Si Meng Chen

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just watched this young lady (only 17) play for the first time this week in the Philippine Open. She won easily over a very strong field, soundly defeating Kelly Fisher 9-3 in the finals.

Okay here you go - She is already the best women player of all time! Bar none! The best I ever saw. Yes, better than Balukas or Allison. Will she go on to have a long career like Allison and win as many championships? Only time will tell. She is the Tiger Woods of women's pool, a notch above the competition. Just as Allison revolutionized the game 15 years ago, Ms. Chen will do likewise. There are already many very good women players, but none with her skills. They will have to elevate their games to keep pace with her.

In the past, when I watched the top women play against men, I always felt like I was watching a very good woman player compete. Watching Si Meng play there is no sense of a woman playing well, only of watching an excellent player at the table. She has transcended sex and all its implications with her remarkable abilities. No longer do I find myself saying this is a woman who plays like a man (Jasmin for instance). With Si Meng I see only a great pool player playing the game at a very high level. Once again she is a notch above the rest. Her game is more like a top male player, and I mean TOP male player, ala Ralf, Mika or Shane. Yes, she's that good.

This is one woman who is not an underdog against anyone! She has all the tools - great cue ball control, pin point shot making, a smooth powerful stroke and the intensity and focus to win at all times (P.S. She doesn't miss either!). How she would fare against the top men I do not know. There is a psychological factor here that remains to be seen. Based on ability alone, I would place her well within the top 50 pool players on the planet right now. I couldn't say that about any other women before.

Her knowledge of the game is well advanced for a player her age, and I suspect she has been at it for more than ten years already. I see a fluidity in her stroke that only comes after hitting millions of balls. I have learned that none other then Wu Cha Ching has spent time tutoring her in China and it shows. She plays more like a 27 year old who has been competing a long time. I did see one or two spots where she may have overlooked a shot on a safety option, but that's about the only hole I saw in her game. These little nuances she will pick up quickly I'm sure. She shared in an interview that she was inspired watching Allison play when she was 4 or 5. I have a feeling, like other great Chinese athletes, she became dedicated to pool at a very young age. I suspect this is her full time job and has been for a long time.

By the way, the Chinese women (both from the mainland and Chinese Taipai) are quickly becoming the dominant force in women's pool. So many good players coming out of these two regions. I KNEW it was only a matter of time before there was a woman who had all the skills of any man. Well, there is one now and her name is Si Meng Chen. She is the first women who I can confidently say has the skills to win a major open tournament, like the U.S. Open or the World Championships. With this young lady, all the old stereotypes are reversed. Most of the men players will be the underdogs playing against her! Only the very best men will have a chance when they face this terrific young pool player.

Last edited:

risky biz

Banned
I just watched this young lady (only 17) play for the first time this week in the Philippine Open. She won easily over a very strong field, soundly defeating Kelly Fisher 9-4 (9-3?) in the finals.

Okay here you go - She is already the best women player of all time! Bar none! The best I ever saw. Yes, better than Balukas or Allison. Will she go on the have a long career like Allison and win as many championships. Only time will tell. She is the Tiger Woods of women's pool.

I'm making a note of that name based on your impression.

It's a shame Jean Balukas didn't continue and fulfill her potential.

GADawg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just watched this young lady (only 17) play for the first time this week in the Philippine Open. She won easily over a very strong field, soundly defeating Kelly Fisher 9-4 (9-3?) in the finals.

Okay here you go - She is already the best women player of all time! Bar none! The best I ever saw. Yes, better than Balukas or Allison. Will she go on the have a long career like Allison and win as many championships. Only time will tell. She is the Tiger Woods of women's pool.

Jay -

I watched Chen play in the World Championships in China a few months ago and she looked strong there also. She took out Pan in the quarterfinals I think.

I don't know if I would call her the best ever yet, but she sure did look strong this week and very composed also. In her 9-3 win over Kelly, I only recall one missed ball (9 in the side) and a couple pushout/opening shot errors. Other than that, perfect pool.

