A plea to CSI regarding SVB vs Ko

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
That's funny I know Ozzy have had a few conversations and...the only thing he cares about is the bottom line,, in fact he all but told me that

That is all that should matter to him. I am failing to see the problem. He is employed by a company to make the the most money possible for them, just like every single other employee in the entire world including you, if you work for anyone else. If this isn't your priority you should be fired. Now this is often accomplished in intangible ways that the narrow or simple minded might not understand, but it is still about the bottom line.

The bottom line is all that matters and all that really should matter to any business. Everything any business does--everything--is ultimately about making money as it should be. Complaining about a business whose main focus is the bottom line? Wow, just what do you think the whole purpose of having a business is? :::Whispering:::: Hint, it is about making money. When you have another purpose you create a charity. Charities are for those other purposes. But the whole and sole purpose of businesses is the bottom line--making money.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is all that should matter to him. I am failing to see the problem. He is employed by a company to make the the most money possible for them, just like every single other employee in the entire world including you, if you work for anyone else. If this isn't your priority you should be fired. Now this is often accomplished in intangible ways that the narrow or simple minded might not understand, but it is still about the bottom line.

The bottom line is all that matters and all that really should matter to any business. Everything any business does--everything--is ultimately about making money as it should be. Complaining about a business whose main focus is the bottom line? Wow, just what do you think the whole purpose of having a business is? :::Whispering:::: Hint, it is about making money. When you have another purpose you create a charity. Charities are for those other purposes. But the whole and sole purpose of businesses is the bottom line--making money.
And the oz does hold an MBA...so he certainly knows quite a bit about 'bidness'.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
They have been matching up with long races for years in the Philippines. An every night cheap match up is race to 21. If big money or top players playing it's 30-35. They practice the ghost going to 11 or more. JT

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Boy your intellect is astonishing ,, now you might try to comprehend the statement in its context instead of pointing out the obvious ,,, and in your free time check out his PPV viewers next action tour event ,, oh that's right he has to give it for free now ,, my bad

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
They have been matching up with long races for years in the Philippines. An every night cheap match up is race to 21. If big money or top players playing it's 30-35. They practice the ghost going to 11 or more. JT

What's your point? CSI's was not formed to sort out who is better than who in the gambling world. Their purpose is to make money.

They do not feel that super long races grow the fan base or make any money. History has proven beyond all doubt that they are right.

The problem is that many of you are thinking of this in terms of what will give a more definite winner (and even there you are all wrong as long match consisting of several shorter sets is more definitive, as is alternate breaks), or what your own personal viewing preferences are, instead of thinking of it like CSI has to think of it. And the ONLY way they can think about it is what is going to attract the most fans/make the most money? Everything else is absolutely immaterial. They aren't a charity.

And you can argue that you think the long race format will attract the most fans and make the most money but it would be a really dumb argument when for years it hasn't made any money and hasn't attracted more than 200 fans. Do you realize how ridiculous 200 sales is? Unless you are selling skyscrapers 200 sales is as miserable a failure as is possible. It is time to try something new, and there is a chance it could do much better, and almost no chance it could do any worse from a business perspective, which is the only way that CSI can look at it.

beetle

Do I bug you?
Silver Member
I don't know what your vendetta with Ozzy is all about. Pool was dead in the mid-Atlantic before Ozzy came along. In fact, that is why Ozzy came along--to fill that void with the Action Pool Tour. 99% of us are very appreciative for him doing that.

Hey, I remember talking to you at Big Daddies during one of Ozzy's early events. I remember you were complaining about something you disagreed with there. I can't remember exactly, but Ozzy didn't agree with your opinion. I think that is what bothers you. It seems that you cannot accept that a person may legitimately have reasons for doing something in a way different from what you prefer. Have you ever changed your mind based on further data that showed your first approach may have been wrong?

