9' Pool Table

What 9' Pool Table would you get if you were buying a new one?

• Diamond 9' Pro AM

Votes: 21 30.4%
  • Diamond 9' Professional

Votes: 28 40.6%
  • Brunswick 9' Gold Crown V

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • A different 9' all together (please specify which brand and model in chat)

Votes: 7 10.1%

• Total voters

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, here is a poll for everyone. I haven't posted in here in quite a while, but I am about to get my Master's degree in May and I want to start looking for my new table now. I am in the process of selling my old table now 8' and I want to put a 9' in the Den I am working on.

What would you choose? Diamond Pro Am? Diamond Pro? Gold Crown V? or something else? :cool:

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Other?

Someone posted other and didn't elaborate! What brand and model would you get Mr. or Mrs. Other? LOL

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pro Am's?

I see a lot of Pro Am's can someone tell me why they would choose the pro am model over the professional?

Thanks

krelldog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently bought the Diamond Pro-Am. Although I do love the table I probably prefer the Diamond Professional. Especially for a home table...I would spend the extra money and get the Pro model. A large part of that is because of the drop pockets as opposed to a ball return. Drop pockets are much quieter...more conducive for 1 pocket..and all in all a more elegant looking table. With that said I have no buyers remorse regarding my Pro-Am-its an excellent table. I'm sure the Gold Crown is a great table....but I don't know how you can justify 3-4k more.

Last edited:

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
I recently bought the Diamond Pro-Am. Although I do love the table I probably prefer the Diamond Professional. Especially for a home table...I would spend the extra money and get the Pro model. I'm sure the Gold Crown is a great table....but I don't know how you can justify 3-4k more.

I agree, the extra thousands are hard to justify when both Brunswick and Diamond offer a great table.

ASSUMING you only want a new table, I think a real good investment is getting a Diamond at the conclusion of a tournament. IIRC, it's @ $4600 (or $5200 with Diamond light and balls). That's tough to beat! (You'd be responsible to pay shipping and set-up).

If you're cool with a quality used Diamond or GC table, you could probably cut your expense in half via Craigslist, etc. We've seen AZBers get used GC's for $800-$2000 on a # of ocassions.

Good luck on getting your new baby!

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I have a GCI, I absolutely love it, you probably could not pry it from my cold dead hands. But if I were going to buy a new table today I would probably get a Diamond, not so much because of the way they play but because I am starting to like the way they look. I know it is preposterous, but the only way I would even consider trading my GC for a Diamond is if it would cost less than $1,000.00, and that is not because I do not like the Diamonds but because I love my GC. I think if you end up with either a Diamond or a GC you will be in heaven. I have played on some 9ft. Olhausens and thought they were terrible, I suppose a lot of that could be set up too though. Enjoy, your gonna be a happy camper when you get one at home:smile:

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently bought the Diamond Pro-Am. Although I do love the table I probably prefer the Diamond Professional. Especially for a home table...I would spend the extra money and get the Pro model. A large part of that is because of the drop pockets as opposed to a ball return. Drop pockets are much quieter...more conducive for 1 pocket..and all in all a more elegant looking table. With that said I have no buyers remorse regarding my Pro-Am-its an excellent table. I'm sure the Gold Crown is a great table....but I don't know how you can justify 3-4k more.

You are kind of echoing the same thing I just told my wife! I can't justify the added expense for the gold crown, and if I buy a Diamond Pro-Am then when we decide to move it will be a bear to move!

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree, the extra thousands are hard to justify when both Brunswick and Diamond offer a great table.

ASSUMING you only want a new table, I think a real good investment is getting a Diamond at the conclusion of a tournament. IIRC, it's @ $4600 (or $5200 with Diamond light and balls). That's tough to beat! (You'd be responsible to pay shipping and set-up).

If you're cool with a quality used Diamond or GC table, you could probably cut your expense in half via Craigslist, etc. We've seen AZBers get used GC's for $800-$2000 on a # of ocassions.

Good luck on getting your new baby!

I didn't know I could get a tournament used table like that, I will have to check into that.

I am thinking tournament or new would be the way I want to go. Not sure I want to buy a used one. But you never know at 800-2000 and then talk to RKC and see what he would do to it, that might determine which way I go.

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a GCI, I absolutely love it, you probably could not pry it from my cold dead hands. But if I were going to buy a new table today I would probably get a Diamond, not so much because of the way they play but because I am starting to like the way they look. I know it is preposterous, but the only way I would even consider trading my GC for a Diamond is if it would cost less than $1,000.00, and that is not because I do not like the Diamonds but because I love my GC. I think if you end up with either a Diamond or a GC you will be in heaven. I have played on some 9ft. Olhausens and thought they were terrible, I suppose a lot of that could be set up too though. Enjoy, your gonna be a happy camper when you get one at home:smile:

My mom's neighbor has a GC I or II and it was a great table. If she ever let that one go I would probably try to buy it, but I doubt any of her Grandkids would let it go. I don't like Olhausens either, but maybe your right it was just the way it was set up.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
OK, here is a poll for everyone. I haven't posted in here in quite a while, but I am about to get my Master's degree in May and I want to start looking for my new table now. I am in the process of selling my old table now 8' and I want to put a 9' in the Den I am working on.

What would you choose? Diamond Pro Am? Diamond Pro? Gold Crown V? or something else? :cool:

I purchased a Fancy Brunswick. It fit the decor of my Billiard Room better than the other choices by Diamond and Brunswick. It also was approved by my wife and as such, is centerally located on the main floor with a window/open bar into the Kitchen.

Smooth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
diamond pros have can have a ball return

edit: my home table does anyway.... looking at the Diamond website though, it says they don't offer it anymore..... I don't know the history on mine (red label) but it is definitely an original Diamond system. We also have 14 pros in the pool room and they are all drop pocket. Love them Diamonds.

Last edited:

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brunswick cost far too much in comparison to Diamond.

Diamond is made in the USA.

Brunswick is made somewhere else (China, I think).

You can customize that Diamond as far as pocket size, leg types and much more than that poor web site shows. So, I would call Diamond.

I do like playing on Brunswicks, but my practice table needs to be tight and fast. That way every other table feels easy. You would have to have that GCV modified by a mechanic if you wanted tight pockets. More added cost.

Olhausen is American by birth and Southern by the grace of God. But, they play slow off the rail and the pocket angles....:confused:

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see Diamond is ahead 21 to 6. I wonder if the GC fans are geezer's like me. Growing up with GC's I had to have one. A mint IV with new 860 and big pockets for senior eyes. Oh yeah.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regarding Diamond Pro/AM vs Diamond Professional, they are the same price within a couple hundred dollars (new prices).

I'd go with the Professional model over the Pro/Am in a heartbeat. I think it looks 10 times better, but that is just my subjective opinion. Note, many Professional model pictures floating around are of the older look. Make sure you are looking at new pictures. (some on Diamond's site last I checked were even the older pictures).

If going used, I'd get a GC4 (I did...).

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I appreciate the suggestions and even the craigslist ads. Thanks everyone, i am not really sure yet which way I am going to go. I am kind of itching to pull the trigger on brand new, and spurge for the matching light and chairs. LOL

My wife will have a huge say in the way we go as she will want it to look nice, but I am definitely going with Diamond or GC

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like for brand new pool table the Professional beat out the ProAm just slightly. MMMMMMM decisions decisions

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
I was faced with the same decision and I chose the Pro Am with Dymonwood rails. They are impervious. You can take a pool ball and throw it down on top of the rail as hard as you want and it will rebound to the ceiling and you will never be able to tell where on the rail the ball hit.

That, and the standard Diamond pro cut (4.5" corners) pockets make you work for everything, thereby improving your game along the way.

Oh, if you go Diamond Pro Am route, fwiw, I took off all of the decals on the table. That leaves just the "Diamond" logo that is routed into the two short rail skirts of the table... much cleaner look than with all the advertising decals on it... everywhere!!