Another of our pool gang has passed

Alf Taylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My dear friend, William J. Manning AKA Billy Mack, Billy Banks and, as Earl the Pearl called him Gigolo Bill, succumbed to brain cancer at three AM. I knew Billy first in the 70s as a youngster who liked to bet on me. We even took a couple of road trips together. A couple of years ago we re-kindled our friendship and I had the extreme pleasure of having him as a close friend and capable sparring partner. Leave him a bank and you'd think you're up against Eddie Taylor.
We have been going through this with him for the past four or five months, watching him get progressively weaker. A few weeks back he told us his doctor told him to "go where he wants and eat what he wants," which is exactly what he did. He first included the Taylor's on his Bucket List. We took him to Mt. Lemon and some of the places he enjoyed in Tucson then down to Tombstone. I've asked Bill Porter to post some pictures for me. His son, Derrick took him to the Grand Canyon and other places and was at his side when he left us.
In fact, Billy's doctor had really told him he should stay and continue with "more aggressive treatment, immediately." Billy, sick of the sickening treatment, chose to die on his own terms, pretty much the way he lived. None of his many friends and loved ones he left behind could remember Bill Manning say a bad word about anyone.
We will miss him dearly. Alfie Taylor

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alfie...condolences to his family and friends. And particularly to you...it's clear that you lost a very fine friend.

Your words speak highly of him and you as well.

Take care

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Photos of Billy Mack

Alf Taylor asked me to post some pics of his dear friend, Billy Manning. Here they are.

i-sbVV25j-L.jpg

i-mjmMW4w-L.jpg

i-8B5tfVq-L.jpg

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm glad I got to meet Billy, he was one of the good guys.
I used to enjoy watching him and Steve Glenn battle.

Alf Taylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alf Taylor asked me to post some pics of his dear friend, Billy Manning. Here they are.

i-sbVV25j-L.jpg

i-mjmMW4w-L.jpg

i-8B5tfVq-L.jpg

The pictures are of a trip Billy, my wife, Judi and I took to Tombstone last week. The pool room is the one where Morgan Earp was shot and killed. The cowboys with Billy told us that Morgan was shot by accident. They thought he was Wyatt. How's that for drawing an unlucky card? The other picture is Billy taking my wife into Big Nose Kate's saloon to buy her a sasparila. (I know it's mis-spelled)
Rest in peace, you honorable, courageous man.
With love and high respect. Alfie and Judi

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend Alfie, and condolences to all his family
and friends. I'm sure he felt the love you all had for him.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry

Sorry to hear the Pool world has lost another. My condolences to Billy's family and to you his close friends.

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Condolences to Billy's family and friends. Hope you are well, Alf.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I had the pleasure of being around Billy at the poolroom, always a smile and something good to say. He will be missed by many. RIP Billy.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
Condolences to you and his family. Oft times some of the best friendships in life are made in the pool hall. Sorry for your loss.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry for your loss Alfie..Wish I'd got to meet Bill. Give me a ring sometime.

Dick