Billy Incardona - Short Rant

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Should Billy know their names, yes. Should he know the format, yes.
Was the ping pong comment stupid yes but even with all that Billy is a good
commentator and can be quite funny at times. I enjoy it when Billy's in the booth.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
Should Billy know their names, yes. Should he know the format, yes.
Was the ping pong comment stupid yes but even with all that Billy is a good
commentator and can be quite funny at times. I enjoy it when Billy's in the booth.

Yeah, I agree. I don't think anyone is calling Billy a racist. The sports world is full of examples of people making racial slurs that don't have a racist bone in their body. The comment was unfortunate and everyone should just move along. The fact is, Billy was stepping into the booth to do commentary and was definitely not prepared. So, he was unprofessional.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Yep, I like Billy I in the box more then most but that type of comment is completely uncalled for. I am not offended by it (although I am not Asian either) but it simply looks the sport look amateurish and classless to have that type of thing in the commentary in a "high" profile pool event such as CSI is trying to produce.

I will also say, in the last match the announcers had no clue about the scores of the prior matches and were thus unable to figure out the 3-way tiebreakers. How about spending a little less time trying to guess the next shot and keeping track of the scores on both tables and writing them down so that in future matches later in the event you actually know the prior matches scores and can actually figure this stuff out? You are being paid to be there and work, take the 2 seconds to mark down the scores and keep track of them.

The lack of professionalism in this broadcast is so clearly apparent. I cannot believe the people at CSI are seeing this go off and letting it go as if it is acceptable. If I were in charge there someone would have been getting the announcers the prior match scores ASAP and I would be asking why they did not already have them to begin with.

Last edited:

tduncan

Bet something...
Silver Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajE9FvI0xuA

Billy I is as professional as they come. Here he is on ESPN 25 years ago. This stream is not set up for proessionalism...commentary wise.

In every other aspect it is. Quality of feed, quality of talent, attire of players, format, just not commentary. Only thing it is missing.

tduncan

Bet something...
Silver Member
Yep, I like Billy I in the box more then most but that type of comment is completely uncalled for.

I will also say, in the last match the announcers had no clue about the scores of the prior matches and were thus unable to figure out the 3-way tiebreakers. How about spending a little less time trying to guess the next shot and keeping track of the scores on both tables and writing them down so that in future matches later in the event you actually know the prior matches scores and can actually figure this stuff out? You are being paid to be there and work, take the 2 seconds to mark down the scores and keep track of them.

The lack of professionalism in this broadcast is so clearly apparent. I cannot believe the people at CSI are seeing this go off and letting it go as if it is acceptable. If I were in charge there someone would have been getting the announcers the prior match scores ASAP and I would be asking why they did not already have them to begin with.

Couldn't agree more!

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
Consistency

At the end of last nights matches Billy Incardona said something that has been bugging me this morning. He couldn't figure out how to say the Ko brothers names so he called one of them "Ping Pong." Of course he quickly tried to cover it up by saying he was just joking. Joking or not I feel it was in very poor taste and unacceptable. Here we have Team CSI trying to provide great names from across the world and the commentators can't even take the time to learn their names. It's bad enough that they don't have an understanding of the tournament format. End rant.

the commentary was consistent....

- Billy calling one of the Ko brothers "ping pong"
- Bobby referring to Ko Pin Yi as "Kung Pao"
- having to hear about Bobby's deceased ex wife or his accident that left him in a body cast
- hearing about the 2:1 odds that bobby got on Ko Pin Yi over SVB
- hearing bobby discuss who he is betting on
- hearing bobby clearly rooting for a guy based on his action
- hearing about what kind of sandwiches guys want for dinner
- hearing guys burp in the booth
- the occasional curse word

Then of course there's the inexplicable ignorance about the people and tournament on which they're commentating.
- not knowing the tournament format
- not knowing the rules under which the games are being played
- not knowing anything about several of the players
- discussing the price of the PPV
- not knowing or communicating the scores and standings of unaired matches.

Finally, commentators need to know that they are not the attraction...the match, the tournament, and the players are.

I thought Ken was professional perhaps a bit verbose. Billy was knowledgeable and usually but not always professional. I found robert to be neither professional, entertaining, nor informative.

If I knew in advance that robert was announcing, I would probably not buy the ppv.

Last edited:

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Yep, I like Billy I in the box more then most but that type of comment is completely uncalled for. I am not offended by it (although I am not Asian either) but it simply looks the sport look amateurish and classless to have that type of thing in the commentary in a "high" profile pool event such as CSI is trying to produce.

