Coming together for a forum member having a rough time

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
My sincere condolences Mark, and remember that with a wonderful AZB family you are not alone.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Addressed to AZhousepro:

Mike, find out -- in any number of ways (including Mark himself) -- all the other online discussion groups beyond AZbilliards that Mark is known to have actively posted to -- given his many interests, and apprise all of them about the very commendable and urgent fund that has been formed on his behalf.

He's a talented, prolific, and articulate writer and it is beyond doubt that he has years of posting history elsewhere online. The denizens and regulars on those other groups would surely want to contribute donations in his present time of deep need and understandable emotional distress.

Consider this msg. also as an appeal to any folks who are AZB readers who know Mark moderately or quite well, and who can help by passing onto Mike H. the names of other online interest groups who should be told about the fund.

Arnaldo
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Offering my sincere condolences to Mark, family, freinds and loved ones 🙏

Godspeed,
kat

Rickhem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sincere condolences, and prayers for a path forward with fond memories and positivity.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
Mark I have no words that sound helpful when I think about saying them.

I will include you in my daily prayers.

JC

Sev

I taut I saw a pussy cat!
Silver Member
I would like to thank you all for the kind words and support.
It means more than you know.

As you all can imagine the last year plus has been overwhelming for me.
It was like a raging storm. When Brenda passed. The world suddenly went quiet. There was nothing left but a vacuum in my life where she had existed for so long. My life has be irrevocably changed.

That this fund was created by individuals whom I have only ever met though typed discourse on the internet makes it all the more astonishing and precious.
Mike and other members having come together out of concern for me exemplifies the intrinsic goodness of our community and our basic humanity to others in time of crisis.
It is one thing to give to others as Brenda and I often did.
It is quite another to be the on the other side of the door being the beneficiary of such kindness.

I was hesitant at first to go forward with the fund. Much less consider being actively involved and promoting it. I expressed this concern to Mike and the others. Quite simply both the fund itself and actually participating in it made me uncomfortable. A matter of personal ego and pride.
It is not a place I ever thought I would be in.

Upon reflection I concluded that if people are willing to, of their own volition, to freely chose to come together to create a fund out concern for an individual that they have never been in the same room with. There comes a certain responsibility on my part be active in the effort as well. I think it is both principled and conscientious to do so.

So there is one thing I would ask all of you to consider doing. It Is to share the GoFundMe on the social media platforms and forums that you participate in to help promote awareness of the fund. This will increase the chances of Mike and our other members efforts to prove successful. Consider sharing it in places you may use but not think of such as linkedin, Twitter and Reddit. Both Twitter and Reddit have specific areas for GFM.
Facebook has GoFundMe pages. Which I am not sure it would be appropriate for me to post the fund in. As I am the recipient of it.

If it helps. If any of you would like to send me a friend request on Facebook. Just let me know who you are and I will accept.
That way if you would like to. You can share the fund directly from my page. Or at the very least click "Like" and perhaps comment on the fund page.
If you share from the page it will show in my feed and perhaps inspire others to do the same.

It is funny. I recall a thread that was started over a decade ago who's purpose was to show yourself. At the time some did. It would seem after all this time I am now among those that have. I am no longer anonymous to any of you. Time passes and things change. The world moves on.

So from the bottom of my heart.
For all your thoughts and prayers.

Thank you all so very much.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I would like to thank you all for the kind words and support.
It means more than you know.

As you all can imagine the last year plus has been overwhelming for me.
It was like a raging storm. When Brenda passed. The world suddenly went quiet. There was nothing left but a vacuum in my life where she had existed for so long. My life has be irrevocably changed.

That this fund was created by individuals whom I have only ever met though typed discourse on the internet makes it all the more astonishing and precious.
Mike and other members having come together out of concern for me exemplifies the intrinsic goodness of our community and our basic humanity to others in time of crisis.
It is one thing to give to others as Brenda and I often did.
It is quite another to be the on the other side of the door being the beneficiary of such kindness.

