1999 WPC Reyes vs Chang

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hello, everyone! :thumbup:

I'm currently in the process of uploading the 1999 World 9 ball Championship Final match between Efren Reyes and Chang Hao-Ping. Check it out! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXktop7unuc&feature=channel_page

You can find the other parts in the "more from" section.

Just thought you'd like to know that I own the North American video/dvd rights to the 1999 and 2000 WPC. The copies I sell were made straight from the one inch masters.

I know I can't do anything about this kind of stuff because so many copies have been sold all over the place. If anyone is interested in seeing ALL the televised matches from those two years (and there were some doozies), contact me directly.

jayhelfert@yahoo.com

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for posting that cool match.

The thing that I immediately noticed was the lack of the measle CB.

The times, they are a changin'. :)

teedotaj

teedot oohhhhhh
Silver Member
wow that's how you sound like? Jay you sound really young :p
I thought you'd have a deeper voice :p

muddawg

Chill Out
Silver Member
Just thought you'd like to know that I own the North American video/dvd rights to the 1999 and 2000 WPC. The copies I sell were made straight from the one inch masters.

I know I can't do anything about this kind of stuff because so many copies have been sold all over the place. If anyone is interested in seeing ALL the televised matches from those two years (and there were some doozies), contact me directly.

jayhelfert@yahoo.com

Do you mind me having it up on youtube? Since you own the rights, if you wish for me to take it down, I'll take it down immediately.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I guess by this time it is no big deal. I kind of expected it to happen eventually with the technology today. Surprised it hadn't happened sooner. I sold quite a few VIDEOS years ago when I first made the deal with Matchroom back in 2000. They licensed me to sell the 1999 and 2000 matches in North America, since we had no television coverage over here.

I'm sure there were people who recorded these matches when they first aired in Europe and Asia. I'm just trying to protect my rights (and Matchrooms), even though that is near impossible today. I rarely sell any copies of these matches anymore, even though they are listed on my website. I finally converted them to DVD a couple of years ago.

nathandumoulin

WPBL / RUNOUT MEDIA
Silver Member
Great commentary actually. Its nice to put a voice to the face (or avatar :p)

Also, thank you for your generosity Jay. I've never seen this match before, and very much appreciate you allowing it to stay posted.

+ Rep (as if you need it lol)

junkbond

The dog ate my stroke.
Silver Member
I was REALLY young! It was ten years ago and I'm only 39 now! :thumbup:

I guess I'll have to thumb through Pool Wars and see where I got off track. For some reason, I thought that while you were playing pool in Norman, OK, I was playing snooker in a little hick town about twenty miles south of there. Guess I'd better redo the math. Might have to send back these SS checks I've been getting. :banghead:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I guess I'll have to thumb through Pool Wars and see where I got off track. For some reason, I thought that while you were playing pool in Norman, OK, I was playing snooker in a little hick town about twenty miles south of there. Guess I'd better redo the math. Might have to send back these SS checks I've been getting. :banghead:

Norman, Oklahoma was a hick town! What are you talking about? :thumbup:
I can remember driving all over town at ten o'clock at night trying to find anyplace open where I could play pool. I mean the streets shut down at nine.

nathandumoulin

WPBL / RUNOUT MEDIA
Silver Member
I take it back. The commentary was great until you left and that other dude took over (not Wych...the UK fella). He drives me nuts when he randomly puts emphasis on the wrong words. lol

8ball-alex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I am correct, Vegar Kristiansen got a bronze medal from WPC 9-ball in 1999, were any of his matches recorded?

Tnx=)

Biggz

Unregistered
Silver Member
I have a copy of this match and I must say that this was one of the best pool I've seen in my life. Efren was still at his best. He made chang look like a B player that night. Efren was in dead stroke from the semis all the way thru the finals. There was no way of denying him winning the title.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
If I am correct, Vegar Kristiansen got a bronze medal from WPC 9-ball in 1999, were any of his matches recorded?

Tnx=)

You must be thinking of a different year. Vegar did not play in ANY TV matches at the WPC that year. That may have been the year the WPA tried to compete against Matchroom with their own version of the World 9-Ball Championships, with a watered down field. He may have done well in this version of the WPC. After that the WPA gave up and sanctioned the Matchroom event from then on. They couldn't compete with Matchroom so they just "gave" the WPC to them.

BarryCuda

Registered
Am I the only one who noticed Efren picking his nose about 2 minutes into the first vid? On national TV? Come on man....

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
efren does that a little, and coughs up phelgm (tho did I hear he quit smoking?)

This is a pretty cool match, vintage efren. I swear that although he is more in his prime in 1999 than he is today, and is already very experienced, I see him making small errors that he wouldn't now.

What makes this set of games entertaining is that it seems like the 9 ends up hanging in a pocket rack after rack.

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I take it back. The commentary was great until you left and that other dude took over (not Wych...the UK fella). He drives me nuts when he randomly puts emphasis on the wrong words. lol

Thank You!! I though I was the only one annoyed by him. That would be Sid Waddell, not only does he put emphasis on the wrong words (on purpose, I'm sure) he says strange things too, he has a famous quote where he says "he hit that as sweet as a macadamian nut!"

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
yeah sid's kind of a dink. I had to pause this match and catch up with it later and got a laugh when I heard Jim say something like "and a young american, corey deuel, got five 9 balls in off the break earlier in this event" ...sounds like corey already knew all the secrets of the rack even 10 years ago.