Maybe you think Ozzy is stubborn and opinionated, but I know Ozzy has no problem evolving to new circumstances and data concerning his tournaments:

Here are just 3 examples where he has made changes based on his experiences:

1. Going back to a free stream model after trying a low streaming fee.

2. Not bumping paid entrants from a tournament if they are late (although they may be forfeited from the first match).

3. Changing format from all ball fouls to Cue ball fouls only.

So, when you are constantly complaining about Ozzy and his tour, you should remember what we had around here when Planet Pool was flopping around like a dying fish.

--Steve
Boy your intellect is astonishing ,, now you might try to comprehend the statement in its context instead of pointing out the obvious ,,, and in your free time check out his PPV viewers next action tour event ,, oh that's right he has to give it for free now ,, my bad

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And the oz does hold an MBA...so he certainly knows quite a bit about 'bidness'.

I dont think that means much these days. Im not trying to be cute either. Two of the dumbest people im my circle have Masters. Astonishingly dumb. One of them will flat out admit they are weak on brains. I would bet anything neither IQ is 100+. You pay your money and put in your time and a Masters is yours especially if you go for it say after age 30 or so at night or online if u can do that. In my world, you couldnt get any kind of diploma online.

Last edited:

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member

And your intellect is apparently lacking. I responded to exactly what you wrote in the context you wrote it. You said dumb things, and I pointed out why they were dumb. Now perhaps you meant something else besides what you actually said, but I can't read your mind--I can only respond to what you actually say. Now if you did mean something else then work on how to communicate.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know what your vendetta with Ozzy is all about. Pool was dead in the mid-Atlantic before Ozzy came along. In fact, that is why Ozzy came along--to fill that void with the Action Pool Tour. 99% of us are very appreciative for him doing that.

Hey, I remember talking to you at Big Daddies during one of Ozzy's early events. I remember you were complaining about something you disagreed with there. I can't remember exactly, but Ozzy didn't agree with your opinion. I think that is what bothers you. It seems that you cannot accept that a person may legitimately have reasons for doing something in a way different from what you prefer. Have you ever changed your mind based on further data that showed your first approach may have been wrong?

Maybe you think Ozzy is stubborn and opinionated, but I know Ozzy has no problem evolving to new circumstances and data concerning his tournaments:

Here are just 3 examples where he has made changes based on his experiences:

1. Going back to a free stream model after trying a low streaming fee.

2. Not bumping paid entrants from a tournament if they are late (although they may be forfeited from the first match).

3. Changing format from all ball fouls to Cue ball fouls only.

So, when you are constantly complaining about Ozzy and his tour, you should remember what we had around here when Planet Pool was flopping around like a dying fish.

--Steve
Your intitled to your opinion ,,but let's gets some facts straight ,, one he had no choice but to go back to free stream like it was before because no one was buying it
My complaint with it was if you paid to get in the turny you should get to watch the stream for free ,,, he first told me that was impossible to do the way the computer was set up ,, I told him that's BS then his response was well I have to pay for the new equipment
Now to him saving pool in the area ,,I also have had this debate with him on this pipe dream ,, he killed 3 tourneys in the area by his east coast turny qualifiers
Ask Curtis and Rick what they think of his running turnys over top of theirs
Yes he did change the other 2 no brainer's

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's funny I know Ozzy have had a few conversations and I learned that the only right opinion is his ,, and the only thing he cares about is the bottom line,, in fact he all but told me that

That has not been my experience in my conversations with Ozzy.

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Out of all the really smart people I've ever known, few if any,
ever felt the need to broadcast how smart they were.

Last edited:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That has not been my experience in my conversations with Ozzy.

I'm sure that's true ,, I can only base my opinion on my conversations with him and what I've seen and heard from others
Maybe he'll show me different thru others suggestions here and on the podcasts ,,

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And your intellect is apparently lacking. I responded to exactly what you wrote in the context you wrote it. You said dumb things, and I pointed out why they were dumb. Now perhaps you meant something else besides what you actually said, but I can't read your mind--I can only respond to what you actually say. Now if you did mean something else then work on how to communicate.

