2023 International Open, Oct 30 - Nov 4, Norfolk

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yet another major fills early. The International Open has a full field of 128 players. Besides the 9-ball main event, there will also be the Bigfoot 10-ball Invitational (10-foot table) and the Junior International Championships with 24 players. (Apparently there's no one pocket this year.)

2023 International Open Dates
10-BALL: October 30-November 1, 2023 (3 days, Mon-Wed)
9-BALL: October 30-November 4, 2023 (6 days, Mon-Sat)
JUNIORS: November 2-4, 2023 (3 days, Thu-Sat)
Also, Niels Feijen's Hall of Fame induction ceremony will be on Friday, Nov. 3rd.

Since there is no one pocket, there will be no overlap with the American 14.1 Championship in Virginia Beach this year. Straight pool runs Oct. 25-29 at Q-Master, right before the Open.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do they do the spectator seating at the 14.1? All first come first serve for free at Q Master? Reserved seats around the "arena"?

Flakeandrun

I have Wayne Parker (430) vs. Jung Lin Cheng (828) as our leader for largest Fargo gap in the opening round.
Who's got a dollar on Parker? lol

Also, Wayne Parker's SA flag in the above link needs a look :ROFLMAO: South Africa... or Saudi Arabia hahah

Last edited:

tomatoshooter

I don’t even think it’s possible for for a Fargo 800 type to dump hard enough to let basically an APA-5 slip through the cracks. Like muscle memory wouldn’t allow the requisite number of misses.
Looks like Parker got 5 games! The other matches with large differences had the underdog getting shut out or winning 2 games. Losing 5-10 to an 800+ Fargo is a very respectable showing in my book.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have Wayne Parker (430) vs. Jung Lin Cheng (828) as our leader for largest Fargo gap in the opening round.
There's always somebody better...
Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 19-36-01 2023 Int'l Open 9-Ball Division.png

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like Parker got 5 games! The other matches with large differences had the underdog getting shut out or winning 2 games. Losing 5-10 to an 800+ Fargo is a very respectable showing in my book.

That is a different Wayne Parker. The one playing is an experienced blackball player from from South Africa who is not on our radar.

Here are the biggest opening-round gaps (for players with at least 100 games in FargoRate.). Opponents got 12 games out of 102, a little shy of the expected 15 games out of 102.

1698850815361.png