2 things that bug me in posts

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All right. Here's something that bugs me. When a member has to ask what, for example, the "break and pick one" means, and the only content they contribute to the forum is sarcasm on flame threads. IOW, it is obvious their pool knowledge is limited, but they sure know how to play tag team pretty doggone good, consisting of 99.9 percent of their non-pool-related posts.

flash5153

none
Silver Member
Since this a forum that people that play pool come to ,and your referring to grammar.
I will say this!!

If you asked Efren Reyes what the affect of tapper roll is,,,,,,he would say,,,,,,,,About $50 a game,,,rack-em!!!

billyjungle

jack russell breeder
Silver Member
got more degrees than most thermometers

sex with women teachers is great...if u dnt du it jus da way they like dey keep you duing it over an over til ya get it jest write....................................just my name,boss:thumbup:

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
The thing I refuse to tolerate and will berate until the day I die is the 'texting' language. U NO Y? Because it is lazy and hard to read.

When people ask me "plz" because it's shorter than "please", I tell them "no" because it's shorter than "yes".

Aten

m8
Silver Member
In general its not the small things like misusing an abbreviation or putting e before i even though it's not after c or even occasionally using incorrect grammar or having way too many smilies or 6000 ellipsis or accidentally spelling a word slightly incorrectly but what really gets on my nerves is when somebody writes the way I've been writing in this post so far you know what I mean just word after word after word with no end in sight nor any signs of pauses or whatever just mindless trains of thought and you think to yourself screw this i'm completely lost in this fool's messy and unorganized post

Seriously, period and commas exist for a reason. I'm not much of a grammar Nazi, but it really helps the legibility of one's posts when one tries their best to utilize grammar (and please don't just slap down a comma whenever your brain pauses to think about what to write). It has nothing to do with trying to appear smart. Additionally, while it is true that sometimes those with "poor grammar" can still possess great character and those with "excellent grammar" may not, the converse doesn't necessarily have to stand. One's ability to communicate in written English has hardly any connection with the quality of their person.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
i can spell just fine.

problem is, i never learned to type ! LOL

i hated typing as a student, so i certainly wasnt going to voluntarily sit thru a typing class. but of course it caught up to me later, having to suffer thru the hunt-n-peck method until i could spell my own name.

so most of the time, for the sake of speed, i just type lazy style with minimal punctuation and not much concern about spellings. neither tori nor aaron.

Come to think of it, I also haven't written anything in cursive, other than my signature, since I was about 16. At this point, I highly doubt that I could produce a proper cursive alphabet even if I had to. I like to think of my handwriting as artistically disfunctional and I permanently blame the drafting instructors. LOL

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a social anthropologist by training, but I also dabble in sociology and political economy. I really enjoy teaching, sometimes to the detriment of my research projects, but very much to the service of my overall enjoyment of work and life. Now, if only there were time to play some pool...

Very cool. I love teaching as well. It was a later discovery for me. I teach medical board review. (USMLE)

I bet we could have some great conversations over a pool game......if we had time for pool...... :D

Aten

m8
Silver Member
Cool, you won't mind me telling you that this sentence is a poor example, as it should be: '...it really helps the legibility of one's posts when HE tries HIS best to utilize grammar...'.

You see, 'their' is a plural possessive while 'one' is singular subject.

:thumbup:

Actually, 'their' can be used as an indefinite singular antecedent as well. While I could have written "when one tries one's best", there is nothing wrong with my usage of 'their' in that sentence. Feel free to refer to the Oxford English Dictionary for confirmation.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
"If you can't express yourself, you'll always be a slave."
..attributed to Socrates

I like using the vernacular, like 'gotta', 'thanx', 'whatdiya'....etc.
...and I'd like a dollar for every typo I've made....
...and I've been corrected in such a manner that I've almost fell off my
chair laughing....
...and I think posters that use English as a second language are treated
very gently here.

But if you are careless about how you communicate and think it's no big
deal, stop complaining...we probably can't understand you anyway.

I think the majority of posters on this forum are always improving.

Words are a marvelous thing.

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Your instead of You're

To instead of Too

These too mistakes irrate the bejesus out fo me :angry:

flash5153

none
Silver Member
i can spell just fine.

problem is, i never learned to type ! LOL

i hated typing as a student, so i certainly wasnt going to voluntarily sit thru a typing class. but of course it caught up to me later, having to suffer thru the hunt-n-peck method until i could spell my own name.

so most of the time, for the sake of speed, i just type lazy style with minimal punctuation and not much concern about spellings. neither tori nor aaron.

Come to think of it, I also haven't written anything in cursive, other than my signature, since I was about 16. At this point, I highly doubt that I could produce a proper cursive alphabet even if I had to. I like to think of my handwriting as artistically disfunctional and I permanently blame the drafting instructors. LOL

The typing thing. When I was in school and had typing class,,,I always thought to myself. When am I ever going to need to type in my life??? lol

Who woulda thunk this internet thing was coming back then? But then they changed the keyboards a little,,,so it was a loss,, to a point.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Im dyslexic....

thank you for your opinion on what you think of me because of my writing skills.
MMike

In the game of 9-ball, do you shoot from the nine-ball down to the one-ball?

J/K, I hope you don't mind me poking a little fun at an otherwise serious condition!!!

Shoot well, my friend!!!

Maniac

9 on the snap

Budweiser fears me
Silver Member
I did'nt read most of it but two things jumped out at me.

Of course table size effects your game!

A taper roll shouldn't effect the playabilititty of a cue.