Best pool match of all time!

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was in Toledo, Ohio, right after the Glass City Open Tournament, either 1992 or 1993.

Francisco Bustamante had just started coming over to America and playing the tournaments. Johnny Archer, on the other hand, was on top of the World at this point in his career.

Johnny and Francisco discussed gambling and finally decided on a game: race to 13 for $2,500.

Bustamante beat Johnny Archer the first set, 13-8. Johnny is down $2,500 and decides to play Bustamante again. They lag, and Johnny wins the lag. Johnny breaks and runs the first rack. Then, he broke and ran the next rack and then the next rack! Before you know it, the score is 5-0 and Francisco has been able to do nothing but watch. Johnny continues to break and run racks until he has won the set by running 13 racks in a row! Bustamante never made it to the table! Johnny was exhilarated after such a great run and the railbirds were going nuts. Amidst all of the excitement of this 13 rack run, Bustamante slides out of his chair and walks over to the pool table. Certainly he is coming to congratulate Johnny and call it quits after watching Johnny run so many racks.

Instead, Francisco calmly asks Johnny if he wants to double the bet! Double the bet? After watching his opponent run 13 racks, Bustamante wanted to double the bet!

Johnny thought about it but decided to keep the bet at $2,500 for the next set. Johnny lost the next set 13-11 and quit.

I agree, this is untopable, but i thought after Archer ran those 13 in a row(that is truly amazing)Busti returned the favore and run a bunch a racks himself the next set, anyhow it doesnt get no better then this match!

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buddy Hall VS Efren Reyes. In Texas.

Hello Richie,
The best match I can think of is when Buddy Hall stopped Efren Reyes in Texas in a match for 10K. Efren had won the tournament and all kinds of money from all of the good players. Buddy came down from his room and drink coffee for an hour to sober up. They played 10 ball for 10K. Buddy Hall was the only man to beat Efren when he came to the USA for the first time. He was using another name at the time. But it was in fact Efren.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

thelmstetter

Tomcat
Silver Member
I agree, this is untopable, but i thought after Archer ran those 13 in a row(that is truly amazing)Busti returned the favore and run a bunch a racks himself the next set, anyhow it doesnt get no better then this match!

I think Busti did string several racks in the last set... I am thinking it was 5... I am not real sure. I wish I would have kept track of the total number of racks ran... What a great match!

pwmike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best match

The best was a 1pocket match between Cecil Tugwell and Cole Dickson. They ran a total of 7 racks 8 and out. Cecil won because he broke first.Ihis was at Hardtimes in Belleflower CA.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
ONe of the best money games i saw happened in my *local* pool hall in the late 80s. A german guy *Schmitty* (nickname) came to my town. He was a real newcomer in the scene but was already superstrong-especially in moneygames. I had the luck that i knew him already, and he was really pissed when he entred the room with his *stakehorse and friend* and i called him by his name saying hello^^.
I then called up a guy he wanted to play. One of the strongest moneyplayers in germany at that time.
In the evening both started to play 9ball. Iirc a set to 5 for 500bucks.
the local guy was in front--and Schmittly asked him to double the amount of bucks-but the local hero denied.
Then i was on the toilet washing my hands (i racked up for them). And heard Schmitty talking to his stakehorse-- no i will kill this wimp-he denied.
He got back to the table and ran out 3 complete sets in a row- 5:0 5:0 5:0 by makin 6 9balls on the break. Then the opponent unfortunatley stopped playing.
Schmitty really played the most aggressive and best 9b i saw for money. Impressive.

2nd best happened to me personally. I played my best pool ever in a trainingsmatch of straightpool til 1000 points. I lost 1000:428 in 19 innings. Seeing 326, 281 and a 170+ in one match. It was impressive and hurting at same time-playing myself he best i was able to and having not a chance. One i remember exactly was, that i made a 90+ following a 80-proud like hell and my friend answered then from zero making a 326- i missed and he followed with a 170+ .........today i can smile and enjoy it. but at that night i was a bit pissed ^^

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
A while back I asked Pat Flemming (Accu-stats) to send me DVDs of his 10 best matches. Any game, any player, etc. Below is what he sent me, and they're great. My all time favorite, however has got to be TAR SVB v Alex P 10-ball race to 100. Amazing.

A7609DC3-FC8D-4533-8869-C1497AB837D8-2390-00000717B9172CAE.jpg

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Gene was a very good bar table player. Surprisingly when he was at his best, I saw Allen Hopkins beat the hell out of him on a bar table. I don't think anyone really know how good Allen was on a bar table.

