Could this man be the Mosconi Messiah

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The comments and feedback that I received over the past week tell me that the future of the game stands at a crossroads. Take the wrong road and it could be a very short DEAD END street.

Mark Wilson, a name that is not universally recognised has come walking out of the jungle.looking to slaughter a few King Kongs.

His Lindenwood University should be a template to which every other bona fide instructor should aspire. Many others offer good guidance but they would be wise to try and find a faculty like Lindenwood where our sport can find respectability.

You don't have to be Einstein to work out that the man is on a Fast Track to a place in the Hall of Fame. So check out his book and check out his philosophy.

forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=346554

Then, if you care about the game, find some way to get behind him

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
In the past I'd heard only a little about Mark. I'm not quite sure why he's being pushed up by some here as possible US Cup captain.

I only know he was on The Cup way back when, wrote a book, and is a coach for Linderwood University - why would he be a top choice to captain the US Cup team?

Perhaps in this thread, I, and others can learn more @ him. Thanks pro9dg!

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the past I'd heard only a little about Mark. I'm not quite sure why he's being pushed up by some here as possible US Cup captain.

I only know he was on The Cup way back when, wrote a book, and is a coach for Linderwood University - why would he be a top choice to captain the US Cup team?

I think that the major deficiency that has emerged from the contemporary Mosconi Cups is the inability of the US players to act as a team and display some genuine national pride.
Evey time I read something about Mark it is this quality to lead that is a recurring theme.

Sure there are other contenders but I cannot think of one that would engender that much desired team spirit. Hopkins, Varner etc - just old medicine in new bottles. Wilson - a laxative and a glass of bubbly

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

KK, I said this to several folks at the MC: I believe the ideal coaching choice for the US team would be Mark Wilson. He is an accomplished player, has played in two MC, is a renown instructor, is well respected in the industry, understands the psychological issues of team competition, and has the physical presence and gravitas to lead the team.

Lou Figueroa

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gets rid of the s**t and then refreshes

Selecting a coach that pleases industry is one strategy, but I think it will depend on *who* the players are. There must be relationship between the coach and players, I think, in order for the team to be effective. :smile:

As it stands today in 2014, not many people in the American pool culture respect the players. :(

Any coach will have a tough time developing a team if the team consists of players that are deemed as jobless bums, pariahs, and no-good hustlers.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 1,194

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I think that the major deficiency that has emerged from the contemporary Mosconi Cups is the inability of the US players to act as a team and display some genuine national pride.
Evey time I read something about Mark it is this quality to lead that is a recurring theme.

Sure there are other contenders but I cannot think of one that would engender that much desired team spirit. Hopkins, Varner etc - just old medicine in new bottles. Wilson - a laxative and a glass of bubbly

Great post about a great man that could bring back some honor to American pool. I'd vote for him in a NY minute. Johnnyt

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member

I agree with this 100% and I would like to add a little to it. I have respect for all our players, I don't think any of them are bums. But I think Earl has disgraced his team, country and fans with his behavior at this years Masconi cup. I think his behavior was a distraction to himself and his teammates that ultimately brought down their level of play.

This has to change. what good is a win if you dishonor yourself, your team and the game to get it. The man is quite possibly the best that I have ever seen play the game, but we shouldn't allow his abilities to make us turn a blind eye to his behavior.

I hope he can overcome his problems but if he is going to act like a child then he should be treated like one. (and anyone who thinks he didn't act like a 2 year old throwing a tantrum needs to open their eyes) We need Earl to be a positive part of the team, but right now he isn't even part of the team. He is just there to win his games.

I also think that the players that are chosen for next year are going to need to train together more as a team. I'm not sure how they will be able to accomplish this since american pool doesn't pay very well at all. But I know team Europe works together a lot and it shows. They build each other up during the year leading up to the MC, the same can not be often said of our players.

Talent + cohesiveness + leadership= Mosconi Cup Championship.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Any coach will have a tough time developing a team if the team consists of players that are deemed as jobless bums, pariahs, and no-good hustlers.

You are right JAM - Mark has EARNED his positive reputation in the pool world. Time for some of the players to step up and do the same.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Selecting a coach that pleases industry is one strategy, but I think it will depend on *who* the players are. There must be relationship between the coach and players, I think, in order for the team to be effective. :smile:

As it stands today in 2014, not many people in the American pool culture respect the players. :(

Too true. I can think of a couple of Mosconi Cup participants from this year that would have been summarily dismissed from the Lindenwood team....not kidding....they would be OUT!

Hard to imagine Mark being a part of such a scene. Also hard to imagine him not gathering the players (no matter the expense) for a week or two of intensive preparation (hmmmm....if he ever gets the gig, and gets the good sportsmen on the team, I'll foot the cost of the training:)....not really kidding).

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
P.S. - it would be GREAT to have, say, 8 players in training, then choose the best 5 from that pool AFTER a couple of weeks of preparation. Gives them incentive to cooperate, train, play hard, and behave. Just my opinion.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too true. I can think of a couple of Mosconi Cup participants from this year that would have been summarily dismissed from the Lindenwood team....not kidding....they would be OUT!

Hard to imagine Mark being a part of such a scene. Also hard to imagine him not gathering the players (no matter the expense) for a week or two of intensive preparation (hmmmm....if he ever gets the gig, and gets the good sportsmen on the team, I'll foot the cost of the training:)....not really kidding).

The existing lot of active professional pro players in America is slim pickings. If they include all of North America next year, we will see quite a different complement of players.

I'm not sure at this juncture how established pool pros in today's pool world will respond to Mark Wilson as their coach. There needs to be a relationship developed, I think, in order for a team and coach to be effective in unison. :cool:

JayKidd

Grammatically Challenged
Silver Member
P.S. - it would be GREAT to have, say, 8 players in training, then choose the best 5 from that pool AFTER a couple of weeks of preparation. Gives them incentive to cooperate, train, play hard, and behave. Just my opinion.

I would think the trainning camp should happen after the player selection, otherwise we will have some pageantry dynamics in the camp. It that good for team building?

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
I would think the trainning camp should happen after the player selection, otherwise we will have some pageantry dynamics in the camp. It that good for team building?

JK,
My opinion is a RESOUNDING yes.

Intense competition for a place would be great; and would provide the coach with the necessary authority to enforce behavior and sportsmanship codes. Most of the players would thrive under this, and it would provide valuable experience under pressure right before the event that provides the most pressure a pro pool player will ever experience. Just my opinion.

P.S. - for those that think I am criticizing Earl, Dennis, & Rodney....let me point out that with a re-vamped system, those guys might LEARN, even WANT to behave better...they just have never had any reason to , or examples to follow. They might become even greater. It could happen :). Those guys have the talent to do ANYTHING they want to...they just have to want to.

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think having a group that is in close proximity could make a better team quicker. Reduce their travel expenses and allow them to train for doubles and team expenses months prior. To have the talent clustered would probably limit to places like NYC or Hardtimes. But, those team events add up to a lot of points. Also, having players that are familiar and friendly. This would help them to communicate more efficiently. In doubles, the shot clock pushes the players to make instantaneous decisions. The less chatter, the better. Several times this hurt the US in doubles. And the Euro's always seemed to be on the same page.

Respect, Courage, and Commitment!

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
The existing lot of active professional pro players in America is slim pickings. If they include all of North America next year, we will see quite a different complement of players.

I'm not sure at this juncture how established pool pros in today's pool world will respond to Mark Wilson as their coach. There needs to be a relationship developed, I think, in order for a team and coach to be effective in unison. :cool:

No there simply has to be an understanding of respect. To the coach, to the team, to their country and to their fans. Until that is learned and if need be taught by someone like Mark that can teach it, they don't need to be on the team.