This format is causing some problems with the commentators and everyone else keeping things straight. We are working to fix them for the 8 ball. Its down to single elim now so all the "He can advance if two other guys tie and one falls down and hurts their toe on Tuesday before 5PM" is over with.

As to all the commentator hate...it is what it is. I have yet to see a stream where someone somewhere didnt get a case of the ass over some commentator.

We will try to do a better job of getting the scores and standings sorted out in a coherent manner for the commentators to pass on.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
.Billy called me "Table Tennis" one time and I'm still not over it!!!

I completely agree.....Billy called me "Table Tennis" one time and I'm still not over it!!!
242074605-S-1.jpg

Meanwhile Billy Incardona is a heck of a guy, and does his best for Accu-Stats and pool in general.....I agree that commentators could be better linguistically, however, we're lucky to have what we got, and Billy is by far one of the best.

At the end of last nights matches Billy Incardona said something that has been bugging me this morning. He couldn't figure out how to say the Ko brothers names so he called one of them "Ping Pong." Of course he quickly tried to cover it up by saying he was just joking. Joking or not I feel it was in very poor taste and unacceptable. Here we have Team CSI trying to provide great names from across the world and the commentators can't even take the time to learn their names. It's bad enough that they don't have an understanding of the tournament format. End rant.

Last edited:

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
As to all the commentator hate...it is what it is. I have yet to see a stream where someone somewhere didnt get a case of the ass over some commentator

Justin,

Instead of taking these opinions as "commentator hate", why not treat them as potentially valuable customer feedback that you and CSI can utilize to produce a better product?

Meanwhile Billy Incardona is a heck of a guy, and does his best for Accu-Stats and pool in general.....I agree that commentators could be better linguistically, however, we're lucky to have what we got, and Billy is by far one of the best.

I'm sure you could not have said it better.

ONB

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Stop ****ing with Justin for **** sake

Justin,

Instead of taking these opinions as "commentator hate", why not treat them as potentially valuable customer feedback that you and CSI can utilize to produce a better product?

I've been thinking that for a while myself but then people say that incardona and dileberto who sings songs from the 1930's on stream are the best commentators around.

Maybe there just aren't any younger guys interested in doing commentary? :shrug:

DiLiberto approached, caught and passed senility several years ago.

Incardona has the biggest ego in pool history and is so full of himself that he does indeed believe he is the attraction.

Grady was a poor commentator also, who constantly used 10 syllable words when a 2 syllable word would suffice. Everyone loved it except those who saw through it.

ONB

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Also, it should be noted that this is insider commentary for a cult following. It's not like this is the Olympics or the NBA.. Oh wait, the NBA has Sir Charles. Sir Billy is the Charles Barkley of pool...

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Justin,

There are several threads that have Billy I as the best commentator in the game. For every person that says Ken or Bobby sucks there is one who says they are great. What would you do? Who would you listen to?

The valid criticism I have seen is that the commentators are not getting out the info on standings and match implications that are needed in this format. We are working on that for the 8 ball.

If a commentator says something dumb that happens. It happens with guys who are paid millions to talk into a mic. I have never understood the idea that pool streams being watched by a few hundred people and produced on a budget equal to that of a low end used car are held to standards of network television. Yet some people love to rail on how on how guys making less than the dude who serves them their coffee at Starbucks is an unprofessional hack who is killing the magnificent game of pool.

Can't expect too much out of some commentators that are mostly in their late 70's and were raised in a time of high racism.

Some of these old timers probably think that the Ko's grandfather was responsible for pearl harbor because they're asian.

I don't know if you realize it or not but we have all been raised in a "time of high racism", we just try to hide it better now.

I don't know if this is relevant but Incardona had and may still have a black girlfriend.

I'm guessing he made an "off the cuff" stupid comment and he probably regrets it or will when he sees this thread.

ONB

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
There are several threads that have Billy I as the best commentator in the game. For every person that says Ken or Bobby sucks there is one who says they are great. What would you do? Who would you listen to?

Billy I made a bad comment, he is still one of the best.

What would I do? Get Billy I into the booth, and beg borrow and steal (mostly beg) Joe Rogan to join as the color commentator to Billy I's knowledge based commentary as the perfect one two punch of commentating perfection.

And compared to Ken and Bob one guy that is a solid commentator that KNOWS less is more is... you. You speak just about the perfect amount and at the right times and you know the game well enough to know what you are talking about. You and Joe in the booth would probably also be great, not quite as much knowledge as having Billy there but the amount of comments would be right and both of you have the right presence on the mic.