2009 AZ Straight Pool Challenge!

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
I ran a 27 and a 33 in friendly competition last night. It was on an 8-foot table with medium-tight pockets. It was most likely my highest run on an 8-foot table as I usually play on 9-foot tables. My friend dominated me, playing very steady and punishing me on my misses with runs that generally ended safe. At one point the match was 11 to 90-something, but it ended 116 to 150, so I rallied a bit in the end.

I'm looking forward to trying it again so I'll get more practice on an 8-foot table.

sausage

Banned
Ran 84 this eve

i was piddling and getting pissed then i decided to get serious but stay relaxed like reyes and stop second guessing my aim. it worked! i ran 84 with a good rhythm and no hail mary shots. my run ended when i scratched on a nice angle, behind the rack break on rack 7 because i took jim rempe's advice. he says on his video: if you go into the center of the pack from the back, "just hit-em, balls are going to scatter everywhere..." well i did just that and yes, balls did scatter but my cue beelined for the corner pocket. end of run..... i gotta practice those break balls and see what works. damn you king james......:mad:

Last edited:

justin.powell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ran forty today in practice on my table at home. Good for me, and close to my high run. I thought I was going to break it :).

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Training: 139 on Brunswick 8 Feet 122 on 9 Feet Century
League: 72

started september to play again after 10 years break

2 weeks ago 44

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
hi,

league starts in 2 days :)

yesterday shot 59 in training-

the other breaks were from about 1993/94 as i remember correctly. the 72 shot on qualifying tournament for german champion ship in 1992. long long ago.... ^^ but cue feels good again. just satisfying to play again, thats the most important.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yeeeeaaaaah! :D

Put me up with 100! Just ran the big one yesterday! :D And considering I had trouble running 60 this year it is really BIG for me! :) Alex Lely gave me really great advice yesterday (I really LOVE internet right now:grin:) and in 2 hours the result came..:)

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Put me up with 100! Just ran the big one yesterday! :D And considering I had trouble running 60 this year it is really BIG for me! :) Alex Lely gave me really great advice yesterday (I really LOVE internet right now:grin:) and in 2 hours the result came..:)

Congrats on hitting the magic number. More to come, I hope.

What was the advice?

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Hehe Marek,

Alex Lely is a really nice guy- met him long ago on a tournamet in Leiden/Netherlands (about 15 years ago)when he was already a very good player. Even if he tried to *shark* me later i really liked him. Has a nice style to play, too.

lg
Ingo

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hehe Marek,

Alex Lely is a really nice guy- met him long ago on a tournamet in Leiden/Netherlands (about 15 years ago)when he was already a very good player. Even if he tried to *shark* me later i really liked him. Has a nice style to play, too.

lg
Ingo

Hi!
Alex really is nice guy although I dont like his stroke. But noone can deny that he alwas had tons of heart! :)

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
update :)

Hi! Things can change fast....put me up with 110! :D I managed to pull it off yesterday after only 5 hours of sleep...run ended by rattling rather easy ball, I couldnt hold my concetration any more, I was REALLY tired..

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Awesome Shooting.......

You should have walked away gone to the bathroom and freshened up.......Just Like Jackie Gleason in the Hustler.

When i am starting to get into some good numbers, i step away from the upcoming rack take a drink of water and wipe off my cue.

It helps me clear my head for the upcoming break and rack !

So what is this secret of your recent success ????

Steve

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
secret

Awesome Shooting.......

So what is this secret of your recent success ????

Steve

I stopped to think about my aiming and and I am just shooting the balls. My body apparently knows better than my brain how to aim. :grin:

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
I've been playing a lot of 9B ring games lately now that my 14.1 league is complete. 9B can tear up my stroke, but ring games will put it in the coffin. So I've been in a long slump that I decided to put to bed today. I grabbed my cue & set up a 14.1 break shot and chiseled my way to a 54. It was a clean run. Not my best # for the year, but it felt good to find my stroke once again. The run came to an end because I failed to develop a break ball early. I took a chance late in the rack to push a ball into position & left myself dead to a combo.

Skess

Another sidearmer...
Silver Member
I put up a 41 last night. It' not my best ever, but my best this year. This will bump my 37 up the board.

The 37 is still my high on video. I'm hoping to improve that before the end of the year.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Just Christened my new cue on 11/28/09

Hey guys,

you can call it the placebo effect of a new cue, or whatever....

but i just christened my new cue with a 108, missed the next shot cause my only shot was to jack up over a 4 ball cluster shooting a table length cut down the rail. Missed it by an inch ! oh well........

cant wait to see what the rest of this can do once i get my longer shaft in a few weeks !!!!

Steve

Last edited:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Just Christened my new cue

Hey guys,

you can call it the placebo effect of a new cue, or whatever....

but i just christened my new cue with a 108, missed the next shot cause my only shot was to jack up over a 4 ball cluster shooting a table length cut down the rail. Missed it by an inch ! oh well........

cant wait to see what the rest of this can do once i get my longer shaft in a few weeks !!!!

Steve

Cool! Congratulations. 108 is awful nice. :thumbup:

Tell me you get it on video.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
sorry Dennis no video !!!!!

funny thing is, my wife told me to bring the camera when i was leaving. i told he jokingly i was goona run 100 Balls and leave, she replied okay, i know you can do it bring the camera........

Doh, i guess they were right when they say to always listen to your wife !!!