I was hesitant at first to go forward with the fund. Much less consider being actively involved and promoting it. I expressed this concern to Mike and the others. Quite simply both the fund itself and actually participating in it made me uncomfortable. A matter of personal ego and pride.
It is not a place I ever thought I would be in.

Upon reflection I concluded that if people are willing to, of their own volition, to freely chose to come together to create a fund out concern for an individual that they have never been in the same room with. There comes a certain responsibility on my part be active in the effort as well. I think it is both principled and conscientious to do so.

So there is one thing I would ask all of you to consider doing. It Is to share the GoFundMe on the social media platforms and forums that you participate in to help promote awareness of the fund. This will increase the chances of Mike and our other members efforts to prove successful. Consider sharing it in places you may use but not think of such as linkedin, Twitter and Reddit. Both Twitter and Reddit have specific areas for GFM.
Facebook has GoFundMe pages. Which I am not sure it would be appropriate for me to post the fund in. As I am the recipient of it.

If it helps. If any of you would like to send me a friend request on Facebook. Just let me know who you are and I will accept.
That way if you would like to. You can share the fund directly from my page. Or at the very least click "Like" and perhaps comment on the fund page.
If you share from the page it will show in my feed and perhaps inspire others to do the same.

It is funny. I recall a thread that was started over a decade ago who's purpose was to show yourself. At the time some did. It would seem after all this time I am now among those that have. I am no longer anonymous to any of you. Time passes and things change. The world moves on.

So from the bottom of my heart.
For all your thoughts and prayers.

Thank you all so very much.

My last comment was deleted, but I still genuinely hope that the selflessness of others motivates you to be a great person, who believes in society and social welfare, as you are now receiving

Sev

Silver Member
My last comment was deleted, but I still genuinely hope that the selflessness of others motivates you to be a great person, who believes in society and social welfare, as you are now receiving
My man. I understand what you are saying. And I do appreciate it. However you are saying it wrong. And your assessment is wrong. There in lays the problem.

Contrary to how you may perceive me to be on the forums. Brenda and I have always given to those in need.
And yes I am deliberately provocative quite often. And do I realize that it may create certain perceptions. I also often play devils advocate.

However. Outside of our discussions and back in the real world.

I do my best in my profession to give my clients the best value for their dollar. Especially the elderly who are often taken advantage of.
I spend a lot of time locating items that are on sale or closeout for those same people so as to decrease their out of pocket expenses.
At the moment I donating a commercial propane grill to a small local business that recently started up. A small place. A husband and wife are running it.

I have never argued against individuals giving and helping others of their own free will. I have always stood for charitable activities engaged in by the church and any other organizations that do so in a legitimate manner. Anybody that has paid close attention to my arguments would understand that.

Those by definition are not social welfare.
Social welfare involves the state and the application of force on the individual. Their free will and ability to choose where, when and how to apply their charity is taken out of their hands. It does not involve free exercise of one own decisions and actions.

I hope I have brought a bit of clarity to your concerns.

I do not expect this thread to become a political shit show.
You have made your statement. Which I appreciate.
I have attempted to give you a different perspective.
That is the end of it.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know we all have our arguments and disagreements here, but at the end of the day we are still a family here. One of our own is going through some difficulties and a couple members here came to me with the idea of starting a gofundme to help him out. I thought it was a great idea.

Just a bump as much as anything else. Seems odd that more people haven't pitched in to help Sev. Some heavy hitters which is certainly nice but the number of contributors is smaller than I expected. Not trying to pressure anyone but I am wondering if the post is being seen or missed for some reason.

Sev has been around for ages and is one of the good guys of the forum. I remember when I started an accidental fundraiser for another fine poster here, things went absolutely crazy. I wanted to buy a few balloons, we ended up buying a nice laptop and other goodies.

Some were embarrassed by amounts they donated to the fund I started. Absolutely no reason to be embarrassed for contributing any amount but there is an anonymous option if someone wants to use it.

