2024 World Pool Championship

midnightmark

Registered
That's great news !! Thanks for the INFO Jay.
But I couldn't find any INFO for WOMEN'S tournament. Not sure if Women will be competing.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What has happened to Chris Reinhold? A few years ago when he was chosen for the MC, some were saying he was going to end up being a top american. But looks like Thorpe, Sossei, Wolford, Lombardo, Styer, Oscar, all competing for that 4-10 slot for the Americans.

Is he still progressing? Just haven't heard much from him lately.
No one progresses after 20 years old. Maybe like 3-4% after that. If a player is not nationally known by the time they are 16, they won't be a TOP player when they are in their 20's.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
yes. it skews the rankings tremendously. even runner up is a lock. better not be sick that week!
Matchroom have always preferred to award their champions of the world (snooker and darts) with an amount of ranking points (which as we know in MR's approach equals to dough paid) solid enough to remain as No.1 until the next Worlds, literally for a year.

I think this might not be so justified if we talk about qualifying for the Mosconi Cup. Imagine the winner does not perform at all during the season. This way one has to deal with a world champion who is not playing/feeling well.
And now we get two "automatic" qualifiers, provided they are eligible to play for Team Europe /Team USA.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No one progresses after 20 years old. Maybe like 3-4% after that. If a player is not nationally known by the time they are 16, they won't be a TOP player when they are in their 20's.
Well tell that to John Schmidt who started to play at the age of 18 🙂 and if you want less extreme example i started to play pool competitively at the age of 19 and so far I won 20 national champion titles,the last one at the age of 45 last autumn😉 so yeah,i beg to differ😁

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well tell that to John Schmidt who started to play at the age of 18 🙂 and if you want less extreme example i started to play pool competitively at the age of 19 and so far I won 20 national champion titles,the last one at the age of 45 last autumn😉 so yeah,i beg to differ😁

FSR improved a little bit after eye surgery in late 2021.. had a half decent year after that 😉

JJ started playing late too. and there's a bundle of counterexamples in snooker. but as a general rule iusedtoberich is probably right, especially these days

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started at 14 but since there were 0 good players in my town i did not get good at young age. Mostly got my skills after 35 i got back on playing after 7 years off. I consider im decent and can compete against anyone but i am not best at tourneys. I play way too seldom in tourneys.. (last year 4 tournments 2pool, one Kaisa and one 3-cushion ).

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FSR improved a little bit after eye surgery in late 2021.. had a half decent year after that 😉

JJ started playing late too. and there's a bundle of counterexamples in snooker. but as a general rule iusedtoberich is probably right, especially these days
I saw FSR ran 9-pack vs Dechaine on Darrens 8-ball tourney on 2017 in New York when i was there too.. So he was pretty good way before 2021 too.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If a player like Schmidt started at 18, then we can add 5 years and that will be about his max. And it about was.

In any endeavor there is a steep ramp up at the start. Then the improvement slows considerably. Then it plateaus or improves so slowly it’s almost a plateau. Then when older, it begins to decline slowly, then more rapidly. Then you die.

No one can argue any of that. Whether it’s playing pool or tying your shoe. Just watch a baby and then watch an old person.

Players don’t jump classes. I’ll never be a 650 player. Chris will never be a 850 player.

Last edited:

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You may be right about the players at the world-class level but there's hope for those below if they maintain their health and their passion. I think Michigan's Jeremy Seaman is still improving. Maybe that's more of a seasoning thing vs a true aptitude increase, but it's hard to sort out that difference at the lower levels. I'm sure Mike Page has plenty of examples of players getting better.

Scrunge19

Registered
Jennifer Barretta turned into a pretty good player and she started playing pool later than most. She’s not elite like some of the top of the women players but I’d take her game for sure.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i was more referring to players progressing after 20. many players have, tyler styer is another example
In that case, I wonder how SVB's progress was the last 20 years. He seems to have no recorded wins until 2005 but then he won the US Open in 2007. I think he started playing real young.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In that case, I wonder how SVB's progress was the last 20 years. He seems to have no recorded wins until 2005 but then he won the US Open in 2007. I think he started playing real young.

even the last ten years his defensive game has evolved to an incredible level. albin said beating shane in tournaments used to fairly easy, but it's nothing like that now

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think (but not certain) Shane stayed within the league system until about 2005 or so. Then he ventured into pro pool, and of course had his breakout year in 2007, starting with bbq'ing Corey in TAR 1.

My statement was not complete, as there are exceptions. Such as a player who starts late teens (Schmidt), Dr Dave very late (40's), or a player that starts young, then stops, then resumes 20 years later.

What I meant, and I think most people got it, is when a pool player "finally" gets the pool "bug", they will generally devote about 5 years of their lives to playing every day, almost non-stop the entire day. Due to life circumstances, this usually happens in the teen years before the person has a dayjob and rent/mortgage to pay, and a spouse/kids. There will be tremendous improvement in the beginning of those 5 years. Then much less. Then at the end of the 5 years, probably no improvement. At the end of those 5 years, we will know if that player is Shane speed, or Reinhold speed, or C speed. Actually, we will probably know that within 6 months of this person "getting the pool bug".

If someone picks up a pool cue at age 35 for the first time, and gets the bug, and has no wife/job/kid/mortgage, and can play all day every day for 5 years, the same thing will happen with that person.

The first of those cases assumes adolescence into adulthood. The second starts well into adulthood.

Another case is Shane, who started at age 4, Filler, age 7 (I think), etc. Those that start as kids will have more years of improvement until about the end of adolescence, early adulthood, because their brain and body is still maturing. It's just how the brain and the body work.

jax_joe

even the last ten years his defensive game has evolved to an incredible level. albin said beating shane in tournaments used to fairly easy, but it's nothing like that now
yet the eurohole fanboys on here think he can't match up defensively. LMFAO

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
Good point, he started at 4 but it would be hard to deny how in the last 20 years he went from being mostly known as an amazing 9 ball player, into being a far more polished player at all disciplines. It’s true of a lot of players as they became more seasoned.