You pointed out exactly zero ,,

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
You pointed out exactly zero ,,

No you just weren't capable of understanding it apparently. You said Ozzy only cares about the bottom line, as if that was a bad thing that he shouldn't be doing. I pointed out that is all he should care about, and he would in fact be derelict in his duty if he cared about anything else. To feel that he should care about anything else just shows naivety/ignorance.

As someone else said, your problem with Ozzy is really just a personal one. You disagreed with him in the past over something in person and can't stand that he had the gall to disagree with the almighty one stroke--his reason and logic be damned. And I'm guessing that in explaining to you why he felt you were wrong you ended up seeing the light and realizing he was in fact actually right (whether you admitted it or not) which made it even worse because you then felt dumb about being on the wrong side of the debate and it became even more personal to you. Only guessing about that last part but it would help explain why your issue with him is so personal.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Taiwan has/had a VERY different attitude about young straight guys looking a bit limp wristed. For a while at least it was all the rage.

I was making no reference to what his sexual orientation is or appears to be.

I just don't see the focus and mental toughness Shane displays.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
As I have stated twice now in this thread...

No you just weren't capable of understanding it apparently. You said Ozzy only cares about the bottom line, as if that was a bad thing that he shouldn't be doing. I pointed out that is all he should care about, and he would in fact be derelict in his duty if he cared about anything else. To feel that he should care about anything else just shows naivety/ignorance.

As someone else said, your problem with Ozzy is really just a personal one. You disagreed with him in the past over something in person and can't stand that he had the gall to disagree with the almighty one stroke--his reason and logic be damned. And I'm guessing that in explaining to you why he felt you were wrong you ended up seeing the light and realizing he was in fact actually right (whether you admitted it or not) which made it even worse because you then felt dumb about being on the wrong side of the debate and it became even more personal to you. Only guessing about that last part but it would help explain why your issue with him is so personal.

He shouldn't be a part of the debate. It is not smart business to alienate customers or potential customers.

You simply say, we are considering all options for future endeavors and we appreciate your input.

As I said before...

"Opinions are like assholes, everyone has them and they all stink, but people don't want you sniffing their asses and telling them they should wipe better".

Jaden

p.s. Once you are running a business or representing one, you have to take care with airing your opinion, you might not like the results.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
2... I will give 10-1 that the match is closer then Shane playing that Greek dude. :p

Let's see -- Van Boening beat "that Greek dude" 50 - 21 and that Greek dude beat Ko 9 - 2 (2012 China Open), so I figure Van Boening should beat Ko about 21 - 2. Right?

50 ÷ 21 = 2.38
9 ÷ 2 = 4.5
2.38 x 4.5 = 10.7
21 ÷ n = 10.7
n = 1.96, which rounds to 2
So, 21 - 2

This handicapping/prognosticating stuff is simple.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The fact is brain surgeon I don't need you to point out the ridiculously obvious that the man is in it for the bottom line , so get off your high horse and step down to earth ,, my comment was he did not care what others opinion was ,,and since he all but told me that it's the only conclusion one can come too
I actually was right he tried to lie to me and when he realized I was not biting he came with the truth ,,, it's not personal I don't take much of anything personal and certainly nothing related to pool , It is what it is

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
He shouldn't be a part of the debate. It is not smart business to alienate customers or potential customers.

You simply say, we are considering all options for future endeavors and we appreciate your input.

While this is generally true, I disagree that it is always true. He/they have already taken long races into consideration and ruled them out. Period. Why on earth would he say he will take requests for long races into consideration when he has no intention to do so? Do you expect him to lie? I think that would be even worse to lie to people and humor them when there is no genuine intention to ever do it. I think you would be better off saying we have considered it already, and ruled it out, and here is why. And that is exactly what he did.

Also, sometimes your customers have to be educated when they are wrong. They aren't wrong for having their own preferences, but they may be wrong about what is best for the sport, or what will best allow CSI to make the most money. Sometimes everybody benefits when you just educate people instead of pandering to their ignorance.