Anyone else want to see the mosconi cup move to 10-ball?

DrClean

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the Mosconi Cup is becoming a little silly honestly. Mainly due to the break. I'm tired of seeing all these crazy break rules. I think it takes a lot away from the game. They started with racking the 9-ball on the spot, and then it went to 3 balls passing the head-string. Now there's a break-box... WTF. It's hardly 9-ball anymore. It's almost(or is) a disadvantage to be breaking at the mosconi cup. Why not just play 10-ball instead? You won't see anybody soft-breaking, and with the extra ball they'll find that it's slightly more difficult than 9-ball. opinions?

rhatten

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the Mosconi Cup is becoming a little silly honestly. Mainly due to the break. I'm tired of seeing all these crazy break rules. I think it takes a lot away from the game. They started with racking the 9-ball on the spot, and then it went to 3 balls passing the head-string. Now there's a break-box... WTF. It's hardly 9-ball anymore. It's almost(or is) a disadvantage to be breaking at the mosconi cup. Why not just play 10-ball instead? You won't see anybody soft-breaking, and with the extra ball they'll find that it's slightly more difficult than 9-ball. opinions?

Ummmm... Yes. Better representation of skills with no slop. Can't win on the break. I'm in.

Randy

Jerry Forsyth

All pool purists will approve of a move to 10-Ball. But it will not happen. You must remember that before the Mosconi Cup is anything else it is a TV production. That gives severe time constraints that cannot be adjusted. Even playing 9-Ball the time becomes a factor year after year (until this year).

10-Ball takes longer per rack to play. So the already short races would have to be shorter or the race length would have to be reduced. Plus, The Mosconi Cup has established itself in the 9-Ball format and to change a brand that works is most likely not in the offing. Pool players may not find it unsettling to move between 9-Ball and 10-Ball because they know the rules. The mass audience does not. And that is a problem.

The only comparison I can make is that competitive drivers would probably like to see NASCAR get away from the follow-the-leader boredom of Daytona and Talledega but turn left, go straight, turn left is a format that is understood by all and will not be altered.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I liked how the break rules worked this year, it was anything but predictable, like most pro events. The players had to work at it.

If they keep it the same way next year, 9-ball is fine.

DrClean

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All pool purists will approve of a move to 10-Ball. But it will not happen. You must remember that before the Mosconi Cup is anything else it is a TV production. That gives severe time constraints that cannot be adjusted. Even playing 9-Ball the time becomes a factor year after year (until this year).

10-Ball takes longer per rack to play. So the already short races would have to be shorter or the race length would have to be reduced. Plus, The Mosconi Cup has established itself in the 9-Ball format and to change a brand that works is most likely not in the offing. Pool players may not find it unsettling to move between 9-Ball and 10-Ball because they know the rules. The mass audience does not. And that is a problem.

The only comparison I can make is that competitive drivers would probably like to see NASCAR get away from the follow-the-leader boredom of Daytona and Talledega but turn left, go straight, turn left is a format that is understood by all and will not be altered.

It being branded is what I saw as the reason not to change. I don't think it would be anymore difficult for the mass audience to figure out the the rules are the same except with an extra ball. I prefer call shot 10-ball. But I think that for the purposes of the cup, it should be slop. It makes it a little more exciting and it is what the mass audience is used to seeing. I think it just fixes the problem of the crazy break-rules that the people that have played a few times in a bar are scratching their heads about. "Why do 3-balls have to pass the headstring???" "Why can he only break from a 1 sq. ft. box???" "I don't remember those rules from the bar!?!?!" I don't think that the time difference between a 9-ball and 10-ball rack is so severe that they'll have anymore trouble figuring out the scheduling and coordinating. Those big time tv producers and coordinators and behind the scenes people, all make the big bucks because they're good at their jobs. But you may be right. They maybe might be better off playing a race to 5 instead of 6(i think they do 6 now right?)

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
Even if the do move to 10 ball, they'll turn it into some horse-****ed carny game for TV. I'd just rather see it disappear at this point.

I'd like to see them add some integrity to the the team selection, and make it so I don't have to dick around with 5-10 websites before I can find a place to view it, before they do ANYTHING else...

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Heck no for 10 Ball. Team USA can't even run 9 balls and now you want to make it harder??????????:eek:

And the break is simple. Practice for 20 minutes then you can figure it out easy. Just use a regular cue with a really soft tip. :grin:

How dumb can you be to not be able to break....:confused:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Nope, John Q Public finally understands what 9 ball is, why confuse the market we have so unsuccessfully gone after. To them looks no different than all the other fodder on TV/pool related. If they see ten balls racked up, they probably will think its an 8 ball rack or???? KISS

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I think matchroom not only wants hard breaks, but also more dry breaks and fewer break'n'runs.

Players like Shane, Mike D., Shaw, have figured out the 10 ball break and make a predictable
ball pretty regularly, and also hang the 1 ball near the corner. (well, OK, it's not THAT simple
or we'd all be doing it), But moving to 10b would make the break easier than
using the 2013 rules for 9-ball.