Hopkins ego did :)....

Island Drive

Silver Member
Hello Richie,
The best match I can think of is when Buddy Hall stopped Efren Reyes in Texas in a match for 10K. Efren had won the tournament and all kinds of money from all of the good players. Buddy came down from his room and drink coffee for an hour to sober up. They played 10 ball for 10K. Buddy Hall was the only man to beat Efren when he came to the USA for the first time. He was using another name at the time. But it was in fact Efren.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Medina took a shot at effie then, and got bar bee cued....

Island Drive

Silver Member
It was in Toledo, Ohio, right after the Glass City Open Tournament, either 1992 or 1993.

Francisco Bustamante had just started coming over to America and playing the tournaments. Johnny Archer, on the other hand, was on top of the World at this point in his career.

Johnny and Francisco discussed gambling and finally decided on a game: race to 13 for $2,500.

Bustamante beat Johnny Archer the first set, 13-8. Johnny is down $2,500 and decides to play Bustamante again. They lag, and Johnny wins the lag. Johnny breaks and runs the first rack. Then, he broke and ran the next rack and then the next rack! Before you know it, the score is 5-0 and Francisco has been able to do nothing but watch. Johnny continues to break and run racks until he has won the set by running 13 racks in a row! Bustamante never made it to the table! Johnny was exhilarated after such a great run and the railbirds were going nuts. Amidst all of the excitement of this 13 rack run, Bustamante slides out of his chair and walks over to the pool table. Certainly he is coming to congratulate Johnny and call it quits after watching Johnny run so many racks.

Instead, Francisco calmly asks Johnny if he wants to double the bet! Double the bet? After watching his opponent run 13 racks, Bustamante wanted to double the bet!

Johnny thought about it but decided to keep the bet at $2,500 for the next set. Johnny lost the next set 13-11 and quit.

Johnny is smart and well aware of ''blowin' you wad'' in one set. Busty was waaaaaaaaaaay more rested/obviously and shoulda just bumped it up another $500 but got greedy.

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best was a 1pocket match between Cecil Tugwell and Cole Dickson. They ran a total of 7 racks 8 and out. Cecil won because he broke first.Ihis was at Hardtimes in Belleflower CA.

I played in that tournament and watched that match. I doubt there was more than a couple safeties played the whole time.

Ronny Allen , a fast player himself, was playing on the table next to them and his match was into the second game when Cecil won.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
The Color of Money 96 is just insane 9 Ball from start to finish and one of the best comebacks in pool, IMO. Earl put up two four packs at one point in the course of an hour, if i remember correctly. Efren's comeback is just disgusting pool.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Medina took a shot at effie then, and got bar bee cued....

How have you been doing Island Drive?
Efren beat all comers except Buddy Hall. And won the big event. Every one knew who Efren was after that session. And they already knew who Buddy Hall was.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Best pool match I've ever seen was the final of the WPC nine ball (2004?), a race to seventeen, in which Wu Chia Ching came to the table down 16-12 to Po Cheng Kuo and ran five racks and out to capture the World nine ball championship. I saw it on stream and it was surely one of the greatest clutch performances in pool history.

I suspect if I'd seen it, I'd put the Efren vs Earl Color of Money match above it, but I missed that one.

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
Best pool match I've ever seen was the final of the WPC nine ball (2004?), a race to seventeen, in which Wu Chia Ching came to the table down 16-12 to Po Cheng Kuo and ran five racks and out to capture the World nine ball championship. I saw it on stream and it was surely one of the greatest clutch performances in pool history.

I suspect if I'd seen it, I'd put the Efren vs Earl Color of Money match above it, but I missed that one.

No reason to miss it, it's on video.

Island Drive

Silver Member
Two others come to mind, with both giving me the goosebumps. When Tommy Kennedy DRILLED Archer in the finals of the US Open 9 ball....Plus when Earl put the ten pack for a MiL Against Nick ? Mannino, who was George Breedloves best man when he married J. Lee/Black Widow.

Masirib5

Klaatu barada nikto
Silver Member
The Color of Money 96 is just insane 9 Ball from start to finish and one of the best comebacks in pool, IMO. Earl put up two four packs at one point in the course of an hour, if i remember correctly. Efren's comeback is just disgusting pool.

"disgusting"???? Does that mean good or not so good?

--Jeff