A plea to CSI regarding SVB vs Ko

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I noticed you have 19 posts, I was looking at this one,

04-23-2012, 07:11 AM
Replies: 45
The Action Pool Tour (APT): May 5-6, VIP Billiards, Catonsville, MD!
Views: 3,098
Posted By shoreboy "Bump for a fantastic tour!"

Just wondering do you by chance know Ozzy, didn't he start The Action Pool Tour in 2011 and run it for a while.

You guys are really becoming good detectives. I have to say, I can relax with you around.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Yes. I know him and it is ashame that someone who cares about pool gets blasted by people who don't do nothing. Whatever. I'm going to take my friends advice and stay off here.

We do nothing but buy the PPV's. JT

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Yes. I know him and it is ashame that someone who cares about pool gets blasted by people who don't do nothing. Whatever. I'm going to take my friends advice and stay off here.

Probably will help him out. It's better to come on and say "Look, I'm a friend of Ozzy, he's a great guy and does care what customers think. I'm sure the input from AZ will not go unnoticed in the next set of matches".

That would help him, but bickering and defending some statements he regretted saying is not the way to help your friend.

Believe me, we all understand defending a buddy. But if I say something regretful (which is a daily occurance) I pretty much expect my friends to disappear!

Or, Just have Justin handle the PR. Everybody's afraid to piss him off.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am as big a fan of Shane as anyone. He comes to Fargo, plays his good friend Rory, we go to supper or breakfast. I think he is one of the best. Now everyone is sitting here thinking he is going to run right over KO. The question is how many time have you even watched KO play? Probably not much.

Shane is playing like a beast right now, but I remember sitting with him at 4 Bear in New Town last year and we were watching Lu Hui Chan, and Shane said he couldn't beat him at 9 ball. Not hearsay, I was standing right there. In fact the Chan beat him for 2nd and third in that 8 ball tourney, Shane didn't say much about it at supper as we talked about a money match he had set up during the US Open One Pocket. Is KO better than Chan? Yes I know this is 10 ball and not 9 ball.

Will he win, I think he can, especially if he plays like he did against Nick the Greek. Can KO win, of course, but for all the matches I have watched on streams the last few years, I can't say I have seen him all that much, but when I have he is good.

To me, the youtube video of him doing a silly dance routine with Wu and the foppish hairstyles leave an impression of softness and immaturity.

The dance video is seven years old, though. I'm sure he's matured since then, but Shane's harder than a coffin nail... I still think he's too strong for Ko in a long race.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed you have 19 posts, I was looking at this one,

04-23-2012, 07:11 AM
Replies: 45
The Action Pool Tour (APT): May 5-6, VIP Billiards, Catonsville, MD!
Views: 3,098
Posted By shoreboy "Bump for a fantastic tour!"

Just wondering do you by chance know Ozzy, didn't he start The Action Pool Tour in 2011 and run it for a while.

LOL, good work. Let's give him benefit of doubt and hope he is not making same boo boo like Scoot Adams (Dilbert creator) :)

Shane owns all except some guy named Francisco Bustamante!!!
Not sure about now but Shane still might not like it!
Would be the only guy I might put my cash on against Shane since
Last 2 times I bet on him he beat Shane.

Note, I'm sure they have played more than I've watched and Shane May have won but Busty has owned him every time I was there to watch in person.

Long story short I think Busty gives him the best game of any.

Busty is fearless, he will take on anyone, even challengers and young upstarts
There was this Filipino upstart Cocoy Villafuerte who upset Efren and Alex. Busty went to Cocoy's hometown and thrashed him :) Cocoy is making a name for himself scalping big names. Recently he scalped ex 10b World Champ Huiji See giving weight
:)

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
What is silly is if you actually think there are 100,000 people out there that would even think of "buying" a PPV of pool of ANY length of race between ANY two players.
There are probably 100,000 fans, all of whom are potential customers. Obviously you aren't going to get most of them to buy anything. But right now you are only getting 200 of them, and that is on a good day. How much worse could you do?

Of the people who "actually may" purchase a PPV, and who have "proven" that fact by buying PPV's of this sport in the past, the majority of "those" people want a longer race.
Yep, some of the 200 want long races. We don't even know how many, because some of those 200 probably don't care and would buy the matches regardless of the race length, and some probably actually prefer shorter races. So some number less than 200 paying customers feel strongly about having long races. Now how many of the rest of the 100,000 people would pay for shorter races, or a best of several shorter races match? Neither of us know, but good chance it would be at least as much if not more than the "some number less than 200" that only want long races.

New Coke did not lose the Coca Cola company a bunch of customers who already drank Pepsi, they lost their customers who drank Coke Classic and who had proven they liked the original coke for decades prior to the change that blew up in the Coca Cola companies face.
Dumbest comparison ever. Coke had billions of customers, with a b. That were massively profitable, making billions of dollars per year, again, billions with a b. It probably isn't smart to deviate from your winning formula when you have billions of customers and make billions of dollars. Pool streaming has a losing formula. Long races are getting 200 customers, on a good day, and breaking even. When all you can get is 200 customers and break even you don't think it is time to try something new?