Last edited:

maldito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
She must be tremendous last yr she beat Allison at 16 ysr of age in China Open -
and I believe she was undefeated in this tournament . Thanx for the info Jay

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But is she hot???? :)

That's her on the right.:thumbup:

Chen.jpg

http://pool.bz/content/109-si-ming-...ampion-while-allison-fisher-moves-into-1.html

jwpretd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The future of pool

There has been discussion on this forum about the future of pool. When Jay Helfert hands out praise like this to a 17 year old Chinese woman, it goes toward confirming what I've thought for quite some time: As with table tennis, the future of pool lies in China and Southeast Asia over the next twenty or so years, if those governments want it to be so.

AnitoKid

And I kid you not!
Silver Member
It was also my first time to see her play. And I thought to myself,
WOW! Who is this girl? Her pocketing and cueball positioning skills
are so like - PERFECT!

From the first rack to the last one, she had a face that was so
serious and all. And when she goes down for the stroke - you can
clearly see her eyebrows reaching for the other - like a trance of sort,
all focused on the specific task at hand at that point in time.
And she did this from the moment they had the lag - to the final rack.
*I have noticed this trait in one of my all-time favorite players - only one
player besides her.

Only when she bagged the title did she let out a brief yell. And who
could blame her? She just beat the world's best at a tender young age
of 17! That is one AWESOME FEAT in my book! Or in anyone's book!

I also noticed that before she breaks, she looks at her break cue,
making sure that the logo of the break cue is aligned on top.
Only then she goes down for the break.

And she makes sure that she chalks good, too - from start to finish!
Not wanting to waste any shot on miscues and all.

I agree with you, Jay. She is the best and belongs to the
best of the best there is for all time. Pool is in for an era.

AnitoKid

I just watched this young lady (only 17) play for the first time this week in the Philippine Open. She won easily over a very strong field, soundly defeating Kelly Fisher 9-3 in the finals.

Okay here you go - She is already the best women player of all time! Bar none! The best I ever saw. Yes, better than Balukas or Allison. Will she go on to have a long career like Allison and win as many championships? Only time will tell. She is the Tiger Woods of women's pool, a notch above the competition. Just as Allison revolutionized the game 15 years ago, Ms. Chen will do likewise. There are already many very good women players, but none with her skills. They will have to elevate their games to keep pace with her.

In the past, when I watched the top women play against men, I always felt like I was watching a very good woman player compete. Watching Si Meng play there is no sense of a woman playing well, only of watching an excellent player at the table. She has transcended sex and all its implications with her remarkable abilities. No longer do I find myself saying this is a woman who plays like a man (Jasmin for instance). With Si Meng I see only a great pool player playing the game at a very high level. Once again she is a notch above the rest. Her game is more like a top male player, and I mean TOP male player, ala Ralf, Mika or Shane. Yes, she's that good.

This is one woman who is not an underdog against anyone! She has all the tools - great cue ball control, pin point shot making, a smooth powerful stroke and the intensity and focus to win at all times (P.S. She doesn't miss either!). How she would fare against the top men I do not know. There is a psychological factor here that remains to be seen. Based on ability alone, I would place her well within the top 50 pool players on the planet right now. I couldn't say that about any other women before.

Her knowledge of the game is well advanced for a player her age, and I suspect she has been at it for more than ten years already. I see a fluidity in her stroke that only comes after hitting millions of balls. I have learned that none other then Wu Cha Ching has spent time tutoring her in China and it shows. She plays more like a 27 year old who has been competing a long time. I did see one or two spots where she may have overlooked a shot on a safety option, but that's about the only hole I saw in her game. These little nuances she will pick up quickly I'm sure. She shared in an interview that she was inspired watching Allison play when she was 4 or 5. I have a feeling, like other great Chinese athletes, she became dedicated to pool at a very young age. I suspect this is her full time job and has been for a long time.

