Best Black Players Of All Time

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
RunoutalloverU said:
Isnt this kinda like asking who the best phillipino basketball player of all time is?

If the phillipino all-star dribblers played an AVERAGE inner-city high school team they are prohibitive dogs. Many of the black players discussed in this thread could, and some still can, play at world class levels.

Suggest head extraction prior to suffocation

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Who's the Best Black Player - Why it's matters

After reading through this thread, I have seen many comments about why shouldn't this thread be about the Best players instead of the Best Black players. Well folks, I have seen the ultimate in stupidity here on this forum with this thread. For those who are too dense to understand it, what you are saying is impossible. First of all the greatest White or Black players that any player would be compared to are no longer with us.

This thread is about honoring players that have never been properly given the credit they are due, so I will try to explain this in simple terms!!!!

PRIOR TO THE 1966 BLACK

PLAYERS WERE NOT ALLOWED TO COMPETE IN US NATIONAL

CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!!! THIS WAS DUE TO AN ATTITUDE THAT THEY WERE

NOT EQUAL TO WHITE PLAYERS !!!!! SO THE BEST BLACK PLAYERS CAN

NOT BE COMPARED TO WHITES PLAYERS!!!!!!!BECAUSE THE BEST BLACK

PLAYERS WERE NOT ALLOWED TO COMPETE AGAINST THEM!!! SO DUE TO

THIS INJUSTICE WE WILL NEVER KNOW WHO WAS BEST!!!!!!!!!!!

DO YOU GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!! DO YOU UNDERSTAND!!!!!!WOW THAT WAS EASY

WAS IT NOT!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your patients, and I am sorry for the rant!!!!!NOT!!!!!;)

Have a great night!!!! You see this forum can be educational can't it:)

Last edited:

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
manwon said:
Apparently there are no clear photo's of this great player. In 25 years of collecting billiards memorabilia, I have only seen one photo of James, and he was stepping out of a dark door way.

If anyone has anymore information or any photo's of James Evans please post them!!!!

Thanks in advance and have a good day!!!!!!

manwon,
In the June 2003 issue of Billiards Digest, Mike Gefner wrote a 10 page biographical article on James Evans. It includes a full page close up of Evans that is captioned "The only known photograph of James Evans".

BD may have an extra copy for sale.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Thanks so much to all the posters who contributed the inside information in this thread. Looking forward to more in Jay's book. Can't begin to tell you folks how much I enjoy reading this stuff.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Terry Ardeno said:
manwon,
In the June 2003 issue of Billiards Digest, Mike Gefner wrote a 10 page biographical article on James Evans. It includes a full page close up of Evans that is captioned "The only known photograph of James Evans".

BD may have an extra copy for sale.

Thanks Terry, I am familar with that photo, in fact it appears that may be the only know photo of him!!!!

Have a good night!!!!

Manwon

manwon said:
Thanks Terry, I am familar with that photo, in fact it appears that may be the only know photo of him!!!!

Have a good night!!!!

That has got to be the ugliest dog I have ever seen in my life..but I love it! where did you get that avatar from..?

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Walt Frazier said:
That has got to be the ugliest dog I have ever seen in my life..but I love it! where did you get that avatar from..?

Walt, I saw him in a post here on AZ titled the worlds ugliest dog. Turn out this little fellow won the World's Ugliest dog contest a few years in a row.

I just kinda liked the little fellow, so I down loaded his photo and used it. Turns out the little guy has been dead now for two or three years, so I guess it is kinda a tribute to him.

Oh and by the way, Gods ugliest creations need love too!!!!!!:D

Have a good night!!!

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Haven't any of you ever heard of "Rags" Woods? He played with Mosconi, Fats and Cowboy Jimmy Moore.

Glen

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
realkingcobra said:
Haven't any of you ever heard of "Rags" Woods? He played with Mosconi, Fats and Cowboy Jimmy Moore.

Glen

Please see my post #39 on this thread. He definitely belongs on here. The best black player in L.A. for many years. Cecil could never beat him, or Nate for that matter. Marvin maybe, but he wasn't from L.A. Just spent a long time here.

In the old days, there was White Rags (John Fitzpatrick) and Black Rags (Robert Woods). All the top players knew both.

chilli66

the chilli is back!
Silver Member
manwon said:
Walt, I saw him in a post here on AZ titled the worlds ugliest dog. Turn out this little fellow won the World's Ugliest dog contest a few years in a row.

I just kinda liked the little fellow, so I down loaded his photo and used it. Turns out the little guy has been dead now for two or three years, so I guess it is kinda a tribute to him.

