2million for Qmasters....

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Maybe they want to live their own lives.

It says pretty clearly on the press release that it comes with a lease (therefore, he does not own the property):

"...a terrific landlord, a very fair monthly rent of under $15,000.00 which includes all common area maintenance…"

I'm curious why his kids seem to want nothing to do with this business. They've always been front and center at the US Open. If it is so profitable and valuable, wouldn't they want a piece of it?

beetle

Do I bug you?
Silver Member
Maybe they want to live their own lives.

Since they were always a part of the US Open it seemed to me (and all the spectators) like that was going to be their future. Barry constantly talked about passing the torch to them.

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
so the daughter's a RE broker - does she have the Listing?
1.5%-3.0% is pretty good commission on $2M.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
The open and the pool room are not the same thing.

Since they were always a part of the US Open it seemed to me (and all the spectators) like that was going to be their future. Barry constantly talked about passing the torch to them.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Barry retiring in the PI. Jay retiring in the PI. Maybe we'll see Barry's & Jay's billiard room in Manila soon. :eek:. Johnnyt

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I'm curious why his kids seem to want nothing to do with this business.

If it is so profitable and valuable, wouldn't they want a piece of it?

My understanding was they declined because of the $2,000,000.*

Blood may be thicker than water, but money is the thickest of them all!

* And remember, that's 100% non-negotiable.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
But, on a serious note, I think he could get a million for the place if his receipts were anywhere near where they should be.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
$15,000 a month would make me take my first steps away from the deal. Johnnyt

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

The rent is cheap. The building is 25,000 sf - that's only 60 cents a square foot. The averages there for retail are considerably higher.

I would consider something like this. Build out the space and sublet out a portion of it for a restaurant or other compatible business. Say 4,000 SF for a restaurant at a lease rate of 6K per month. Let the restaurant cater food to the customers for a percentage of sales, while I took in table time and alcohol. My guess is the combination of rents and food sales would then cover at least half the total lease cost, while only giving up a small amount of space and considerably cutting overhead by eliminating the kitchen.

Of course this is all speculative thinking - I have no clue what the place is like.

Last edited:

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Another thing - what value does the 'US Open' really have?

If I decide tomorrow to do a pool tournament, add $75,000 and call it the Wonderful Watchez Open is no one going to show up because it doesn't have the name US Open tied to it? The players will follow the money unless they are being sidetracked by some carnival act like Bonus Ball.

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But, on a serious note, I think he could get a million for the place if his receipts were anywhere near where they should be.

Sorry Tate. Don't agree with you on this one. Assets + something for goodwill (not a lot). Other than the assets you are buy nothing. For $200k I could open the greatest room right down the street. For $1m I could open a room AND own the real estate. $2mil represents delusion. Isn't this the same guy that had to pay US Open winners over time? With his profitable pool room couldn't he just take it out of petty cash?

Bob

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Brady quit doing the Open 6-8 years ago, and Shannon quit before the last one -no?

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Sorry Tate. Don't agree with you on this one. Assets + something for goodwill (not a lot). Other than the assets you are buy nothing. For $200k I could open the greatest room right down the street. For $1m I could open a room AND own the real estate. $2mil represents delusion. Isn't this the same guy that had to pay US Open winners over time? With his profitable pool room couldn't he just take it out of petty cash?

Bob

The reason why goodwill is worth something has to do with start-up costs. I've been involved with a number of buy outs (never started a business from scratch). In 1978 I managed a company and negotiated the buy out where the owner's bought it for about $300,000 goodwill with only maybe total of 25K in hard assets. Right away we had annual income of 200K to 300K a year to work with.

We put 20K down, leveraged the loan against real estate so the seller was secure, then paid for the company from profits in three years. The company was later sold for about 500K.

Let's say we started that business from scratch. In a retail start up, you will generally lose money for the first year or two, then either succeed or quit. Our bare bones overhead would have been $15K - $20K per month at that time. If we lost 10K per month for 24 months until we broke even, the cost would be hard asset purchases (25K) plus losses (240K) = outlay of 265K just to make break even to stem losses. In the other scenario our outlay was only 20K and we paid for the business in 3 years.

Buying businesses is very risky business. It simply depends on the deal, quality of the business, and what you can do to make it profitable. I have had many white-knuckle moments in my career. My current business was a buy out in 1985 and still going strong.

Generally, retail companies that are a good deal have a loyal following, have potential to grow, but are not well managed and not particularly profitable as a result.

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yeah i dont think that is bad at all JT. I know a guy paid 14k/month for 12.5 sq ft-33 tables 17 years ago . He made money for 4-5 years until he messed it up himself
True it was in central Westchester but Hampton Roads is not all that different and it's 17 years later-Good rent i think.