best coach

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have gotten some good suggestions here, but the best one I can offer is to consider another option. You can spend 6 months with one person, or you can spend a week with 24 different instructors, and get access to a much broader range of information. My personal goal is to spend time with as many different instructors as I possibly can.

RandyG, Scott Lee, Stan, Tony, Rufus, Bob Jewett, Jerry Powers, Grady, Mark, Blackjack and dozens more (I suppose you could even add me to the list if you wanted to.)

Just think of all you could learn spending time with all of those great instructors. Why limit yourself to just one?

I would take that 6 months and go learn from as many different instructors as I possibly could. If you learned something helpful from only half of them, you would probably still come out ahead.

Just another idea to consider.

Steve

I think your idea is pretty good but I would add that by doing this, going to see a bunch of instructors, find the one that you feel the most comfortable with and who you understand the best and stay with that instructor for a longer period.

Another thing, just because someone is a great player it doesn't make them a great instructor. And, the best instructor may not be the best instructor for you. If you can't relate to him/her and don't understand them, that instructor won't be a good instructor for you.

Yukon Ed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In no particular order:
- Don Feeney
- Eddie Robin
- Victor Maduro (from Panama)
- Joe Tucker
- Mark Wilson

Palmerfan

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Ron & Tony

hey, im an excellent player, i want to spend 6 months with a good coach. who do u recommend

In New York there is Ron V. and also Tony Robles. Obviously Tony is busy with his league and time with his son but he is not only a world class player but a world class teacher as well. Only John Schmidt is on that level. There is a saying that "those who can't teach"..but Tony CAN..both playing and teaching.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
maybe ill get like ten grand saved up...then go to all the cities and visit these instructors....maybe rent a room offa craigslist for a a few months....

every day my mind screams at me...to do this....

You've been dreaming about doing this for quite some time. What have you been doing this last year?

Voodoo Daddy

One Pocket 101
maybe ill get like ten grand saved up...then go to all the cities and visit these instructors....maybe rent a room offa craigslist for a a few months....

every day my mind screams at me...to do this....

Make friends with a Phillipino player, fly to the Phillipines and play 10 hours a day with them. Cost ya about the same, you'll see some sights and and learn in the environment that produces stone cold killers. Never know, just might be in the water there, smirk.

Good Luck!!

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Your resume?

If you offer me your resume, including your approx speed, best games, significant matches, main goals, do you gamble, etc.? I would consider you. I have been looking for a good player to tutor, that I could turn into a world beater for quite a while. I have world class knowledge in fundamentals, game strategy, match strategy, gambling strategy, the mental and psychological side of all pool games (except straight pool, my Kyptonite). Specializing in bank pool and one pocket of course.

Freddy the Beard

People that I have spent a little time with include, Chris Gentile (2nd to Efren Reyes at the recent Vegas 1pkt tourn), Riley "Jet" Johnson (winner of the 2009 Ring Bank game at Derby City), and multiple Illinois tourn winner, including an Illinois state title, Jeannie Vogelsang.
Some players I worked with years ago, Tom Karabatsas, and Mark Jarvis, and the English 8 Ball champ, Brian Saleh.

My email address: bankingwiththebeard@comcast.net

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your prospective coach insists that you call him the "oyster", do yourself a favor and run away like you're being chased by a tornado.

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"pooltchr" or anyone else, please let me on the "oyster" and just send me a "pm". i have a 10 ball tournament tomorrow night, have all his tapes from a friend and was thinking about watching a couple of them this evening. now it sounds as though that is the last thing i should do! email.......ralph@vistacerroazul.com

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I would first get my fundamentals in order, understand the concepts of ball collisions then go from there. Allot of stuff can be purchased and read, but hands on with the basics will cut through allot of wasted years.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bert Kinister has pushed a few to success as well, and the Fusco's in Philly have pool smarts too.

cubc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know a lot of people aren't fond of women pool players compared to men in general, but Kelly Fisher is a phenominal teacher / coach. The way she explains things just makes sense so you not only see the results, but you also understand why. Her shot selection and safety knowledge is solid as well. She charges 75 an hour and does block pricing discounts I believe.

She's worked wonders with some people around charlotte, nc and their game has improved drastically in a short period of time.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
CUBC.
I agree. Of the hundreds of people I have worked with over the years, Kelly's knowledge of patterns and position play is as good as anyone's.
If I wanted to work on strategy, she would be one of the first I would call.

Steve

Last edited:

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Read posts by instructors, get to know them....

hey, im an excellent player, i want to spend 6 months with a good coach. who do u recommend

If I had to pick an instructor on AZ, I would do it based on their posts and reputation here on AZ. Having read a bunch, I have gotten a pretty good idea who would have a good teaching style. All I can say without offending some good ones by leaving them off a list is to say that some of the really good ones have posted on this thread!

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
where do you live?
are you going to go where the coach lives for 6 months if so pm me ill work with you .

If you offer me your resume, including your approx speed, best games, significant matches, main goals, do you gamble, etc.? I would consider you. I have been looking for a good player to tutor, that I could turn into a world beater for quite a while. I have world class knowledge in fundamentals, game strategy, match strategy, gambling strategy, the mental and psychological side of all pool games (except straight pool, my Kyptonite). Specializing in bank pool and one pocket of course.

Freddy the Beard

My email address: bankingwiththebeard@comcast.net

If you really want to become a world class player and you don't take up one of these offers, you should be banned from posting any longer on AZ. If I was single, I would be packing my stuff right now. If I could, I would convince Bartram to come stay at my house for free for six months.

Seriously, if these offers aren't good enough for you, whatever you say after this is lip service.

-Brandon