Oh and by the way, Gods ugliest creations need love too!!!!!!:D

Have a good night!!!

Manwon, here's a pic of the newly-crowned winner for this year. Elwood is the name. Guess he has the blues!

elwood_180.jpg

I always feel so sad for those little guys, but it's obvious their owners love them!

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
chilli66 said:
Manwon, here's a pic of the newly-crowned winner for this year. Elwood is the name. Guess he has the blues!

View attachment 45217

I always feel so sad for those little guys, but it's obvious their owners love them!

Thanks for the picture Chilli66, you know I kinda think they are just like people, being ugly on outside has nothing to do with what is inside.

In fact, many bright and beautiful things are very dark on the inside, and Hell beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder anyway. It is kind of a shame, most of us go through our lives never taking the time to look inside what we perceive as ugly.

Oh and by the way, I have lived with that perception all my life, maybe that is why I can relate to the little fellows!!!!!!:D

Thanks again and have a good night!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

chilli66

the chilli is back!
Silver Member
Manwon, I think you are spot on there. Pity not everyone thinks that way. Rep for you, sir.

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
RunoutalloverU said:
Isnt this kinda like asking who the best phillipino basketball player of all time is?

Why would you have to ask this? Everyone knows it is Efren!

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
manwon said:
Jame Evans may be the most enigmatic figure of all. James was Ciscero Murphy's teacher, and was said to have been the best Black Player in the country through the 1940's into the 1950's. It is also said that he could have competed and won against the best in the Country if it had not been for the Racial problems of that time.

Apparently there are no clear photo's of this great player. In 25 years of collecting billiards memorabilia, I have only seen one photo of James, and he was stepping out of a dark door way.

If anyone has anymore information or any photo's of James Evans please post them!!!!

Thanks in advance and have a good day!!!!!!

In Minnesota Fats book, "The Bank Shot and Other Great Robberies", there is a picture of James Evans. He is smoking a cigerette and I believe it is a picture of him in his later years. Also, in the book, Fats stated that he beat Evan 30-40 games in a row. It was in the sports section at the library, but figured it could well have been in the fiction section.

memikey

Never Has Been
Silver Member
ShaneS said:
I really like Mark Tadd......

....... I can guarantee you that if Mark started playing for $ again, all the haters would be grabbing their azzes and running for the hills.

Didn't he make a comeback last year at the IPT North American Open under a new name, without much success?;)

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
rossaroni said:
In Minnesota Fats book, "The Bank Shot and Other Great Robberies", there is a picture of James Evans. He is smoking a cigerette and I believe it is a picture of him in his later years. Also, in the book, Fats stated that he beat Evan 30-40 games in a row. It was in the sports section at the library, but figured it could well have been in the fiction section.

Thanks for the information, I will have to check it out!!

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
manwon said:
Thanks for the information, I will have to check it out!!

I don't know if the first edition of the book has pictures, so I would try and find the newer edition. I believe the copy I have was from 2006- yep, I just checked it and it was the 2006 edition.

memikey

Never Has Been
Silver Member
Cornerman said:
.....Fred <~~~ wants to see a list of greatest white long jumpers and (non-Scandinavian) ping pong players

:confused: :confused: Fred........that's a very strange reference. Out of curiosity, what makes you imply that Scandinavian countries have had the highest proprtion of white ping pong Champions? The number of World Champions to date from all the Scandinavian countries added together is dwarfed by the number from non-Scandinavian countries with white populations. Hungary alone has had more Champions than Scandinavian countries.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks Jay

jay helfert said:
In the old days, there was White Rags (John Fitzpatrick) and Black Rags (Robert Woods). All the top players knew both.

Thanks Jay. This is what a few people aren't getting. The black players may not have been able to play in some events however this was because they were considered socially inferior by some, not inferior players. They carved their way into pool society by their own merits and did play the other greats of their time, white and black, that is how we are able to measure their greatness.

As I said in an earlier post, black pool players with plenty of skill and gamble were in the "white" pool halls long before segregation ended. I also made a few forays into "black" pool halls in the deep south back in the day when segregation was real. There were a few rumbles when I first came through the door but it quickly changed to "dayumn, that white boy can play pool!" This was actually during the ugliest days of racial tension when integration was first taking hold.

It didn't hurt things any that having been born in a small rural community the first juke boxes I ever saw had Hank and Lefty on them . . . and Otis and Marvin. Black and white, we all hung out together in the little country stores twenty years before integration was ever officially attempted.

Hu