Are you better or worse than what others think of you?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pool players are always rated at their highest level. Meaning if a guy is or has been a good player, he will always have to match up at that speed. No one wants to hear the "I haven't been playing" story.

As for me, I can't play a lick anymore, but I occasionally fool someone. No one ever thinks I can play, and I like that. :D

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
At my pool hall there are a few different categories that have different views on me:

Players that are significantly below me think I'm great. They think I'm better than I actually am.

Players that are just a little below me think they can play me even. I love those guys. They think I'm worse than I actually am.

Players that I actually play even with think we play even. I play a lot with them. They've got my game clocked well.

Players that play a little better than me don't want to spot me what I actually need to have a chance to beat them. They see me during the rack or two where I'm not dogging any balls, and they see that I have a good stroke, play smart position routes, and have good speed control, and they think I play just as good as they do. They won't acknowledge that I completely dog one out of every 7 or 8 routine easy shots where they only dog one out of every 15 or 20, and they only want to play me even. I do play them even, but only for what I can afford to lose (read: "invest in my improvement").

Players that play much better than me: There's only one regular at the pool hall I match up in (I go to more than one pool hall, but I'm only a part of the matching up hierarchy in one) who plays much better than me. I think he knows exactly what I need to have a good chance to beat him, but he's not willing to give me all of it. He spots me, but never enough. I like playing him anyway, because he always teaches me something. I would say he's got my speed clocked correctly.

-Andrew

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I think I underestimate myself at times. Or perhaps I expect more from myself than the level I play at currently.

Most of the guys on my team think I play better than I give myself credit for. I don't know if they're being genuine, or simply trying to encourage me, but I'm not satisfied. We all still have fun, and that's the point. I think.

dru

Registered
I think I underestimate myself at times. Or perhaps I expect more from myself than the level I play at currently.

Most of the guys on my team think I play better than I give myself credit for. I don't know if they're being genuine, or simply trying to encourage me, but I'm not satisfied. We all still have fun, and that's the point. I think.

Thats what the people on my team say about me too, and then it really drives me nuts when I play bad!!

J.T.450r

Chesapeake Custom Cues
Silver Member
Most people who know me think I am a lot better than I really am. I am way to streaky of a player to be very consistent and when I lose or shoot bad people think I am just not trying or letting them win but thats not always the case.

dru

Registered
Most people who know me think I am a lot better than I really am. I am way to streaky of a player to be very consistent and when I lose or shoot bad people think I am just not trying or letting them win but thats not always the case.

I know that feeling all to well also!!!

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
People think I'm pretty good, and I also think I'm pretty good, so I guess they have me clocked. Of course they're easily impressed and I'm a little cocky :)

MinoInADixeCup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It depends if I'm trying to win or just playing for fun.

BINGO!

Anyone that knows me well knows that competing against me is a totally different experience than warming up or practicing with me is.

This has worked to my advantage several times in tournaments.

robleyf7

AZB Horse 2016
Silver Member
well i know that i.m better then what AZB has seen me shoot on stream my friends thats been knowing me for years knows what i can do :thumbup:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most people seem to think that i can play a little but i cant. I know what is in my head when im shooting and im never sure of any shot that isnt hanging in the pocket-I can only shoot with follow. Draw or center ball are sure misses.

I haven't won a handicapped event in over 15 years and it was only one. I'd say i have less talent for this game than 90% on here. Funny thing is i was a 2 handicap in golf when i was 15/16. Even that left me for a while, returning only briefly.

TXsouthpaw

My tush hog
Silver Member
I am so inconsistent, people could say anything....many nights, I can't make a ball.....very few nights, I can't miss.....sort of a bad C player that shows hints of decent play every now and then....don't really play much anymore so you never know who's gonna show up.....some probably think I am better, some think worse.....dunno???

Im the same way. Im so streaky that I cant even clock my game. Depends on how im shooting and if im drinking. I can go from running out from places I shouldnt be able to, to missing ball in hand over and over in the blink of an eye.

jdxprs

Banned
Well me personally I feel like it depends on what day of the week, what equipment is being used, and how my stroke is. Id say Im about 50/50 with what people think...worst people think Im good, and better people think Im not...although I do get "the potential" speech alot...right Jeff?

lol. good to see you bud!

potential is relative. its all a matter of how much we try to learn more each and every day. :D

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
It's Unanimous

Most say I play really bad, I think I am worse than that.
I have the attention span of a gnat.

Mike in MN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played in a singles 8 ball tournament a couple of weeks ago. I lost my first two matches and I was done. After I lost my second match, the gal who beat me (she played absolutely flawless) said to me, "As soon as I saw I drew you, I thought I was going home!"

I think a lot of people have seen me shoot my A game, and therefore rate me based on that. Therefore, when I have an off day, like I did the day of that tournament, people who know me are really curious as to what the hell is going on. I don't mind people thinking that way. If someone is even slightly intimidated by my game, then that gives me that much of an advantage before I even rack the first match.

nathandumoulin

WPBL / RUNOUT MEDIA
Silver Member
I only get to play once a week, so when I do finally pick up a cue, my speed varies drastically. Some days I string together 3 racks, other days I cant string together 3 balls. What people think of me depends on what day they've seen me play.

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would guess that most people think they are better than they actually are. Most of my friends think I am better than I really am, but that is because they are not knowledgeable about pool. I supposse you can find out just how good you are by playing in some healthy competition.

Standbykid

Results or excuses?
Silver Member
My inconsistency is the only consistent thing about my game.

I play worse than most people think. I also play in a small, newer poolhall and there isn't a ton of talent in there. Don't get me wrong, there are some guys that I would definitely put some cash on, but most of us are C to C+ players.

-J

jdxprs

Banned
My inconsistency is the only consistent thing about my game.

I play worse than most people think. I also play in a small, newer poolhall and there isn't a ton of talent in there. Don't get me wrong, there are some guys that I would definitely put some cash on, but most of us are C to C+ players.

-J

what's the name of this pool hall? :thumbup: