really tho, this has been an experiment
sitting back, waiting for the tides to turn
and when they do
I'll be curious to see how my game fares

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
deepknowledge.jpg

looks like a pool player is innovating the diamond measurement system, into sub intervals.

This pool player is exhibiting signs of advanced math concepts.

The main issue I encountered with using a specific diamond system from decades ago was having a proper overhead camera system. A good rail system is great, but having instant replay was something I dreamed of decades ago. It looks very possible with today's technology and price point. even multi angles with multiple cameras today its very affordable with only a cell phone.

I found the footage from instagram, I think its a great idea. if this is how the today's players find new edges in the game, its going to be tougher to spot someone working on new traps.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
View attachment 556750

looks like a pool player is innovating the diamond measurement system, into sub intervals.

This pool player is exhibiting signs of advanced math concepts.

The main issue I encountered with using a specific diamond system from decades ago was having a proper overhead camera system. A good rail system is great, but having instant replay was something I dreamed of decades ago. It looks very possible with today's technology and price point. even multi angles with multiple cameras today its very affordable with only a cell phone.

I found the footage from instagram, I think its a great idea. if this is how the today's players find new edges in the game, its going to be tougher to spot someone working on new traps.

Seems like there has to be a 30 foot ceiling before a camera can focus properly, and then the lights are in the way. I'll take the fisheye before noverhead.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not today

Seems like there has to be a 30 foot ceiling before a camera can focus properly, and then the lights are in the way. I'll take the fisheye before noverhead.

The miracles of software! Not up to date on it but you can mount two cameras some distance apart to each shoot half the table and the software merges the two seamlessly. Not just laying the two images side by side but correcting overlap and truly merging every frame. I know that fisheye correction is also available. Will the same software do both or will the two softwares work and play well together?

Another issue seldom addressed is bloom. Red is I believe the worst color but what you see on video ain't always what is there.

I think the dual camera deal is best for now but I wonder how many cameras could be spliced eventually? Correct by comparing what four or more cameras saw? This kind of stuff won't be designed for pool of course, we may still be able to use it.

Hu

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The miracles of software! Not up to date on it but you can mount two cameras some distance apart to each shoot half the table and the software merges the two seamlessly. Not just laying the two images side by side but correcting overlap and truly merging every frame. I know that fisheye correction is also available. Will the same software do both or will the two softwares work and play well together?

Another issue seldom addressed is bloom. Red is I believe the worst color but what you see on video ain't always what is there.

I think the dual camera deal is best for now but I wonder how many cameras could be spliced eventually? Correct by comparing what four or more cameras saw? This kind of stuff won't be designed for pool of course, we may still be able to use it.

Hu
The images can't be merged perfectly because the cameras see different parts of the balls that are right between them. I think what would be better is for the system to catch the positions of the balls and put the moving coordinates into something like VP to replay the shot. The viewpoint would be selectable and all the speeds and spins could be measured.

Just a small matter of programming.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
saw this months ago

The images can't be merged perfectly because the cameras see different parts of the balls that are right between them. I think what would be better is for the system to catch the positions of the balls and put the moving coordinates into something like VP to replay the shot. The viewpoint would be selectable and all the speeds and spins could be measured.

Bob,

I saw this months ago so I am a little soft on details. However, this was to merge the images coming from two video cameras so it is just a given that the issue you are talking about would have to be dealt with. Shouldn't be that big of a horsepower issue. Back in '93 with the PC and software from that period I could locate every point in a ten mile radius to 3/8" accuracy on an image. Points on maybe a twelve by twenty feet field shouldn't be that difficult. Balls should be far easier to see and understand than a human or something else with an irregular shape. We are only dealing with two-dimensional display too. Everything on the display is flat.

The primary issues seem to be mechanical. Positioning and alignment of the cameras and then synchronizing the shooting of images. One thing that isn't clear is what you mean by right between them. Both cameras are still overhead, there is nothing in the field of view that is between the cameras.

Hu

justnum

Silver Member
Not just programming

A high shutter speed camera, it has to be able to clearly show dynamics on film frame by frame. With off the shelf products its blurry, or only works at slow speeds.

modifications to the billiards ball to make computer tracking easier. I think a banded ball (with solid and striped bands) is best it can display rotational information better than the measles ball.

after the physical changes than tasking the processor is ok.

