Cole Dickson at the DCC

Mr441

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed Cole Dickson finished 22nd in the 9 ball at DCC. I didn't even know he still played. Does anyone who was there know how he played? What's his speed nowadays? Does he still play that fearless style of play?

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I noticed Cole Dickson finished 22nd in the 9 ball at DCC. I didn't even know he still played. Does anyone who was there know how he played? What's his speed nowadays? Does he still play that fearless style of play?

I'd say he still hits 'em pretty good if he finished 22nd.

Josh Palmer

I'll take the 6 :)
Silver Member
He was a pleasure to be around and talk to. He was using a cue that a friend of his built for someone else, and didn't like it very much because it didn't suit his style of play. He still has that sick slip stroke that, when it's working, is awesome. In between shooting a super sick kill shot by the foot rail from the other end of the table, he would come over and give me a little tidbit, or story... shoot a couple more and then tell another one. When he started to get into stroke, he exuded the confidence that a champion posesses..

He was shooting a cut shot that looks impossible, but couldn't make it and was getting visibly upset... Freddy, on the adjacent table says "You're getting old Cole, you got to quit shooting shots like that.."

Cole is mumbling about never practicing in his life and only playing for money.... says "Yeah?" "Sweat it... Bet 50.00" Guy in the chair watching says "bet".... Cole:"bet"... Gets down and addresses the ball in a powerful way with those strokes that look like the tip is on the cue ball, and cuts the shot like butter... Prettiest shot you ever saw.

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member
It was great seeing Cole there. I had heard he was there from a friend and then the next day I turned on Accustats and it just so happened, they were right at the introductions for the next game of one pocket.

Lo and behold, they're introducing Cole and Rudolfo Luat. Cole had a pretty rough time at the one pocket. He couldn't keep his cueball under control. You could see him trying to execute shots he probably thought he could execute, but the cueball would drift a bit off track and he would sell out.

He shot 2 shots that reminded me of the old Cole. They were 2 straight backs very close to the rail. He wound up and FIRED them in. Those are hard shots and he shot them with total confidence. Made them both.

Great hearing he did so well at 9 ball. That game at least allowed him to let his stroke out a bit.

After he was done with his one pocket match, the announcer went over to ask him if he would say a few words, and he was pretty upset and said he was shaking so bad... the pressure of getting on the TV table after all these years, really took it's toll. With a 22nd place finish with the best players in the world, he can walk away feeling pretty proud of himself. All the magic, is not gone!

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched Cole play one pocket. Super nice guy to talk to and he told me he was just made a grandpa!

Playing one match, he broke and made a ball and then made 4 more balls after befeore the guy behind me asked. "Who is this old SOB?", I replied that is was Cole Dickson and the guy just shook his head.

Harry Platis brought a Sports Illistrated reporter up to talk to Cole, and the photographers took about 100 shots of him.

I think he was enjoying himself, I guess whenever you can draw a crowd like Cole did it was fun. I was going to pass this along to JAM to have Keith to come but her mail is out.

It would be great to see those old dogs play.

Ken

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cole finished 22nd when he is a mere shadow of his old self. If only you could have seen him play in his prime thirty years ago. The Cole of the 70's would still be a force to be reckoned with, even today! ;)

mbvl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cole finished 22nd when he is a mere shadow of his old self. If only you could have seen him play in his prime thirty years ago. The Cole of the 70's would still be a force to be reckoned with, even today! ;)

Jay,

I'm from Northern California and I got to see Cole a lot thirty years ago. What I think of as his signature shot was twice up and down the table -- foot cushion, head cushion, and into his pocket. He would nail those at warp speed.

Mark

Bended Cue

Registered
i did not know who cole dickson is and i had the oppurtunity to play him at McQs billiards and spokane,Washington. He played a very good game. no doubt about it and I got beat pretty good. does he still leave around eastern washington?

Mr441

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm glad he can still play. What is he now, about 60?

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
last time I saw Cole was in 85 was shocked to see him there. We talked a few times, same guy 25 years later. I sure hope he comes to more tournments, I like him.

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
when was this?

i did not know who cole dickson is and i had the oppurtunity to play him at McQs billiards and spokane,Washington. He played a very good game. no doubt about it and I got beat pretty good. does he still leave around eastern washington?

??????????????

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was shooting a cut shot that looks impossible, but couldn't make it and was getting visibly upset... Freddy, on the adjacent table says "You're getting old Cole, you got to quit shooting shots like that.."

Cole is mumbling about never practicing in his life and only playing for money.... says "Yeah?" "Sweat it... Bet 50.00" Guy in the chair watching says "bet".... Cole:"bet"... Gets down and addresses the ball in a powerful way with those strokes that look like the tip is on the cue ball, and cuts the shot like butter... Prettiest shot you ever saw.

I remember many veteran players calling him "Cole Cut" Dickson for his ability to cut shots with extreme accuracy.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Hell... I thought he was daid and there he was on Accu-Stats. :groucho: JimS.... happy to see the geezers doin there thing!!

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
I was fortunate enough to spend a half hour conversing with Cole (many thanks to Grady Mathews for the introduction). Definitely the high point of my week at DCC. Cole impressed me with his humility and attitude. It doesn't sound like he has played any serious pool for a LONG time; but that he has his priorities in life straightened out. He has cleaned up his life, and seems quite sincere about keeping it so.

He was quite unimpressed with his own one-pocket knowledge, and expressed great admiration for the skills and knowledge of the old masters like Grady and Danny. Even at that, he still almost beat Luat in the one-pocket event. It is quite obvious that with a little practice he could be a force.

Two of the most knowledgeable pool observers in the world, both agreed that in his youth he played "equal to the young Earl Strickland." Not too many players on the planet fit that description; here's hoping Cole gets back into pool so we can see some of that skill.

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member

Actually he is a Montana boy now. Butte i think. He shows up at some of our local tounaments. A legend he remains.

tommie1351

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cut-em cole

Anyone who would bet against Cole making a cut shot should do their homework. I am proud to call Cole a close Friend, I talk to him about once a week. He is living in Billings, MT. and is playing a little more. He is better than most on a bad day. I wish him well at DC, I know he will enjoy it. I talked to him while he was there and he sounded good. Good luck Cole and take it from an old timer, "Don't Bet Against Cole Dickson.

billingsmtluke

Registered
Cole does live in Billings, MT. I talk to him on a regular basis. Its great to see him playing more these days. I wish I would've had the chance to see him play 30 years ago. All I get is the stories of his action through the years. He has cleaned up his life and focusing on the things that are important to him. He is nearing 60 years old now..59 I think. Do your homework if you plan to bet against him. Still cuts the edges off the ball after all these years.

DrawtheRock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pay Ball

Jay,

You are correct in that he doesnt play like he used to. I will say I talked to him quite a bit and he is clean and sober..which is the most important thing. He was definitely fun to talk to and knows the game. I never got to see him play in his prime but heard when he was 18-22 that he was a very serious player that bet some serious cash. I heard he would bet very high and would bet his own dough..as I high as you liked to bet. He did mention some pretty good scores he made playing pay ball against top players.

Jay do you have any good Cole stories?