Bonus Ball - Are you giving it the time of day?

Benward452

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So Bonus Ball starts in 9 days.

Is anyone actually excited about this new venture in billiards?

There has been very little talk about the game itself from the producers, the fans, or the billiard media. It has not been showcased at any of the major tournaments I am aware of. Is it going to sink or swim?

Are you going to give this venture a chance? What do you need to see from it to make you interested?

I for one, am interested to see the final product. Nathan and his crew, RunOutMedia, have produced some high quality technologically advanced billiard productions. Bonus Ball has a lot of high quality stars in their line-up. The game is offensive and I feel we will see a lot of creativity from the players.

I may not be optimistic about the future of the game, but I for one am giving it chance. This is not because I am a "support anything pool" person, but I feel they will have a good product and some amazing pool will be played.

Ben
I would say something about keeping the bashing to a minimum, but I know better.

Hardtobeat

Registered
Since there is a lot of league play all over the country. Bonus ball should have a fairly large audience to watch professional's in this new format. I hope it works, I will be watching.

RobertaAgnor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I definitely plan on checking it out, I like the matches I've watched so far & I will support anything that helps my friends.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
As a fan of the game, I'm going to give it a shot and check out some of the earliest matches. Am I excited about it? No, but I wish all associated with the WPBL project well.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope it works out.

I watched a little of one of the matches, its going to tale a while before I get it, but I hope it does well, we need anything and everything we can get to help the sport grow.

I am very disappointed with ESPN, it just seems like this is a sport the should support.

incognito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think bonus ball has some potential as a very watchable and entertaining spectator sport. I've watched a few matches, and it's generally very offensive oriented. It needs a few rule changes before it can be successful. The break is way too big of an advantage. The races are way too short, to name a few.

1 Lone Wolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am interested

I thought about the team format years ago, I always thought large cities could form teams built around their top players. I had the vision that league players and fans would come out and support the players they know. I, For one, believe that Bonus Ball is the chance in my lifetime that Pro Pool has an opportunity is has never had.
I hope that the hard work by everyone involved, The organizers, Sponsors, Future sponsors and the players.
I know a lot of you players and this is your time to shine. Good Luck and play hard, I
don't even know the rules yet. But I am excited to learn. I hope a lot of the league players in town stop and check it out.
Gary Lutman

BarneyCalip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ESPN will never trust Pool Players Again

ESPN got burned when Earl Strickland refused to play Corey Duel in the Finals of Camel Pro Tour.

Then their was he Dump by the players and Buddy Hall in the International Challenge of Champions.

No way is ESPN going to get burned again.
There are too many Honest Sports to Televise.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ESPN wants honesty???

If thats what they say, their full of SH_T!!!!!

Lets see, Baseball..., steroids!!
Football...., steroids!!
Cycling...., steroids!!
Poker..., you name it!!

These sports are full of guys that use durgs, DWI, DUI, domestic abuse, the list is endless and I have seen guys walk out of matches in lots of sports.

Pool is not clean, but it aint got nothing more than a perception problem caused for the most part by the players

1 Lone Wolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ESPN got burned when Earl Strickland refused to play Corey Duel in the Finals of Camel Pro Tour.

Then their was he Dump by the players and Buddy Hall in the International Challenge of Champions.

No way is ESPN going to get burned again.
There are too many Honest Sports to Televise.

ESPN wants ratings, Vegas got burned.

1 Lone Wolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If thats what they say, their full of SH_T!!!!!

Lets see, Baseball..., steroids!!
Football...., steroids!!
Cycling...., steroids!!
Poker..., you name it!!

These sports are full of guys that use durgs, DWI, DUI, domestic abuse, the list is endless and I have seen guys walk out of matches in lots of sports.

Pool is not clean, but it aint got nothing more than a perception problem caused for the most part by the players

So true ..............

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
There was actually quite a bit of talk from the producers and fans, but it dried up because of the multiple false starts causing huge delays. And also because one of the primary cheerleaders for bonus ball was not very good at what he did and frequently got into arguments and eventually got banned.

If bonus ball had started at the height of the forum drama surrounding it, I think that might have actually helped their numbers. But instead it's starting after all the fuss has died down. Hard to imagine any excitement about it anymore. More like morbid curiosity.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm looking forward to checking it out. I'm not "excited" per say, but it has been in the back of my mind. I watched all the available matches a few months ago. I really like that the game has some excitement to it (to me). If they figured out how to make it even more exciting than the preview matches, they might have a shot. I'm as big a pool nut as the rest of us here, and I routinely fall asleep or just turn off dvd's or streams cause I get bored. If they find a way to fix that, pool might have a chance with an "audience" which it has almost none of today.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I've checked out some BB matches and understand it. Even though I think it's too easy for top pros I'll give it a try for a week or two. Johnnyt

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
This is something that bothers me about Bonus Ball, they are paying out over a million and if I wasn't here reading AZB forums or involved in the poo; industry I would have no clue what Bonus Ball is or who was playing or when it was going to start. Where is the marketing and positive buzz from the management at Bonus ball?
I think the first weekend they will get alot of people from here watch just to see what the production looks like. Runout Media have always done a great quality job with their projects and so I imagine this will be no different. Alot of things can go wrong on the technical side so these guys will need to be on their toes and prepared.
I wish all involved good luck but really am confused on the lack of marketing.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is something that bothers me about Bonus Ball, they are paying out over a million and if I wasn't here reading AZB forums or involved in the poo; industry I would have no clue what Bonus Ball is or who was playing or when it was going to start. Where is the marketing and positive buzz from the management at Bonus ball?
I think the first weekend they will get alot of people from here watch just to see what the production looks like. Runout Media have always done a great quality job with their projects and so I imagine this will be no different. Alot of things can go wrong on the technical side so these guys will need to be on their toes and prepared.
I wish all involved good luck but really am confused on the lack of marketing.

its called "soft" opening, until you have your shit together like Starbucks or Mcdonalds when you start up something new you dont go full blast(there are exceptions-like what you have done with Ja, Earl, Nick etc). IMO Larry has it right, he got rid of Barry, has Nathan & Co there(who know what they are doing) players are coming in a week and playing matches, after the first few weeks I think they will iron out what ever problems pop up and then start marketing. shooting your wad on marketing before you are up and running isnt prudent. Unless your Starbucks and KNOW exactly what to expect because you have 15,000 stores open worldwide and can copycat the formula.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are they going to give us the old bait and switch to get us interested like some of the tours have done. Giving free stream before yanking that plug and inserting fees claiming its going towards payouts. LMFAO

I won't pay to watch pool it's just not that entertaining especially since I can go in you tube and watch all I need to see for free