2023 World Pool Championship, Kielce, Poland

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's like he came out of nowhere!
He definitely doesn't have "standard" fundamentals. I don't see how he does it with his elbow so far to the side.View attachment 686544

the syrian sidewinder

ortmann plays like that too, it's weird as hell. but since their wrists are also cocked inwards it compensates somewhat for the side stroke. and he follows through well, stays down, so in that regard it's sound. most sidestrokers i've played tend to jump up a lot

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a couple of years ago, it looked like Filler was going to run away with being the best in the world.

Now I'd rank the top 4 as

FSR
Gorst
Shane
Filler

The shorter time we cover, the more statistical uncertainty, and it becomes harder to tell what's real and what's a swing.

With that said, over the past 12 months, and including players with at least 100 games/month (i.e., 1200 games total), specific performance ratings (not Fargo Ratings) are

1 Filler 844
2 Gorst 843
3. Ruiz 841
4. SVB 831
5 Chang 836
6. Ouschan 825
7. Shaw 824

Over last 6 months and including players with 600+ games,

1 Gorst 850
2. Ruiz 848
3. Shaw 842
4. SVB 841
5. Kaci 833
6. Yapp 830
7. Filler 828

Monti

in his post match interview, he dedicated the win to Darren as Darren continues his recovery from his heart attack.
Nice gesture well done FSR. Also the Syrian sidewinder seemed genuinely happy for him to win- he’s my new favourite player.
All in all a cracking tournament!

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He has an inverted sidewinder.
So what's the term for this?

1675700813509.png

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Nice gesture well done FSR. Also the Syrian sidewinder seemed genuinely happy for him to win- he’s my new favourite player.
All in all a cracking tournament!
Soufi is the only pro I see who not only does not look like a robot, but appears to genuinely be HAVING FUN playing pool.
He was pure entertainment and made the game look both easy and enjoyable.
I'm sure he won a lot of fans on the world stage.

ETA as others have pointed out, I totally forgot about Oi and Gomez -2 more characters who are fun to watch.

Last edited:

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Soufi is the only pro I see who not only does not look like a robot, but appears to genuinely be HAVING FUN playing pool.
I'm sure he won a lot of fans on the world stage. 🙋‍♂️
I like FSR's pace and pre shot routine - doesn't look to me like FSR was cut from the "slow down; slow back; pause; fire" mold.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'm sure he won a lot of fans on the world stage. 🙋‍♂️
To me, the pro player today that plays with the most emotion and joy is Roberto Gomez. If Soufi is another like Gomez, it's to pro pool's advantage.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The shorter time we cover, the more statistical uncertainty, and it becomes harder to tell what's real and what's a swing.

With that said, over the past 12 months, and including players with at least 100 games/month (i.e., 1200 games total), specific performance ratings (not Fargo Ratings) are

1 Filler 844
2 Gorst 843
3. Ruiz 841
4. SVB 831
5 Chang 836
6. Ouschan 825
7. Shaw 824

Over last 6 months and including players with 600+ games,

1 Gorst 850
2. Ruiz 848
3. Shaw 842
4. SVB 841
5. Kaci 833
6. Yapp 830
7. Filler 828
Have you ever looked for the opposite? For example, has one of the pros we all know played much worse than their rating for 600 games?

Mich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
“Lots of careless errors?” I guess you didn’t see Earl at his peak (which lasted 20+ years). I did! He wasn’t making too many mistakes when he was putting sixes and sevens on people. He looked like he could run racks forever! Once he got in line, he stayed in line,

Nobody today is doing what Earl did, match after match. And that’s a fact Jack!
Jay I did see him in his prime, and you're right when he was in the groove he was great. But when he wasn't - careless mistakes, whining, complaining, etc. Not my favorite player to watch.