They've never moved backwards to make the break easier.

As for the advantage of call shot - for the purposes of spectator entertainment,
stuff like slopped kicks and golden breaks is more fun to watch.
And spectator entertainment is #1 in this production. "Fair" takes a backseat.
Though statistically the better team WILL win in 21 races to 5.

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
I think matchroom not only wants hard breaks, but also more dry breaks and fewer break'n'runs.

Players like Shane, Mike D., Shaw, have figured out the 10 ball break and make a predictable
ball pretty regularly, and also hang the 1 ball near the corner. (well, OK, it's not THAT simple
or we'd all be doing it), But moving to 10b would make the break easier than
using the 2013 rules for 9-ball.

They've never moved backwards to make the break easier.

As for the advantage of call shot - for the purposes of spectator entertainment,
stuff like slopped kicks and golden breaks is more fun to watch.
And spectator entertainment is #1 in this production. "Fair" takes a backseat.
Though statistically the better team WILL win in 21 races to 5.

The break wasn't harder in 2013. I honestly believe that the break wasn't difficult at all. it required very little skill, just hit the living shit out of it, and hope. The break was basically eliminated...

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
10-ball won't help.

Even if the do move to 10 ball, they'll turn it into some horse-****ed carny game for TV. I'd just rather see it disappear at this point.

I'd like to see them add some integrity to the the team selection, and make it so I don't have to dick around with 5-10 websites before I can find a place to view it, before they do ANYTHING else...

I agree.
At this point, I'd much rather watch the European and Asian teams play each other than the US.
Maybe they should create something new like a US vs. Mexico, where the
Americans would do better. They could satisfy American ego by billing it as "Remember the Alamo"...

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
No on the 10 ball.

But I have always felt 9 ball should be a called pocket game. As well as any other professionally played game.

bowiebill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
there is nothing worse than seeing a pro player slop a ball and win a rack or worse a match.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
I liked how the break rules worked this year, it was anything but predictable, like most pro events. The players had to work at it.

If they keep it the same way next year, 9-ball is fine.

I too think they nailed it this year with the break. Prior years with the 3 ball headstring rule too often penalized a legitimate break attempt. IMO, no to 10 ball.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
There was nothing broken about the version of 9-ball played at this year's Mosconi. In fact, it is a shame that this format isn't used in all pro events.

Only the most delusional believe that slop is deciding the Mosconi Cup. Best of 21 races to six is a marathon and the better team has been winning quite consistently in this format. In 2013, the WPA had a 9-ball World championship but not a 10-ball World Championship. In Matchroom events, they play 9-ball. On the Eurotour, they play 9-ball. Right now, 9-ball is the game that the world watches.

Those who persist in suggesting that 9- ball is broken and that it randomizes the results of matches need look no further than the list of Derby City 9-ball champions. It's an absolute who's who of pool, and cinderella stories just don't happen, despite the fact that the races have been to seven in nine of the last ten years. The last ten winners of the DCC 9-ball event were 2013 Pagulayan, 2012 Van Boening, 2011 Orcullo, 2010 Reyes, 2009 Van Boening, 2008 Souquet, 2007 Feijen, 2006 Souquet, 2005 Reyes, and 2004 Souquet, every single one of them a current or future BCA hall of famer. Short races, slop counts, rack your own and no jump cues, all of which so many dare to suggest block the cream from the rising to the top, have made no difference year after year after year. Is there any tournament anywhere that more consistently delivers a great champion than the Derby City Nine Ball event? I really don't think so.

.... 9-ball, that's the ticket

Last edited:

sytesounds

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As much as I like watching 10 ball, I also think keeping the format 9 ball is better. This year's break rules made the break considerably less predictable and actually seemed to cause more clusters.

While the Europeans seemed to figure out the break (breaking an inch from centre to have the 2 ball kick the 9 towards the corner pocket), it still made the outcome less predictable and harder to control. Ultimately I thought it made the matches much more interesting.

For what it's worth, I've fooled around with racking with the 9 on the spot, breaking hard from juts off centre and thought it was quite fun. I find it interesting how the balls often cluster up table.

At least that's my 2 cents.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
there is nothing worse than seeing a pro player slop a ball and win a rack or worse a match.

And there is nothing worse than a pro playing safe because he's not good enough to make a hard shot.:rolleyes:

Make it ball in hand after every miss.:thumbup:

So why isn't it a good shot if someone plays safe, then you can't even see the ball but you luck it in? :scratchhead:

There will always be luck in the game of pool.:yes:

Some people are just more lucky than others.:smile:

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably the biggest player and crowd reactions come when the 9 is slopped and when other balls are slopped by accident during a game.

Turn it into a purist challenge and Joe Average will switch channels.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
10-ball

Race to 7, alternate break

eliminate a few individual matches to make up for the extra time taken.