best 9 ball in their prime Buddy/Earl/Efren/Parica

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got these guys ranked 1a,b,c,d

how does a triple round robin tournament play out races to 20?

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
For tournament success, Sigel and Strickland are probably at the top, with Buddy close behind. For the cheese I've always heard Parica may have been the best ever, with Buddy close behind again. Strickland's top gear in his prime IMO was second to none, and Sigel's record in finals appearances was tops.

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On any given day each one of these players could beat the others. This is more of a question of who's feeling good and who's in stroke that particular day. All 4 of these players were world class at their respective primes. There's not too much separation between players at the top.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I asked Buddy about making money gambling, he told me the most he ever made was in OK, not Shreveport and the amount he won was surprisingly small. (He told me the best year he ever had, and he thought it was alot, but most factory workers make about the same amount)

But what I have heard, Buddy in his prime was a pretty solid bet and giving weight to Keith, and most other comers.

Efren is my favorite player, and IMO the best all around player of all time, but even Efren's cueball control is not in Buddy's league.

Siegal was probably strongest tournament with Earl right there too. But I am so petty, and Siegel is such an a$$ it taints my view.

Ken

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Van Boening has to be in the conversation given what he has done the last few year in the U S Open vs the world.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Van Boening has to be in the conversation given what he has done the last few year in the U S Open vs the world.

I agree. Winning 5 U.S. Opens, especially in this era, puts him right up there among the best ever.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
And the argument could be made that with today's approach to the break shot...players today are better, generally.

Buddy’s break was not of the high level the rest of his game was...
...so today’s breaking patterns and equipment would make him even more dangerous.

So my list, in their prime, #1 is Buddy Hall...you really had to see him when he was lighter.
..but everybody on that list, and Shane, was going to have a lot of winning days.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buddy’s break was not of the high level the rest of his game was...
...so today’s breaking patterns and equipment would make him even more dangerous.

So my list, in their prime, #1 is Buddy Hall...you really had to see him when he was lighter.
..but everybody on that list, and Shane, was going to have a lot of winning days.

Maybe, but IMO Efren (again IMO the best player) had the worst break of any of them. IMO, if his break was better he would have won alot more matches.

JMO

Ken

gesan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9ball only each at the top of their game the best they ever were IMHO Earl

Last edited:

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9ball only each at the top of their game the best they ever were IMHO Earl

Efren is best overall of all time, Efren said Siegel, Archer and Strickland was his toughest competition.
I think Earl could probably get someone off their game(or his) with his antics. but when he is on he just feels like the most dominating person out of the 4 listed, I think him shooting at break neck speed with such confidence can make the other guy get a little cold.

There isn't like a record of their match-ups like how many times they played, and who won more?

They have really nice tracking for snooker i.e. http://cuetracker.net/head-to-head/ronnie-osullivan/stephen-hendry

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Depends

On conditions:

The tougher the conditions ie; humidity, table, balls, crowd, railbirds, etc. the more I like the pinoys

The easier the conditions the more i like the gringos

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All the names mentioned are super talents but in nine ball nobody mentioned Wimpy???
I saw Lassiter in his best years.
I don't think he could've cashed many winning tickets against Reyes.
True, it was different times, different rules, equipment. etc. Nevertheless, my opinion still hangs with Reyes.
:thumbup:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

For the cash it's Parica all the way. In a tournament, I'd have to give it to Earl. He had the highest top speed of anyone. If they had to play one match for the title I might pick Buddy. If they play ANY game besides 9-Ball or Ten Ball Efren becomes the favorite. Rotation, 14.1, Eight Ball, One Pocket - all Efren! Only at Banks could Buddy give him a game, and maybe beat him. I could add Snooker and Billiards to the equation and they still favor Efren.

Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Most of the posts are fairly informative. The best nine ball player was Strickland, hands down. You had to watch him against the best, in the 80's, to know that.

One other erudite poster mentioned Wimpy.

You are correct. I think the best competition would be Wimpy against Mike Sigel, all games. Not just nine ball, but straight pool, and one pocket.

The winner woud be:

I think Lassiter, by a nose.

All the best,
WW

magicrat69210

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would,b nice if everyone could be 30 and play each other in their primes.....but it will never happen. I think Mike Sigel, Earl Strickland, and Shane V. Have to b considered top tournament players. As far as money there are so,many...... just for watching YouTube videos of how I think Buddy could probably get there against anyone because he played shape almost like he had ball in hand on every shot. I think over time that would play to his favor. I thought Alex P. Was playing terrific 9 ball for a few years and was winning quite often. But all players mentioned deserve their due.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
so how did Earl do against Efren in a race to 120 9ball for $100,000 ?

Blew a 104-87 lead going to 120.
And Parica also busted him in an ahead match in Texas according to Jay.

That being said, I think SVB is the best 9-baller who ever lived.
Winning 3 US Open in the field he had to deal with trumps Ear's 5 USO titles.
SVB's 5 USO titles dwarfs Earl's 5 USO titles.