BCA Nationals now "World" tournament?

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I mean no disrespect to anyone (BCA/CSI staff or players) with this post, but am having a hard time understanding this one. Maybe someone can explain it to me.

Apparently what used to be the "National" BCA league tournament is now being called the "World Championships".

I'm seeing players pop up on Facebook updates from BCA being referred to as "World Champions". These are players who are not on the top 10 Fargo World rankings, as they are no where near that skill level/ability.

Why are these players being called "World Champions"?

And yes, I know you can name a tournament anything you want, and call the winners anything you want. But really?

Last edited:

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
maybe it is like the give everyone trophy syndrome, like the APA handicap tournaments in there local rooms?!

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Are there players at the BCA tourney from other countries?

If so, then I can understand how they call it a world championship.

APA does the same thing, as players compete and represent Canada and Japan, that I know of, there may be other countries represented also.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
maybe it is like the give everyone trophy syndrome, like the APA handicap tournaments in there local rooms?!

Maybe you are being facetious and then...maybe not. I have been playing apa for 8 years and I haven't gotten a damn thing from apa that I did not earn by my achievements on the table.

I have also played bcapl...napa...tap ...and usapl. None of those leagues have ever " given " away any " participation" trophies either..

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I mean no disrespect to anyone (BCA/CSI staff or players) with this post, but am having a hard time understanding this one. Maybe someone can explain it to me.

Apparently what used to be the "National" BCA league tournament is now being called the "World Championships".

I'm seeing players pop up on Facebook updates from BCA being referred to as "World Champions". These are players who are not on the top 10 Fargo World rankings, as they are no where near that skill level/ability.

Why are these players being called "World Champions"?

And yes, I know you can name a tournament anything you want, and call the winners anything you want. But really?
Because it’s been a world event for a while. Australians from their local CSI leagues winning divisions last year may have pushed it to be renamed.

Freddie <~~~ don’t shoot the messenger

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Are there teams from the far east too?

Because it’s been a world event for a while. Australians from their local CSI leagues winning divisions last year may have pushed it to be renamed.

Freddie <~~~ don’t shoot the messenger

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
some of it was tongue in check and some not, I have been playing in one here that is to me and some others that will speak there minds about how it, that it is not being run correctly. The concept and integrity of the tournaments are being challenged by both directors and players everyday to where it does not make it worth the time and effort to continue playing in these tournaments at least in this area!

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
I told the BCAPL to change their name for years since they allow players from all over the world to play. They finally did it ....of course I got zero credit.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
some of it was tongue in check and some not, I have been playing in one here that is to me and some others that will speak there minds about how it, that it is not being run correctly. The concept and integrity of the tournaments are being challenged by both directors and players everyday to where it does not make it worth the time and effort to continue playing in these tournaments at least in this area!

We recently got a new league operator in our area. I was pretty much satisfied with how the old operator ran things but have to say I am pleasantly surprised with the changes he has initiated ....aside from raising me from a 5/5 to a 6/6 a few weeks after taking over lol.

We just had the largest turnout I can recall in a 9 ball tournament this past weekend. He is holding more money tournaments... Raffles and different types of tournaments. He talked with the room owners and got some of them to just charge green fees instead of us having to carry around a picket full of quarters all the time.

So far I am digging the changes he has made and I see him more often on the 3 nights I play than I did the previous owner.

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I mentioned the original concept was, is good, but there is always a way to and I had to use the term but corrupt the integrity of the system. I have seen some players that play in my area with some of the smoothest stroke and playing ability that are rated at a 7, I haven't played in about 30 years and started again in January of this year, I walked in off the street and was rated at a 9, I played in several as I understand it takes time to develop a background, so after having to give almost everyone except a small handful everything from the 5 out and getting beat every single week it gets old. I was finally lowered to an 8 to only experience the same type of losses, it may all sound like sour grapes and at first my mind set was that if I at least get my game time in then it equals what I have paid to play. But after yesterdays experience I think it is time to give up on this one house and move on, yesterday I had to sit and wait for over 2 hours to play then the opponent was no where to be found but I had to wait about 20 minutes for it to be declared a for fit. then wait about another hour while an 8 battled it out with a 4 I think as the one player got the 5 and out, then play the same 4 player and give the 5 and out, any way I'm done.

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
This is a huge pet peeve of mine. Mark and Ozzy know full well what the qualifications are for a World Championship and they know that this isn't one. I could understand it back when Charlie was doing this sort of thing, because he just didn't care about how these things work. Mark and Ozzy should though.