CSI is not going to get a bunch of customers who do not enjoy watching pool to suddenly "pay" to watch a short set.
Of course people that don't want to watch pool at all aren't going to pay. But maybe many of the ones that don't buy long races because it costs too much in their opinion or for their budget (shorter races will presumably be cheaper), or because they don't want to pay for something they would only watch part of, or pay for something that will likely have a lopsided score and be a snooze fest after about 2 hours into the match, may buy shorter races. Or maybe they won't. Neither of us will know until they try it.

They "may" lose many customers who "do" enjoy watching pool matches and have already in the past proven that by purchasing PPV's in the past.
You mean the all 200 of you (at most)? Boy, that is a gamble they shouldn't take. Too much at risk there.

You do not progress a sport and gain more viewers by alienating the fans and customer base you already have. That should be self evident but so many people in the pool industry seem to be oblivious to that fact.
They only have 200 paying fans to alienate. But they have much to gain as there is potential upside by making changes, and frankly it would be near impossible to do worse than the 200 they can currently get on a bad day, don't you agree?
My answers in bold above. The bottom line is they only get 200 fans paying to watch right now, and they break even. Time to try something new. And the 200 are going to pay and watch anyway, all the huffing and puffing is just for show to try to get your preferences.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe time for long format as a business model has not come yet. It will come.
Look at cousin cue sport,snooker-they play for days and days and it is viable even thrre are many times more fans and players in pool than in snooker. Also cricket which goes on for day/ days and fans hundreds of dollars PPV outside India. But then again cricket is a religion in Indian continent :)

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Maybe time for long format as a business model has not come yet. It will come.
Look at cousin cue sport,snooker-they play for days and days and it is viable even thrre are many times more fans and players in pool than in snooker. Also cricket which goes on for day/ days and fans hundreds of dollars PPV outside India. But then again cricket is a religion in Indian continent :)

A single gambling match between two people goes on for days and days? Or a tournament with numerous people? Lets make sure we don't compare apples and oranges here.

And how long do you propose they keep at the losing long race formula before trying something new? They have been doing it for quite a few years now with no improvement in the number of viewers and not making any money. Just how many more years should they keep doing it like that without making money or gaining customers? Would you keep doing the same thing for years and years if you saw no improvement in your business and were not making any money or would you change something up before decades passed?

And for the record, I like a multiple day pool match. I personally think you will get more viewers and make more money if you allow people to pay by the day and not just the whole event for those people that can't watch the whole thing and won't pay full price for partial benefit (which is not a new concept and some are already doing), and most importantly you make it a best of x number of shorter sets instead of one long race so that it has excitement the whole way through. Another benefit by having a best of x number of shorter sets is that people that can only watch one of the three days for example are going to be more likely to buy it because each individual race means something. Many people don't want to buy only a partial section of a continuous event. Like who would pay to watch one quarter of a football game? But you might pay to watch one game of a world series even if you couldn't watch the whole series.

Last edited:

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
2 out 3 races to 21 would be great, one set to 21 means little IMO. I do think Shane is 6/5 money line favorite and I will give 10-1 that the match is closer then Shane playing that Greek dude. :p

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2 out 3 races to 21 would be great, one set to 21 means little IMO. I do think Shane is 6/5 money line favorite and I will give 10-1 that the match is closer then Shane playing that Greek dude. :p

I'll take that bet Lenny. My 30 to your 300. Ko must 10 for you to win.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me, the youtube video of him doing a silly dance routine with Wu and the foppish hairstyles leave an impression of softness and immaturity.

The dance video is seven years old, though. I'm sure he's matured since then, but Shane's harder than a coffin nail... I still think he's too strong for Ko in a long race.

Taiwan has/had a VERY different attitude about young straight guys looking a bit limp wristed. For a while at least it was all the rage.

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
Does anybody know if this match will be available to viewers in Taiwan/ Asia?

If by available, you mean they can buy the ppv, then more than likely yes, but it will be probably start in the early morning on a weekday in Taiwan, so I doubt there will be many viewers. CSI might want to think about running it a second time after it finishes for the international market.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If by available, you mean they can buy the ppv, then more than likely yes, but it will be probably start in the early morning on a weekday in Taiwan, so I doubt there will be many viewers. CSI might want to think about running it a second time after it finishes for the international market.

Ahh...I hope the Asian market signs up in droves and that the matchup sparks enough interest for a real match down the road between svb/ ko.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Should be. I can get PPV matches shown on audiovideoweb without a vpn and ones shown on Ustream with a VPN from China.

Got all TAR matches no problem.

China?

Never heard of her.
rooster2.jpg

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably will help him out. It's better to come on and say "Look, I'm a friend of Ozzy, he's a great guy and does care what customers think. I'm sure the input from AZ will not go unnoticed in the next set of matches".

That would help him, but bickering and defending some statements he regretted saying is not the way to help your friend.

Believe me, we all understand defending a buddy. But if I say something regretful (which is a daily occurance) I pretty much expect my friends to disappear!

Or, Just have Justin handle the PR. Everybody's afraid to piss him off.

That's funny I know Ozzy have had a few conversations and I learned that the only right opinion is his ,, and the only thing he cares about is the bottom line,, in fact he all but told me that