Best Non-Gambling Player, if one's ever existed

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has there ever existed a non-gambler top player? At least in the last 50 years? Of course from US. I'm sure others around world may not gamble.

Also, if all top players have gambled at some time, which is known to gamble the least.

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also, I am aware that many top players have sponsorships that forbid them from not gambling. If they gambled prior to get their game to that point, they shouldn't be considered

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having lived in Germany and knowing the amount of gambling that takes place there, it's difficult for me to imagine that they did the Germans did not gamble at one time. Is it possible that their sponsor's or the government of Germany keeps them from gambling now that they have reached a time in their life? I've heard that Germany subsidizes their top pool players. And having them associated with gambling would cause questions to any of their losses in tournaments.

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since you said the U.S. I don't think Ralf would qualify.How about a guy named Willie? I would think in the last 50yrs there has been many five and ten dollar players "which i don't consider gambling" that very few have ever heard of that played as good or better than any top known player.

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since you said the U.S. I don't think Ralf would qualify.How about a guy named Willie? I would think in the last 50yrs there has been many five and ten dollar players "which i don't consider gambling" that very few have ever heard of that played as good or better than any top known player.

It would be hard to top that guy, huh?;)

muddawg

Chill Out
Silver Member
He also said "others around world"

And besides, if you're looking for the best, why exclude all other countries?

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
Willie Mosconi, Irving Crane, Joe Balsis, Babe Cranfield. Many others I'm sure.

JamisonNeu

Mr. Masse
Silver Member
Willie Mosconi was against gambling in pool. He was guilty of using his skills to feed his family, but did not like the gamble part of pool at all.

George Fels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The old-timers...

Mosconi gambled, if you can call it that, frequently as a young man; as a champion, nobody wanted any part of him, although he did win one brief but ballyhooed match with 1-P expert Don DuQuoy. Caras also gambled frequently when younger, and had several matchups with Don Willis, which he apparently lost. Crane would accept an occasional wager on a tournament match if he knew the opponent. Balsis wouldn't bet a dime. GF

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
George thanks for your input. It's good to know more about where we came from. Things were different then, from now. At the same time, our past is part of how we still see things today. It is important to hear about the old timers to understand how we got here!

Mosconi gambled, if you can call it that, frequently as a young man; as a champion, nobody wanted any part of him, although he did win one brief but ballyhooed match with 1-P expert Don DuQuoy. Caras also gambled frequently when younger, and had several matchups with Don Willis, which he apparently lost. Crane would accept an occasional wager on a tournament match if he knew the opponent. Balsis wouldn't bet a dime. GF

This is the type of response that I'm interested in hearing. Please use my original post as a beginning and not as an end. You can answer this question the way that you best feel impelled.

Countries? all countries have different norms. Here in US our way of preparing our talents are going to be different than Western Europe, Japan, The Phillipines, South Africa etc.

Please don't limit your thoughts and ideas strictly to my question.

Last edited:

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
I assume of course you refer to Mosconi. While he didn't really like to gamble because he got used to a big paycheck from Brunswick on top of his tournament winnings, he did some gambling. There's a famous story about Fats hounding Willie to gamble playing one-pocket, which Willie never played. He was a exhibition & tournament player and one-pocket fit neither of those descriptions, at least back then. Fats went to Philadelphia and tracked Willie down in his local pool room. He started woofing at Willie, trying to egg him on. Finally Willie agreed to play Fats even one-pocket for $500 a game. Fats was getting staked at the game and after losing 4 straight games he was stuck the $2000 his stakehorse had sent him with. Fats got on the phone and called his stakehorse and told him to wire him another $2000. He said " Listen, I've got him right where I want him, Willie don't know shit from Shinolla about one-pocket. All he does is run 8 & out!"

I've been told that "8 & out is the strongest move in one-pocket" Sound logic!

s'portplayer

Midnight Rambler
Silver Member
I'm sure Earl would have to be included in the discussion.

I think it's widely known, that his Cuetec contract forbade him from gambling.

Although, I'm sure he gambled before and after his tenure with Cuetec, I don't think he is/was considered a big-time action player.

Anyone with more "Earl" knowledge than I have, care to speak up?

Last edited: