Cost of a shaft

Buster Jones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, I just finished the first page...and i've been bored all week and wondered how the arguing in the cue equipment section stopped so abruptly! I see it's moved over to the questions section!

:joyful:

Ty Arnold

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow I cant believe this guy doesnt even know who eric is, and hes trying to call him out. I believe erics shafts are priced well compared to many other makers at 200. It is simple supply and demand in my opinion. Eric could sell them for a little more and they would still sell, so I would have to say based on rules of supply and demand they are a little underpriced.

Quality Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So which is it? Either you have something to prove or you don't. No matter. You are right & I am wrong. It's just that I had aspirations of someday building a cue that other people could appreciate. I guess I should put in the time to research & develop something that stands out among the crowd & is desirable to players. I imagine what it would be like.

Imagine spending half of your days answering emails & phone calls from players all over the world, only to tell them that you cannot accept their orders due to you being solid booked indefinitely. Imagine doing that day after day, year after year. Imagine them telling you it doesn't matter how long it takes, just please keep their name on record so if & when you have time in the future, you might consider building them a cue. Imagine getting order requests from not only pro players, but hall of fame legends. I'm not talking about sponsor requests, but paying orders. Imagine what it would be like to come home from a two week family vacation to see 300 emails & your answering machine maxed out with folks wanting cues. Sounds ludicrous doesn't it? That would be the shizzle. How much confidence & sense of accomplishment would that give you knowing that you have cue orders for the rest of your life & as many as you can build? That would be awesome. I mean, isn't that the dream that drives aspiring cue builders? Big imagination I have, I know. What can I say? I'm a dreamer.

If you reach that point, i'll accept your challenge gladly. You'll be in my league & might have something i'm interested in learning. Until then, you got nothing for me to compete for.

Eric:

Well said. Your cues are extremely well built and, more importantly, play with the best of them. I can't wait until you deliver my dream cue. See you in 3 weeks. Best regards.

classiccues

Craig Petersen Ebony Nose Circa 1988
Gold Member
Silver Member
I noticed that too........:grin:

Not only that but that ring issue is NOT from turning off center. That's an indicator issue. I guess when your putting finish on an 88 Hyundai excel you don't have to indicate it.

BTW Verl Horn was an autobody (expert) and his cue finish wasn't all that great.

JV

Worminator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AZ is populated by a wealth of highly talented cue craftsmen, including a few of truly stratospheric stature. Many others who've worked the ropes under legendary names. The legends - Barry Szamboti & Dennis Searing to name but two - do occaisionally drop in and/or browse.
What they have a chance to happen onto, is dictated by those who post...

Just like every other cuemaker mentioned, I'm sure Mr Barioni doesn't know who these guys are either.

classiccues

Craig Petersen Ebony Nose Circa 1988
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just like every other cuemaker mentioned, I'm sure Mr Barioni doesn't know who these guys are either.

Well I can't wait for Barioni Bucks... :smile:

Maybe he'll put guns in with pictures of his cues to show how badda$$ he is.

JV

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
I personally feel that around $150-200 is the high end I'd not mind paying for a shaft.. I too, don't feel that it's good business to offer 3 grades of shafts.. If I were a cuemaker, I'd not put crap out there with my name on it, only offering a shaft that I'd be proud to put my name on.

As a matter of fact, I just had a shaft made from a very good cuemaker, with my custom ringwork for $140.. I probably got a break because he also made the cue for me that the shaft is made for.. To me, anything over $200 is absurd, and I most likely would not pay unless it was "magic" ;)

Great thread by the way.. The other thread with the guy offering 3 different grades at $100, $200 & $300 is bad business IMHO..

Last edited:

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
This thread has nothing for sale, trade, or wanted. So exactly why did it get moved from the cuemaker discussion forum? It is exactly a discussion among cuemakers & not intended in any way to advertise anything for sale. Petty unjust censorship says it all.

GoTulane

Shizzle-rific
hmmmmm...

I believe it was moved to add more excitement to an otherwise dull Wanted/For Sale section.

And hey, it might have gotten a few people to realize that they need to buy a shaft or two. It has certainly got me thinking!

Next time, please don't sugar coat it:rolleyes:

Michael

Bill Yerd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tascarella Custom Cues Shaft Pricing

Pete charges $225 for a shaft with a phenolic ferrule and $300 for a shaft with an Ivory ferrule.
I am sure they are worth every penny or more.

I have read about them.
I would like to be one of the judges/testers in one of the future Cue Build-offs or whatever they may be called. How can I get involved?

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
I would like to be one of the judges/testers in one of the future Cue Build-offs or whatever they may be called. How can I get involved?[/QUOTE]

A shaft-off? LOL.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Pete charges $225 for a shaft with a phenolic ferrule and $300 for a shaft with an Ivory ferrule.
I am sure they are worth every penny or more.

I have read about them.
I would like to be one of the judges/testers in one of the future Cue Build-offs or whatever they may be called. How can I get involved?

$300 is not out of line for a highly demanded builder equipped with ivory ferrule.

Not sure about any more build-offs. All it takes is for somebody to make it happen. Would probably be easier to do and bigger now that everybody has seen that it can be done.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
not sure why this is in the wanted for sale section...but moderators I'm sure read the thread and realized that it belonged here. Why else would it be here?

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Eric, your work speaks for itself. How much do you charge for a shaft with a black collar and silver ring?, its a 5/16-18 piloted. Do you need the cue or just measurements? Thanks. :smile:

Attachments

• 41085_150474544979069_100000495745425_402594_7337344_n.jpg
    41085_150474544979069_100000495745425_402594_7337344_n.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 609
  • 41085_150474541645736_100000495745425_402593_193562_n.jpg
    41085_150474541645736_100000495745425_402593_193562_n.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 613

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With some of the things pointed out, this is exactly why I have not had a shaft made that I need for my old Schon. Simply put, I am not sure who to go with and why. I am less worried about price and more worried about workmanship. If I had to pay the extra 50 to get a good quality piece I would. Most of the higher end makers can (and will) charge for the simple fact that they can. If I do not call them to make a shaft, someone else will (simple supply and demand).

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
With some of the things pointed out, this is exactly why I have not had a shaft made that I need for my old Schon. Simply put, I am not sure who to go with and why. I am less worried about price and more worried about workmanship. If I had to pay the extra 50 to get a good quality piece I would. Most of the higher end makers can (and will) charge for the simple fact that they can. If I do not call them to make a shaft, someone else will (simple supply and demand).

Why not buy a shaft from Shone?
Or do you think you can get higher quality for less money elsewhere.

What specifics does your new shaft need to be considered high quality?

After seeing what some sellers will send as A++ shaft wood ... I am confused.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not buy a shaft from Shone?
Or do you think you can get higher quality for less money elsewhere.

What specifics does your new shaft need to be considered high quality?

After seeing what some sellers will send as A++ shaft wood ... I am confused.

Willee, I am not a big fan of the shafts that Schon sells now. Yes, I think I can get a better quality piece at either the same or less elsewhere.

To me, high quality means attention to detail. Fit, finish, quality of materials, etc.