centennial balls or aramith tournament

magicrat69210

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a free set of balls coming through my pool league. since cost isnt a factor what do yall think. leaning toward centennials cuz they are proven over time. have heard good things mostly about tournament aramiths though. will be using at home on 9 footer with simonis. been using old cheap off brand balls with no finish whatsoever. good for practicing shot making though. thanks guys

nancewayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Balls

The Aramith Tournament ball set IS the best available! Since the makeup of the balls is a finer Phenolic Resin, the finish on the balls is shiner and consequently, the chalk does NOT stick to the cue ball! (to my knowledge, this "shiner" does NOT affect the play other than the balls rolling further on the table.
F.Y.I.

I got a free set of balls coming through my pool league. since cost isnt a factor what do yall think. leaning toward centennials cuz they are proven over time. have heard good things mostly about tournament aramiths though. will be using at home on 9 footer with simonis. been using old cheap off brand balls with no finish whatsoever. good for practicing shot making though. thanks guys

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
This is a easy answer! 90% of tournaments are played with arimith at the us open, derby & etc.

If you plan to play in those at some point. Then you want to practice with the same Equipement used!!!!

If your local pool room is using centinnials and that's what you encounter when you are seriously playing then go with the centinnials.

Your choose should be based on your goals and simulated competitive conditions.

Kd

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Zbotiman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The same ball?

The Centennials and Super pro's are both made by Saluc now. For my 2 cents worth, the Centennial T.V. balls are the "best lookers!" I have all four sets, Super pro's and Centennials, T.V. and regular, these sets virtually play the same. So pick the set you like the looks of, they'll be on your table for a long time, for years and years of enjoyment! ;)

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Centennials and Super pro's are both made by Saluc now. For my 2 cents worth, the Centennial T.V. balls are the "best lookers!" I have all four sets, Super pro's and Centennials, T.V. and regular, these sets virtually play the same. So pick the set you like the looks of, they'll be on your table for a long time, for years and years of enjoyment! ;)

This is very good advice -- if the phenolic formula is the same, pick the look you like. If you like the traditional "dart" look (with numbering in the white of the striped balls, rather than in the stripe itself), you'll want the Centennials.

However, Wayne brings up a good point about the Aramith Tournament set -- those use a different formula and slightly different manufacturing process, to guarantee their tighter tolerances. The Aramith Super Pros are nice, but the Tournament set is indeed better. There's a reason for the higher price.

I have a set of the IPT balls (purchased when the IPT was in full force in 2006), and those are actually an OEMed/relabeled Tournament set. They rack perfectly everytime with a Delta-13 rack -- no balls spin.

-Sean

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No bad choice

If you are a action guy, you might want to consider what set you see being played with the most in you area. It might help to get the same look as often as you can in practice and in action.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a set of SUper Pros, when these are no longer servicible (sometime next year) I will go with Tournaments.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have both. I enjoy both. The Aramith's stay cleaner longer....but that is not a + or - .

Zbotiman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Cool thought, but........"

This is very good advice -- if the phenolic formula is the same, pick the look you like. If you like the traditional "dart" look (with numbering in the white of the striped balls, rather than in the stripe itself), you'll want the Centennials.

However, Wayne brings up a good point about the Aramith Tournament set -- those use a different formula and slightly different manufacturing process, to guarantee their tighter tolerances. The Aramith Super Pros are nice, but the Tournament set is indeed better. There's a reason for the higher price.

I have a set of the IPT balls (purchased when the IPT was in full force in 2006), and those are actually an OEMed/relabeled Tournament set. They rack perfectly everytime with a Delta-13 rack -- no balls spin.

-Sean

Good thoughts about the Tour editions credentials and all, but........for some reason, I really "DIG" the balance and f-e-e-l of the Super Aramith Pro's, a lot better. The Centennials feel just the same to me.

I'm really not a fan of the tour edition balls. I don't favor the numbers being smaller, either. I know there a quite a few better tolerances to heat and durability and all, "but how good do those particular benefits have to be, for a set of balls to feel super and stay fresh acting for a "zillion shots?" The quality of the Centennials and the "Supers," is incredible, they'll last your lifetime and then some if you take care of them and keep them clean!
:smilewinkgrin:

rich337

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really, really like the Centennials.

i have a set and i checked the weight on all the balls and i found a few that where like 6 grams different then i also have a set of the Super Aramith Pro-Cup TV Pool Balls and they are all with in 1 gram of each other in weight so i would go with the aramith

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a set of SUper Pros, when these are no longer servicible (sometime next year) I will go with Tournaments.

what makes them no longer servicable,,,,,,I have a set of Centenials that I've been using for over 15 years and other than some yellowing from age they are still perfect. I can check them with micrometers, several readings on every ball, all the balls, including the original blue dot that came with them and there is less than .001" difference in them. Just wondering what there is that can go wrong with them.

matcase

Blondie's #1 fan
Silver Member
gottem both, i love my centenials, but I give the nod to the tournements. Ya can't go wrong.

Lumocolor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get the most expensive set for free and then buy the cheaper one yourself if you want those...lol

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was always told that super aramiths and centennials are the exact same ball. same material made to the exact same specifications. The centennials are just made to look a little like the old fashioned classic style I guess you could say.I have both and I can't tell the difference but I prefer the centennials just because of the way they look...but they all play the same.

Pangit

Banned
I was always told that super aramiths and centennials are the exact same ball. same material made to the exact same specifications. The centennials are just made to look a little like the old fashioned classic style I guess you could say.I have both and I can't tell the difference but I prefer the centennials just because of the way they look...but they all play the same.

I like Centennials better. I'm Color blind. I often times "foul" with the 3/7 in 10 ball...focused..need to remember to look at the number on the ball. .BS The pink has been a HUGE help to us color blind folks. Still can't tell the difference between the two and four in a standard set of balls...amongst other things.

Let's make it "color" neutral, just put a number on the ball.

thefonz

It's not me...it's my ADD
Silver Member
even better

forget centenials or pro aramith, how about the old ESPN Challenge of Champions Elephant Balls.....lol remember those? i think the first time i played with them i shot the wrong ball three times.:p:p

nancewayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Sean for agreeing about the "Tournament" balls being the best quality (and highest priced). I disagree about the IPT ball set however. I bought a box of 5 new sets of IPT balls when they were being liquidated (I still have a couple new sets available to sell).. The design of the Tournament balls probably was copied from the IPT balls design (and definitely the same high quality fine phenolic resin), but if you look closely at both the Tournament balls and the IPT balls, there IS a difference both in size of the markings AND color of some of the balls. F.Y.I.

-Sean