Hu

Sev

Silver Member
Though we haven't spoken in a few years , Sev , I considered you a good friend on here .
I'm sorry to hear of Brenda's passing , and of all the other hits you have taken in the past year .
I actually remember that we started talking on here soon after your father's passing , and of the decisions you had to make then , and of your decision to relocate to the State of Franklin.
I hope that you are able to retain your home , BUT . . ...consider this . . . I think it was well over 10 years ago you relocated down there .
And home prices have gone nowhere but up .
And East Tennessee property is HOT .
Might be time to pull the equity out and relocate again .
With your skill set , maybe use the equity to purchase a "handyman special" and , literally , rebuild .
Both the home and your life .

But whatever you decide , brother , know that you have friends here .
Thank you.

Yes. That is correct.
I was attempting to help one of the members get through a tough time. It may have been Blackballed. But I am not sure anymore.
My father passed in 1997. The day prior to Brenda's birthday.
My mother and I had to make the tough decision to take him off life support. I joined in 2006. That conversation occurred several years afterwards.
We relocated to TN about 15 years ago.

Oh indeed. East TN prices are hot. Even the Handyman specials have gone up quite a bit. If I was going to do what you suggest. Projects such as replacing the roof and other necessary maintenance were put on the back burner with due to Brenda's illness and COVID.
Without Brenda's income and the current inflated price of building materials for now those projects will have to remain on the back burner.

For instance. The roof needs replacement. My plywood cost went up from around 750.00 to almost 4000.00 for the roof. Then there is another 2500+ in materials for shingles, underpayment, nails etc. Plus disposal costs. No labor as I would be doing it myself.
Granted plywood costs have dropped from peak. But it is still unacceptably elevated.
I also need to do repairs on the barn.

So in order to get the best price for the property. I have to do a lot of work first. Which at the moment is not in the cards.

Quite honestly I like where I am. The property is in the Cherokee National forest. It is a dead end street with only 9 neighbors. Mostly large lots of 4+ acres. Everybody has elbow room.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you.

Yes. That is correct.
I was attempting to help one of the members get through a tough time. It may have been Blackballed. But I am not sure anymore.
My father passed in 1997. The day prior to Brenda's birthday.
My mother and I had to make the tough decision to take him off life support. I joined in 2006. That conversation occurred several years afterwards.
We relocated to TN about 15 years ago.

Oh indeed. East TN prices are hot. Even the Handyman specials have gone up quite a bit. If I was going to do what you suggest. Projects such as replacing the roof and other necessary maintenance were put on the back burner with due to Brenda's illness and COVID.
Without Brenda's income and the current inflated price of building materials for now those projects will have to remain on the back burner.

For instance. The roof needs replacement. My plywood cost went up from around 750.00 to almost 4000.00 for the roof. Then there is another 2500+ in materials for shingles, underpayment, nails etc. Plus disposal costs. No labor as I would be doing it myself.
Granted plywood costs have dropped from peak. But it is still unacceptably elevated.
I also need to do repairs on the barn.

So in order to get the best price for the property. I have to do a lot of work first. Which at the moment is not in the cards.

Quite honestly I like where I am. The property is in the Cherokee National forest. It is a dead end street with only 9 neighbors. Mostly large lots of 4+ acres. Everybody has elbow room.

The house sounds too special and in too special a place to give up! Fortunately I have a brilliant idea for repairs. Call up jimmy carter. He likes building houses and I am sure his secret service detail members are expert carpenters by now!

Hu

Sev

Silver Member
The house sounds too special and in too special a place to give up! Fortunately I have a brilliant idea for repairs. Call up jimmy carter. He likes building houses and I am sure his secret service detail members are expert carpenters by now!

Hu
LOL.
Funny. I just bought 5lb bag of salted Hampton peanuts today.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
When loved one's are lost, living can be even harder.

This painting is in Memorial for Sev.

It's a painting of Joe Jusko linework, the character is called Moon Knight.

( I should have replaced the knife with a pool cue and placed a pool table in front of the character. )

GimpPaint.png

• Haha
Reactions: Sev