Whether you think the WPA is doing a good job or not, they are the governing body of pool in the world and you can't just decide to name an event as a world championship when you want to.

I realize that I am exaggerating things a bit here, but based on this logic you can call the winners of the Bronze Second Chance event a World Champion when Shane isn't. And no, Shane is not a former "World All Around World Champion" like some promoters like to claim he is.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a huge pet peeve of mine. Mark and Ozzy know full well what the qualifications are for a World Championship and they know that this isn't one. I could understand it back when Charlie was doing this sort of thing, because he just didn't care about how these things work. Mark and Ozzy should though.

Whether you think the WPA is doing a good job or not, they are the governing body of pool in the world and you can't just decide to name an event as a world championship when you want to.

I realize that I am exaggerating things a bit here, but based on this logic you can call the winners of the Bronze Second Chance event a World Champion when Shane isn't. And no, Shane is not a former "World All Around World Champion" like some promoters like to claim he is.

Now hold on. This is not a pro tournament, and no pros are allowed in any of the divisions. There’s no confusion that a BCA Pool League Women’s Senior Gold Division first place is a “world champion,” as if they’ve won Wimbledon or the Master’s or something.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I am a little surprised by this post, Mike.

Whether the event is called "BCAPL National Championships" or "BCAPL World Championships" doesn't change the fact that "BCAPL" is a critically important adjective here.

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Then why call it a World Championship? "World Championship" is not really a term that you can just decide to refer to your event as.

The event we had at Freezer's on the West Coast Swing drew players from all over the world. So was that a World Championship?

Now hold on. This is not a pro tournament, and no pros are allowed in any of the divisions. There’s no confusion that a BCA Pool League Women’s Senior Gold Division first place is a “world champion,” as if they’ve won Wimbledon or the Master’s or something.

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Because it is Mark and Ozzy still doesn't make it right. Honestly, I kind of feel it is worse when they do it because they know better.

I read their PR today. "Over the years, the BCA Pool League has sanctioned leagues from many different countries, and each year numerous countries are represented at the championship event in Las Vegas. Therefore, it is time to change the name to reflect the event’s global participation."

Actually it looks like they are referring to it as a "World" Championship. That doesn't make it any better. I wonder if they would be ok with someone forming the British Columbia Area Pool League and referring to themselves as the BCA Pool League?

I am a little surprised by this post, Mike.

Whether the event is called "BCAPL National Championships" or "BCAPL World Championships" doesn't change the fact that "BCAPL" is a critically important adjective here.

Tokyo-dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see the same thing. The watering down of the players field. All these "world champions" return to their home rooms as heroes, but none of them could get past the 2nd round in the US Open 9-Ball. No wonder we can't win the Mosconi Cup!

Dave

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
IMO a World Championship refers to the absolute best at any sport. I'm with Mike H. here. The best players currently competing in Las Vegas are at Griffs and not the Rio, and it's not even close. It would be a stretch to call it the BCAPL World Amateur Championship but that would be a little closer to the truth. Using the words World Championship so loosely minimizes its validity. Being a BCAPL National Champion is already a significant achievement.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So, would it also be wrong for them to call a tournament the "BCAPL US Championship" assuming that it was limited to players from the US? Or would that somehow imply that the winners were the best pool players in the US?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I kind of think too much emphasis is being placed on the word "world." Calling it a "world championship" does not mean it is associated with the WPA. Does the WPA have a patent on that word?

Of course, I am definitely NOT a WPA fan, but that's the topic of another thread. I won't get into it here. Those who know me are aware of why I have a strong disdain for the WPA and it's fat hand sticking out at every so-called "world" event to get greased with the WPA tax so the event can be sanctioned by them. Talk about the Emperor's New Clothes! :angry:

If it such a bugaboo, they could use these words instead: international, global, universal.

calcuttaman

Pool Player
Silver Member
I kind of think too much emphasis is being placed on the word "world." Calling it a "world championship" does not mean it is associated with the WPA. Does the WPA have a patent on that word?

I agree. If I call it "The BCAPL Michigan State Championship" is that alright because I'm not going to get all the best players from MI.

VNEA also says that they are doing a "'18 VNEA World Championships." Are they also in the wrong?

Attachments

• 2018-vnea-poster-small.jpg
    2018-vnea-poster-small.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 306