Efren "Bata" Reyes wins again

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
Efren wins the Vigo Open in Spain.

He beat Niels Feijen 11-8 in the finals.

Rodney Morris and Fransisco Bustamante tied for 3rd. I know Oscar Dominguez and Daryl Peach got 5th (lost to Niels and Efren).

About 8 000 $ first prize if I am not mistaken.

Many of the best players including Souquet, Ortmann, Alcaide were present, and they are all now heading to Qatar for the World 9-ball Championship.

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member

Rodney Morris and Fransisco Bustamante tied for 3rd. I know Oscar Dominguez and Daryl Peach got 5th (lost to Niels and Efren).

About 8 000 $ first prize if I am not mistaken

And I thought he would retiring soon. Thanks for the update Roy. Johnnyt

incognito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Many of the best players including Souquet, Ortmann, Alcaide were present, and they are all now heading to Qatar for the World 9-ball Championship.

It's amazing! He's 56 years old, way past his prime, still winning tournaments, and maybe still the best player on earth. :smile:

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
And I thought he would retiring soon. Thanks for the update Roy. Johnnyt

I thought he was on the downhill too, cause he hadn't won much internationally the past few years.

So far he has showed us all this year, huh?

Derby City Classic 9-ball Champion
Derby City Classic 10-ball Champion
runner-up at Derby City Bank Pool
winner of the DCC All-Around
2nd in Japan Open
Vigo Open Champion

And that's the tournaments he has played this year, and still he is nr 1 on the AZBilliards Money List.

COME ON BATA!!! Win the World 9-ball too!

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
It's good to see Efren still winning tournaments. Maybe there's hope for us old farts!

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I thought he was on the downhill too, cause he hadn't won much internationally the past few years.

So far he has showed us all this year, huh?

Derby City Classic 9-ball Champion
Derby City Classic 10-ball Champion
runner-up at Derby City Bank Pool
winner of the DCC All-Around
2nd in Japan Open
Vigo Open Champion

And that's the tournaments he has played this year, and still he is nr 1 on the AZBilliards Money List.

COME ON BATA!!! Win the World 9-ball too!

He really pigged out at the DCC. In addition to the ones you listed, he also won the Fatboy challenge this year. Short field but there is sure no dead money in that event either.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's amazing! He's 56 years old, way past his prime, still winning tournaments, and maybe still the best player on earth. :smile:

But the Vigo tournament was 9-ball, a slop/luck game. And we all know that Efren just gets lucky a lot. :smile:

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for telling us. It brings a smile to my face to hear the Magician is doing well. There are very few people who could be a better representative of what pool can be all about. With role models like Efren Reyes, Johnny Archer, Rodney Morris, Ralph Souquet and a few others pool as a sport is doing well. It is the best of times and the worst of times (money wise).

mcmlb55

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
vigo open

does anyone know if it was streamed or if someone will rebroadcast it?

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

Waaay past his prime may be more appropriate for the game of golf, our game has yet to determine where they point actually is. We can look no further than Tom Watson in golf where strength does matter in ones later years yet he's still knocking on the door. Knowledge and seasoning go a loooooooooong way in the billiard world. I think eyesight and performance is our sports biggest factor when the greatest players are in there late 50's and early 60's. Lately the older players world wide seem to be doing better than the 20 yr olds and there's a good reason for that I'm sure.

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member

Nice finish for Oscar! :thumbup:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reports of Efren's retirement were premature.

I had to laugh at DCC when the commentators were saying Efren's game had slipped. He slipped all the way to the master of the table award.

He just keeps getting lucky doesn't he?

Piercyexclusive

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He is one of the greats if not the great...hope he plays long enough to play with one of my cues someday even if it maybe for sh!ts and giggle......
Efren is you are reading this.... sana malaro mo ang aking cue.... diba, pwede magasa.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Thanks Roy.

And thanks Efren! -- You've made a lot of pool players happy all these many years. Keep bringing the good fight.