Billiards in the Olympics instead of

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
So how about skiing or ice skating where the opponents don’t interact but gosh, how much more athleticism can
there be than in singles competition for both sports……just you versus the mountain or the ice……no opponent.
There is zero direct interaction of opponents with the aforementioned but both are indisputably actual real sports.
..again, by my personal definition, not sports. Requiring athleticism, does not alter the reality of the activity.

For another example. Take motocross racing. Easily one of the most athletic activities on the planet, (and no I don't take part).
Dirt bike trick riding = 'not' sport.
Dirt bike racing = sport.

At least downhill skiing has the element of 'best time' contest. Whereas ice skating (dancing) comes down to how thick an envelope you handed the judges.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Guarantee'd U.S. Gold's: meth cooking, texting, artistic road-rage, team butt-hurt whining and binge-watching. Look for these and probably others in the O's soon. ;)
Japan and China would destroy the US in texting, unless you mean while driving.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

brigeton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
..again, by my personal definition, not sports. Requiring athleticism, does not alter the reality of the activity.

For another example. Take motocross racing. Easily one of the most athletic activities on the planet, (and no I don't take part).
Dirt bike trick riding = 'not' sport.
Dirt bike racing = sport.

At least downhill skiing has the element of 'best time' contest. Whereas ice skating (dancing) comes down to how thick an envelope you handed the judges.
I always thought skiing would be a lot more entertaining if all the skiers went at once. One at a time against the clock is like Nascar qualifying.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
If there were Ever to be a slate surface in the Olympics, it should first be Snooker.
The European men and women over the pond, know how to act, and Luke Riches had everything to do with it.
If Matchroom is able to create something with the roaming Cats of American pool.........then.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any "sport" in which the participant aren't athletes shouldn't be in the olympics. That includes pool. A good rule of thumb is if you can do it while smoking a cigarette then it's not a sport.

Island Drive

Silver Member
Many of the pros work out, Thorsten, SVB, Mika and on and on.
To play at a high level one Must exercise to suit the needs of that sport.
Losing because of fatigue is NOT in the wheelhouse of top players.
Looking at Scott Frost at Bogies, if he was 40 lbs lighter, worked out, didn't smoke Cigarettes...and eat Fatty fried foods, The Finals....would of been a different match.
Fatigue will cause sooooooooooo many errors.
Often it takes just ONE error in top end play to make a difference.

chenjy9

Many of the pros work out, Thorsten, SVB, Mika and on and on.
To play at a high level one Must exercise to suit the needs of that sport.
Losing because of fatigue is NOT in the wheelhouse of top players.
Looking at Scott Frost at Bogies, if he was 40 lbs lighter, worked out, didn't smoke Cigarettes...and eat Fatty fried foods, The Finals....would of been a different match.
Fatigue will cause sooooooooooo many errors.
Often it takes just ONE error in top end play to make a difference.

Thing is, you can say that about anything in life that you have to spend long durations on. The main thing for me is that outside of breaking, there is minimal physical activity in pool.

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool and Billiards is in the SEAG (South East Asian Games). Essentially the olympics but for South East Asian countries. Pool and Billiards belongs but it does have to replace a game/sport already on the list of events. I think the biggest issue is that there is no recognized governing body to lobby for inclusion.

Island Drive

Silver Member
Thing is, you can say that about anything in life that you have to spend long durations on. The main thing for me is that outside of breaking, there is minimal physical activity in pool.
If your NOT in shape, and you come from the losers side and win, you HAVE to be in shape.
It takes an incredible amount of mental fortitude to NOT lose focus, and your mind wears the body down.
If you've never been in Olympic or pro sports then I can understand this thought process.
Thorstn Hollman is a perfect example.
They thought the same way about golf at one time.

If you want to argue, then I'm outta here.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys are going to love 2024, when break-dancing will be added to the Olympic line-up.

And my bold prediction is that pickleball, which has a pro tour and whose US Open was shown on CBSSports (you can watch it on YouTube - it is actually a very interesting tactical game, played at the top level) will be coming in long before billiards is.

Cuedup

The physicality of top break dance artist is amazing. I'd watch it before I'd watch pool and I love pool.

chenjy9

If your NOT in shape, and you come from the losers side and win, you HAVE to be in shape.
It takes an incredible amount of mental fortitude to NOT lose focus, and your mind wears the body down.
If you've never been in Olympic or pro sports then I can understand this thought process.
Thorstn Hollman is a perfect example.
They thought the same way about golf at one time.

If you want to argue, then I'm outta here.

I don't disagree at all, just saying you can say the same thing for any and all types of competition regardless of it is a sport or not.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pool and Billiards is in the SEAG (South East Asian Games). Essentially the olympics but for South East Asian countries. Pool and Billiards belongs but it does have to replace a game/sport already on the list of events. I think the biggest issue is that there is no recognized governing body to lobby for inclusion.
WCBS, recognized by the IOC.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Cue sports (billiards, snooker & pool, as these three are in the World Games) promoted by WCBS as Bob J. mentioned are actually recognized as Olympic sports. Yet not being part of the official program. For about 16 years or so the IOC holds a position that the Olympics can not be extended with no limits. Meaning in order to include any kind of a sport discipline in the Olympic Games, one or more should be kicked out. Like it or not, looks like cue sports will never be there. Best we can live with is World Games, even though this trophy is not as coveted as winning the World championship.

gerryf

In the 2017 World Games (the year following the 2016 Olympics)

2017 Summer Games in Wroclaw, Poland

Pool, Men's (9-ball)
Gold: Carlo Biado PHI​
Silver: Jasyon Shaw GBR​
Bronze: Naoyuki OI, JPN​

(USA Team was Brandon Shuff and Shaun Wilke)​

Pool, Women's (9-ball)
Gold: Siming Chen, CHN​
Silver: Gaoyung Kim, KOR​
Bronze: Yu Han, CHN​
(USA Team was Monica Webb and Jennifer Baretta)​

Snooker
Gold: Kyren Wilson, GBR​
Silver: Ali Carter, GBR​
Bronze: Soheil Vahedi, IIR​
(No USA team)​

Carom
Gold: Daniel Sanches, ESP​
Silver Marco Zanettie, ITA​
Bronze: Sameh Sidhom, EGY​
(USA team was Pedro Pedrabuena and Hugo Patino)​
The next world games are in 2022, in Brimingham Alabama

How about a fundraiser to have an Team USA in Snooker??

Or let the two finalists in the US Snooker Championships compete? In 2019, it was held in Houston, and the finalists were Ahmed Aly Elsayed and Cheang Ciing Yoo

Last edited:

gerryf

The US National Snooker Championships Finalists. Notice Corey Deuel in there!

Finalists​

RankNameWinnerRunner-upFinals
Ahmed Aly Elsayed​
Tom Kollins​
Sargon Isaac​
George Lai​
Ajeya Prabhakar​
David Yao​
Raymond Fung​
Kenny Kwok​
Tang Hoa​
Peter Ong​
Paul Kimura​
Jack Kung​

jshaw

Registered
Billiards would be a miserable failure as an Olympic sport. They would never put it on TV and if they did nobody would watch it.