A plea to CSI regarding SVB vs Ko

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is funny to me is an inane comparison between the length of a football game and a billiard exhibition. If you couldn't find excitement in that 50-21 match maybe its time for a new line of work. You sound like some kind of fascist dictator, "We will do whats best for pool! What a load, get over yourself.

LOL following his logic,21-3 will be less exciting than 21-20 so why not make it race to 2 ?
Now there is new sheriff in town who knows what's best for pool so we all must not talk unnecessarily.
They are not selling this like it is once in a blue moon match which people will buy even if it is long match. They are promoting it like it is just any tournament match where it has to be short and TV friendly

They have to extend it to race to 50 or face boycott from buyers
:D

bigchiefnd

red and black u like that
Silver Member
I'm willing to watch golf for four days to determine a winner, but pool needs to be more like football apparently to progress, SMH.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Easy folks...I wasn't trying to stir up any emotions. Just wanted to point our what we believe is better for this event and the sport. I do think the logic is flawed with the super long races. Where does it end? A race to 21 could easily be 3 hours and most people won't watch it all anyway...it's a proven fact.

I apologize if my comments were communicated poorly. Thank you.

What does Justin think and why did TAR do the extended races for so long?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
There is no race length that will be enough to determine who the better player is, but, at least for my money, Shane, Darren, and Dennis have separated themselves from the pack and no matter the result, I'll still view those three as the best. Between them, they win most of the titles in rotation pool events.

If Ko Pin Yi, however, wins the 10-ball event at the Rio in what is sizing up as one of the toughest fields in the history of our sport, he'll have knocked off a multitude of champions, and nothing less than that will get me to count Ko with the other three.

For an exhibition, race to 21 is enough, arguably more than enough.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
A Race to 21 is a great match imo. Especially playing Ten Ball. I also like two out of three sets, each a Race to 11. I think there are time considerations here, with several other events going on at the same time. A Race to 50 must be played over two days, not so going to 21. I'm with Ozzy on this one. Thanks for putting together a dream match with two of the best on the planet. We are probably looking at 3-4 hours of great pool! :thumbup2:

P.S. Got confirmation that Dennis is coming. He will be playing a challenge match also. Maybe with Chang the other great player from Taiwan.

CSI - Ozzy

Banned
Apologize

Again, I apologize that I communicated my opinion poorly. After going back and reading my previous posts, they could have been communicated much better. No excuses here and I'm sorry if it came across wrong or offended anyone. That was certainly not my intention.

Like all of you, I have deep opinions of what makes pool exciting and fun and I am very passionate about it. I do appreciate and understand everyone that prefers a longer race. In this case, it just isn't possible for a host of reasons. However, the fact remains that we will have two of the best players on the planet going head-to-head. I expect that it will be epic.

Not sure what else I can say except that I apologize. Thank you.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A Race to 21 is a great match imo. Especially playing Ten Ball. I also like two out of three sets, each a Race to 11. I think there are time considerations here, with several other events going on at the same time. A Race to 50 must be played over two days, not so going to 21. I'm with Ozzy on this one. Thanks for putting together a dream match with two of the best on the planet. We are probably looking at 3-4 hours of great pool! :thumbup2:

P.S. Got confirmation that Dennis is coming. He will be playing a challenge match also. Maybe with Chang the other great player from Taiwan.

I dont care if Ozzy is 100% right on the race length-It's his reply that tells me all i need to know.

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member

The race to 50 yesterday lasted about 5 hours and it would have been that way with any other players the way Shane played. Plenty enough time for a 1-day match.

The bottom line is that in a long race nobody can hang with Shane in 10-ball. Period. There's nothing that anyone can say to make the majority of us feel any different until someone steps up and plays Shane in a long race of 10-ball and beats him.

As to the CSI Ozzy response, lol.

Great customer relations post about knowing what pool needs and what people want to see when you are on the largest pool site in the universe. You basically just told your entire target audience that we/CSI really don't give a shit what you think. Nice

You could/should learn a thing or twelve from Justin when dealing with the public relations aspect. His points and opinions are pointed, precise, and stern but he knows how to say them in a manner that is respected and professional.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could/should learn a thing or twelve from Justin when dealing with the public relations aspect. His points and opinions are pointed, precise, and stern but he knows how to say them in a manner that is respected and professional.

and sometimes funny as HELL !!!!!!:D

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread is funny to me. Perhaps football games should be 12 quarters so we can really see who is the best team. I've seen teams win and lose because there wasn't enough time for one team to catch up so let's extend it.

You see, this is one reason pool hasn't progressed. No one wants intensity, parody, and excitement. Ask yourself, would rather see one match with a 50-21 final score or a match with a 21-20 score with a rematch pending?

The match is set and we will do whats best for pool. Thanks for talking!

" We will do what's best for pool..."

Of coarse when stating that, you're assuming you know.

If I recall correctly it was also above our pay scale to know what they were going to play for also.
That alone cut into my interest, and this finished it off.

I hope you enjoy your exhibition, don't however, save me a seat.

Last edited:

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The race to 50 yesterday lasted about 5 hours and it would have been that way with any other players the way Shane played. Plenty enough time for a 1-day match.

The bottom line is that in a long race nobody can hang with Shane in 10-ball. Period. There's nothing that anyone can say to make the majority of us feel any different until someone steps up and plays Shane in a long race of 10-ball and beats him.

Great customer relations post about knowing what pool needs and what people want to see when you are on the largest pool site in the universe. You basically just told your entire target audience that we/CSI really don't give a shit what you think. Nice

Just because an opinion is popular with the fans, doesn't make it the right decision. Fans (short for fanatics) think with the hearts and don't always know what's best in the long term.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think we should all chill out and cut Ozzy a break.

Being the spokesperson for an organization is not so easy, particularly when you're trying to get a little OJT and one of your prime audiences is this pack of jackals.

Having met the man at the MC, I think he's a pretty sharp cookie and will get the hang of it and learn not to feed the piraña here with his bare hands. Give him a chance.

Lou Figueroa

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The oz has done plenty to show his passion for pool, so he fouled one off?

We will live with our disappointment about wht the ko/svb throw down colda/ woulda been.

I hope they plan a longer set later in the week. I will even let them play in my basement, and most of you pool bums wouldn't be graced thusly.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think we should all chill out and cut Ozzy a break.

Being the spokesperson for an organization is not so easy, particularly when you're trying to get a little OJT and one of your prime audiences is this pack of jackals.

Having met the man at the MC, I think he's a pretty sharp cookie and will get the hang of it and learn not to feed the piraña here with his bare hands. Give him a chance.

Lou Figueroa

He's the Spokesman!!?????? OMG I thought he was a loose cannon employee.

Mark- Cut your losses

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

....snip...

What about Shane vs Corey on Tar 1? That's when Corey was Corey and I believe it took something like 10 hours each of the two days to get to 100.

Shane vs Nick was exceptionally fast. That was not a typical race to 50 length at all, IMO.

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
What about Shane vs Corey on Tar 1? That's when Corey was Corey and I believe it took something like 10 hours each of the two days to get to 100.

Shane vs Nick was exceptionally fast. That was not a typical race to 50 length at all, IMO.

no, it wasn't a typical race to 50, you're right.