A different perspective on the Mosconi Cup

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
In the NFL they still do end zone celebrations and they also do a dance for a sack as long as it's not excessive.

All I'm saying is they knew exactly what they were getting with Earl and Earl didn't disappoint. That attitude draws ratings. Which is why I pointed at reality tv. And clearly somebody is already watching around the world or the production wouldn't have taken place.

They no longer allow pre planned celebrations with multiple people. Why is that? That shit is fly. And who doesnt love the grave digger dance after a sack?

The only way crazy works in sports is if its used as spice not the main course.

I dont mind how Earl acted really. He did what he was supposed to do. Everyone who knows how things work knows he was there to do what he does. The others were there to balance him out and by doing the same BS Earl does they failed in that job. One crazy eccentric on the squad is cute. A bunch of dudes dropping F bombs and whining about rolls just makes people turn off.

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well said NYC.

Sometimes you need to act a certain way first, and the tour and opportunities will come, not the other way around. I love many of the American players, SVB is great and like to watch many of the older school guys that are still out there plugging away. It's just a different culture than European or Asian pool. Seems more about gambling and woofing it up rather than treating it like a true sport in a classy manner.

If they ever want to legitimize the sport and increase purses to where they can make an actual living, they will need an organized tour with a promoter who is not self-serving, decent sponsors, better attitudes, and a decent feeder system with young players interested in pursuing the game for the sport of it and not chasing a few quick bucks in back rooms. There's nothing wrong with gambling, golfers do it as do many of the Euro players etc. It's all in how it's done.

It's tough under pressure, everyone lets out a little frustration here and there. But I agree that the constant swearing and even sharking does nothing for the sport, it just further enhances the American bad boy image. They should take a page from 3 cushion and dress well and act with composure and grace and show appreciation for the game and even their opponent's success and shotmaking. I'm not confident that I will see any improvements though any time soon, unfortunately...

Scott

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member
Might not be just Earl.

I did not watch the MC so I don't know which US players other than Earl were disrespectful. That aside, the results of the event should indicate that an overhaul of the entire team is order.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I dont mind how Earl acted really. He did what he was supposed to do. Everyone who knows how things work knows he was there to do what he does. The others were there to balance him out and by doing the same BS Earl does they failed in that job. One crazy eccentric on the squad is cute. A bunch of dudes dropping F bombs and whining about rolls just makes people turn off.

And I totally agree. But we both knew it was gonna happen. If Jason Hunt isn't on next years team, then matchroom needs to just quit.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Might not be just Earl.

I think the whole team should be blown up. Even Shane should have to fight for a spot.

I was talking to Griffin about this and he mentioned the talent pool is thin in the US how could you do a team without anyone on this years and my response was "How much worse could you do?"

Pretty evident to me Johnny is not a leader in this setting. All the Euros praise their coach endlessly as a big factor in their winning. Some people would call this an indicator.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I bet this is the last time Earl gets invited to the Mosconi.

He'll miss that easy payday.

Seems like I'm the contrarian in this thread. :cool:

Earl did exactly what Barry Hearn wanted him to do: play the villain for the European audience. They love/hate Earl...that's why they watch...and that's why he'll be invited back.

Gerry Williams

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you need to take the top ranked players - Dennis never played any ranking events - how does he deserve to be there over say Dechaine, Oscar and others.

I am sure SVB belongs but he was pretty lonely out there and if not for bad luck he would have won all 3 of his matches. I don't count the team match.

I think the whole team should be blown up. Even Shane should have to fight for a spot.

I was talking to Griffin about this and he mentioned the talent pool is thin in the US how could you do a team without anyone on this years and my response was "How much worse could you do?"

Pretty evident to me Johnny is not a leader in this setting. All the Euros praise their coach endlessly as a big factor in their winning. Some people would call this an indicator.

We may not be seeing any Americans in the future.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tiger woods played one time with Phil Mickelson, and it never worked out. They never played together again. Tiger found Steve Stricker, and they went undefeated for years.

For Team USA, it's about finding that right balance and mix of players with their backgrounds and strengths that they bring to the table.

For too many years, promoters have been taking advice from one unnamed American pro, and it's time that somebody else steps up to the plate to represent them, so that it's not the same old, same old. :cool:

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member
Tiger woods played one time with Phil Mickelson, and it never worked out. They never played together again. Tiger found Steve Stricker, and they went undefeated for years.

For Team USA, it's about finding that right balance and mix of players with their backgrounds and strengths that they bring to the table.

For too many years, promoters have been taking advice from one unnamed American pro, and it's time that somebody else steps up to the plate to represent them, so that it's not the same old, same old. :cool:

I agree............there seems to be a common denominator with the failing of recent pool happenings.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
We may not be seeing any Americans in the future.

Maybe we can clone Thorsten a bunch and just have two teams of all Thorstens. Oh man... did you just get excited or what?!?!

AI6fj7h.jpg

^it's poorly done, but funny none the less.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Those that are busy defending this bad behavior is equally as troubling. Boy, are they going to be surprised going forward when team America no longer has a spot in the Mosconi Cup. Sure, it'll be framed around the concept of being inclusive to other countries, but the truth is that this year Hearn was actually embarrassed by what took place.

The fiasco feels like a Final melt down tipping point for the Americans, sad for JA and SVB. After Badi Nazhat and this MCup, the leopards have only been pushed further into their cave. I was totally embarrassed and sickened by the permeating actions of a three Americans. I actually felt sorry for Janette Lee/Breedlove as I saw her on the sidelines, she exudes class, like Fats and JA have always done while in the public eye. I think Barry knew what would happen, and this will allow him an easy way out. It'll give him time to find cats of a different color for 2014. We all lost from this showing. For any player to put themselves ''above'' the game that's been on the books since the 1400's is amazing. Fats learned long ago, do the opposite of imbeciles if you want to get ahead in life. It's getting allot easier to understand why I don't want to be around.

NYC good write and OP read....this will effect us all that care about this ''great game''. Gamblers and real Players, are as different as night and day.

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would fit in well after I learned the customs.

Just have to be a blowhard who pays no attention to facts or has any idea what he's talking about. Basically just be exactly like you.

What's to learn? ;)