By the way, the Chinese women (both from the mainland and Chinese Taipai) are quickly becoming the dominant force in women's pool. So many good players coming out of these two regions. I KNEW it was only a matter of time before there was a woman who had all the skills of any man. Well, there is one now and her name is Si Meng Chen. She is the first women who I can confidently say has the skills to win a major open tournament, like the U.S. Open or the World Championships. With this young lady, all the old stereotypes are reversed. Most of the men players will be the underdogs playing against her! Only the very best men will have a chance when they face this terrific young pool player.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
17? Jay, I know you like Asian women but 17 is a little young even for a stepper like you. j/k

You're saying a lot about a pool player whom you have only seen once in your life.

Are you trying out as her agent? If so, great first start. We want to see more of Si Meng Chen.

Thanks for the heads-up.

JoeyA

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Thanks for the report Jay. Last year Ga Young Kim was asked if any women in Asia could beat her. She said there were women in China and Taiwan that could give her the 8 and she didn't have to like it. I find it amazing how they pocket balls. No fear of long shots at all and pinpoint position. Johnnyt

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I know that Xiao-Fang Fu and Sha Sha Liu are coming to the US in late May or early June to compete with the men in tournaments. I'd like to see 17 year old wonder (Si Meng Chen) come over with them. Johnnyt

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow, Jay, what enthusiastic praise! I've not yet seen Si Meng (Siming?) Chen play; are any videos readily available?

Last edited:
Si Meng is a product of the fabled government sponsored training. When she won in Shanghai over Allison in the finals the minister of sport in that area made a point of telling everyone that the Ministry's investment in pool training had paid off. Not all Chinese players enjoy government sponsored training camps.

Wu Jing who got in the top six plays in Xiamen and as far as we know trains in the club she is house pro in.

Liu Sha Sha who got in the top four in this event put a six pack on Karen Corr in the 2010 World 9 ball Championships when she was down 5:1 against Corr.

The discipline that the Chinese show, men and women is at a very very very high level. rarely do you see serious players with floppy strokes and lazy attitudes. This country is benefiting from being at a crossroads for pool and snooker with world class players in both disciplines for the youth to look up to. They have the influence of the Taiwanese for pool and of the British for Snooker.

If there were a women's tour worth dominating then the Chinese are forming their own great wall of talent to dominate it. They don't see pool as a sport that has to be dominated by men and the women here work very hard to insure that they have every skill on the table that any man has. The aforementioned Wu Jing regularly wins citywide events here in Xiamen against very tough male competition. In a recent countrywide event she took 4th place, only losing to Fong Pang Chao.

Also in China for some reason it seems as if the sponsors are more keen to support the women's game. That could be some social thing or sexist thing but right now a lot of money is flowing into the women's game in China.

sydbarret

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
he's right, I actually watched some of the match live on espn. They have that in asia, live pool.

Anyways she was playing as good as anybody, forget sex.

jwpretd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also in China for some reason it seems as if the sponsors are more keen to support the women's game. That could be some social thing or sexist thing but right now a lot of money is flowing into the women's game in China.

Probably political as much as anything else. It'd be easy to dominate women's pool, given even modest resources, and especially if you started ten years ago or so. As with table tennis, there's no real money in it for private individuals in the rest of the world, it's a fairly cheap sport to fund, and as far as I know there's no other government program in other countries.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just watched this young lady (only 17) play for the first time this week in the Philippine Open. She won easily over a very strong field, soundly defeating Kelly Fisher 9-3 in the finals...

...With this young lady, all the old stereotypes are reversed. Most of the men players will be the underdogs playing against her! Only the very best men will have a chance when they face this terrific young pool player.

Jay, what a great read. Thanks for starting this thread, too! It is cool to learn of the latest pool news from those who know what's happening.

Brilliant review written by one of pool's finest. :)