ask an old drunk

Johnny,

My advice is to go ask an old drunk for a second opinion. There are a hell of a lot more old drunks than old doctors! :D :D :D

When my heart started acting up the doc told me to avoid sex. I objected still being on the spry side of fifty so he relented a little. "OK, you can have sex but only with your wife. No excitement."

He didn't know quite how exciting that would be. I haven't seen her for six or eight years and her current husband would probably have some objections to me following doctor's orders.

On a serious note, sounds like time to be smart about things. On the other hand, don't take all the fun out of life. I don't think anything kills you quicker than having nothing to enjoy.

Hu

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

i heard that transplanted harts only last like 10 years then they have to be replaced.

that's rough news. is it just tough games that do it to you or does soft action still make your heart beat funny?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

There is more to life than gambling.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Thank you all for the kind words and the jokes which were cool too. I am in no way giving up or stopping playing pool. I can give up the little gambling I do on the pool table now. What really will hurt is giving up betting dogs and watch my money go around the track on the net. Oh well, with the extra time I'll probably start writing again. Thank you all again. Johnnyt

junkbond

The dog ate my stroke.
Silver Member
Best of luck to you, Johnny. There aren't many of us left who know what a Henry J was (mine had the shift lever moved to the left of the steering column so I could shift with my left hand and put my right arm around my girlfriend while driving).

Hang in there.

Meezer Girl

not now, I'm eating !!!
Silver Member
Thank you all for the kind words and the jokes which were cool too. I am in no way giving up or stopping playing pool. I can give up the little gambling I do on the pool table now. What really will hurt is giving up betting dogs and watch my money go around the track on the net. Oh well, with the extra time I'll probably start writing again. Thank you all again. Johnnyt

Please do take care of yourself as we would all still love to hear your stories.

Maybe you could take some up & coming young player under your wing and teach him/her the beauty of the game to help occupy your time :smile: