2023 World Pool Championship, Kielce, Poland

BlueRaider

Registered
I say this as a big Niels Feijen fan, but why? He won the event in 2014, whereas anyone else would be a first time winner. Wu Kun Lin and Soufi are dark horses in my mind and would bring a lot of excitement if they won. Chang/FSR too even though they're big names in the pool world at the moment, would be first time winners.

(Edit: sorry, Niels won in 2014, not 2013)
Niels is still a solid player but his window for winning these events is rapidly closing. I remember when he last won World Pool Masters in I believe 2018. It seemed normal because he was still elite. Now, it would be something of a surprise/upset just five years later.

weakfingers

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Niels is still a solid player but his window for winning these events is rapidly closing. I remember when he last won World Pool Masters in I believe 2018. It seemed normal because he was still elite. Now, it would be something of a surprise/upset just five years later.
Very true. I'm still rooting for him. This conversation could also be moot in assuming that he will reach the semis, because Mario He has leveled it at 9-9 and breaking.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay, are you watching from the Phillipines? How is the coverage over there? Are people going to bars/pool rooms to watch this? Or watching from home? Or not watching at all?
Yes I’m watching from my home here. You can watch it also in some of the local bars. We get SkySports using a device called a FireStick attached to your television. With it I can watch thousands of stations worldwide. I paid for the Stick and a monthly fee of 1000P. No cable necessary.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
You guys are nuts IMO asking for tighter pockets. No matter how "tight" the pocket, there will always be some shots on the edge of staying out or falling in. Whether the pocket is 10" or 3". The number of those shots has been quite small this event.

Furthermore, most of the shots that bobbled in seem to have been hit on the "pro" side of the pocket. They didn't rub the rail on the way in, like when most shots bobble. They hit the opposite tit of the pocket, and fell in. The players hit them well enough, hit them on the pro side, and were rewarded for them dropping.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it:)
Not

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I say this as a big Niels Feijen fan, but why? He won the event in 2014, whereas anyone else would be a first time winner. Wu Kun Lin and Soufi are dark horses in my mind and would bring a lot of excitement if they won. Chang/FSR too even though they're big names in the pool world at the moment, would be first time winners.

(Edit: sorry, Niels won in 2014, not 2013)

that's true. also mario would be first time WC, first time major tournament win

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone ever heard of Parris competing again? He won the U17 WPA 9 ball WC in 2018. I looked up his name at Fargo, he only has 300 games in the system. It seems like he appeared and then disappeared out of nowhere.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Love watching the last match of the night, Chang vs Ruiz. Two top ten players. A great finale for an amazing day of pool.

I also love Winner Breaks and watching players string racks. So many people complain and yet take a look at all the 11-10 matches and great comebacks. Players are forced to perform under pressure. You must string some racks of your own to keep up!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ruiz really gets after it! He’s my new pool hero now that Shane is out. The only consolation is that Shane played great in the match he lost. One of the best played matches this week for sure, by both players.

The level of play has been super high here, helped by some forgiving equipment.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Did you see how well Sky played at Tourning Stone? He was playing faster than I've seen him play in a long time. When SVB gets rolling he can play very fast. Orcullo does the same, as do many top professionals.
I don't recall SVB or Orcullo ever being speed demons. I either didn't see or don't recall Sky's recent play at Turning Stone so I can't say if your assessment of his speed is accurate or not, but even if he was playing fast so what, all you did was point out a case of where a guy played well while playing fast, something we both already agree can happen. My contention is that you don't, on average, play your best that way so it is rarely the best idea to play that way if playing your best is the main goal.
Heck, even Mr. Slow and Smooth Morra just played nearly flawless in his elimination match WHILE playing under a 30 second shot clock! I saw repeated shots where he didn't even bother to site the shotline from the pocket out through the object ball like he normally does on every shot. How was that possible? Albin is the same. He can be painfully deliberate at times but he pretty much ALWAYS plays great -- even with a shot clock. Hmmm.
I don't recall ever saying people can't play well with a shot clock.

That said, without question everybody will play better without one, but I don't think the differences would be massive except for the faster players who play substantially faster than the shot clock where they will see a more substantial jump in their game by slowing and being more careful and deliberate.
Now you're just changing what you said. You were much more empathic with your language. Let me remind you what you said: "...the totality of the evidence supporting that everybody (once you force yourself to get used to it and give it a fair chance) will play to their maximum potential when they play slow is overwhelming."
That is not at all different than or inconsistent with what I said after when I spelled it out a little more.

We could also be thinking of different things when we think of "slow". I'm not talking Kaci or Candela here yet it seems you may be thinking of extremes.
It's hard to argue with someone who actually believes this.
It's hard to argue with people who willfully ignore the evidence when it doesn't go along with how they would prefer things to be.
Do players need to be deliberate enough that they properly study the table -- Yes! Do players need to study every single shot possibility, every angle, every potential carom line, only to then get down on the ball and feather the cue ball 20 times? Most certainly not!
It depends on the shot. I don't think 20 warm up strokes (if that is what you mean by "feather the cue ball") are ever necessary though.
What I think happens is players create a self-fulfilling prophecy once they go down the slow play road, where every mistake they make they attribute to a skipped step in their ever growing pre-shot routine. It's really hard to tell yourself you missed because you simply stroked the ball poorly. It's much easier to believe you somehow didn't see the shot angle properly, even though you've shot the shot thousands of times.
What I think happens is that people that don't enjoy playing at a very deliberate careful pace which that invariably is on the slower end of the spectrum, or that don't enjoy when their opponent plays at that pace, or don't enjoy watching pool played at that pace, ignore the evidence clearly showing that it results in better play simply because they just don't want it to be true.

We also seem to be thinking of different things when we think about the benefits of more careful deliberate play. I think stringent pre-shot routines are overrated, and I don't think people fail to see the proper shot angle all that often. I agree that lots of misses are because you stroked the ball poorly, but among other things I think lots of those could have been prevented if you were taking your time to be a little more careful not to make that mistake.
I'm playing more free and enjoying the game more.
I've mentioned that in the past. You absolutely might be enjoying the game more when you play fast, but you aren't playing to your fullest potential. And that's fine if getting more playing enjoyment takes precedence over playing better and winning more.
One HUGE enormous problem with the whole conversation of fast vs slow play is that having actually good, textbook, shot mechanics doesn't necessarily have anything to do with pace of play.
You can't have your best mechanics or anything else when done fast. Doesn't mean people have to take two years on a shot either, but the fact is most people would benefit from taking more time, at least on a portion of their shots.
In the past, I think most fast players had poor technique. Not only would they fly around the table, but they would also fly around on the shot. Today's faster players actually have much better technique while down on the ball.
They do, but they don't do anything as well as they would if they were more careful and deliberate which invariably requires slowing down a bit.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great opening shot in rack eleven by Ruiz, a severe back cut into the side on the two ball, and nice position on the three after. He does not want to let Chang come back to the table!

Runs out to lead 8-3.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ruiz makes a four-ten combo for nine racks in a row and a 9-3 lead. Crazy good pool by Ruiz. Stricklandesque.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
When you learn to discuss topics on here while remaining respectful, you may find a member who welcomes and possibly even respects your opinion. From reading your recent posts, I feel that is unlikely to happen any time soon.
I don't recall not being respectful unless respect wasn't due so not sure why you would say that. I did recently call out a racist for being a racist, and I could see were that would offend other racists. Is that what got you offended as being "not respectful" because I can't think of anything else?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ruiz takes a long time looking at his opening shot on the two ball and plays bad shape on the three, partially hooked. He hangs the three and here comes a well rested Chang. How can he answer the onslaught he just watched?

Lynch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm on Matchroom live and can't find the Ruiz match there? Youtube I'm not seeing either? Matchroom.live has worked fine for me all day. Giving me the option of table 2 or 3, but both are blacked out....Is it a different table and or a different way to watch that I'm missing?