____If you get past the hardware, then I'd like to talk more about filming angle for a person stroking the cue. Stroke analysis which filming angles are most important?

the programming part has been finished or can be borrowed from many existing technologies.

everything i am talking about is for importing data into a virtual simulator but something better than VP, something that runs on professional hardware, not commercial hardware.

Bob if you have access to the equipment or equipment makers I can provide additional notes.

Last edited:

justnum

Silver Member
sounds like their work is still teaching people with a simple to understand biographical history of places theyve been.

Trust the human brain.
The human brain performs approximately one billion, billion computations a second. Math, no problem.
Calculus, no problem.
Separate false billiard information from the real necessary information, few can do it, they become the best billiards players.
Some, even become champions in their chosen fields.
Greenleaf won twenty 14.1 World Championships in about a twenty four year span.
Mosconi won fifteen 14.1 World Championships in a seventeen year span.
That's about thirty-five 14.1 World Championships between the two of them.
There were few flunkie pool players competing for those thirty-five championships between 1919 and 1956.
Greenleaf and Mosconi toured the USA in the mid 1920's together, playing and giving exhibitions in 14.1 Straight Pool.
Who taught Whom?

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
world championships

World championships back in the day were decided in different ways. Often only a handful of players. Sometimes a round robin played including the existing world champion, sometimes all the other competitors battled each other and only one got to contend for the world championship so the people that held the championship might play one match to retain their title.

Also, in years where the championship wasn't contested due to matters large or small like the war to end all wars, generally the title was awarded to the person who had it the year before. You could be declared world champion without picking up a stick!

Greenleaf was the older player, Mosconi the kid. No question who should be teaching who or who should be learning by observation and experience. However, Greenleaf was an alcoholic, deep down into the depths of alcoholism. Greenleaf played great pool drunk or sober but there were times when he couldn't play at all.

I would say that Mosconi learned from Greenleaf but there is also the matter of steel honing steel. If you are in a small town where the best player is a high "C" or low "B" level player, at most you may become a little bit above this player. Very few rise above their competition more than a small degree at best. If your competition is the best in the world, you are struggling to beat that level of competition.

The best cars at the local track were local heroes and the fans thought they were something! These same guys went to the big city and got their rears handed to them at Boot Hill. There was a bigger city less than a hundred and fifty miles from Boot Hill. The guys from Boot hill go to Devil's Bowl, they were back markers just as the small town hero had been at Boot Hill. For the guy at the local track to beat the competition at Devil's Bowl, they had to jump several major levels above the competition they ran against most Saturday nights. Not impossible but not likely. Reverse things and a middle of the pack car at Devil's Bowl looked like a god if they came to the local track when they were passing through.

All is just to say that just being around probably the best in the world was a huge advantage for Willie. Learning to beat Greenleaf even sometimes, put Mosconi at the nose bleed level of competition whether he did it by learning from Greenleaf or trying any route that was legal to beat him.

Hu

Trust the human brain.
The human brain performs approximately one billion, billion computations a second. Math, no problem.
Calculus, no problem.
Separate false billiard information from the real necessary information, few can do it, they become the best billiards players.
Some, even become champions in their chosen fields.
Greenleaf won twenty 14.1 World Championships in about a twenty four year span.
Mosconi won fifteen 14.1 World Championships in a seventeen year span.
That's about thirty-five 14.1 World Championships between the two of them.
There were few flunkie pool players competing for those thirty-five championships between 1919 and 1956.
Greenleaf and Mosconi toured the USA in the mid 1920's together, playing and giving exhibitions in 14.1 Straight Pool.
Who taught Whom?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob,

I saw this months ago so I am a little soft on details. However, this was to merge the images coming from two video cameras so it is just a given that the issue you are talking about would have to be dealt with. Shouldn't be that big of a horsepower issue. Back in '93 with the PC and software from that period I could locate every point in a ten mile radius to 3/8" accuracy on an image. Points on maybe a twelve by twenty feet field shouldn't be that difficult. Balls should be far easier to see and understand than a human or something else with an irregular shape. We are only dealing with two-dimensional display too. Everything on the display is flat.

The primary issues seem to be mechanical. Positioning and alignment of the cameras and then synchronizing the shooting of images. One thing that isn't clear is what you mean by right between them. Both cameras are still overhead, there is nothing in the field of view that is between the cameras.

Hu

Love it! I put this discussion in my personal category of "knowing what you don't know," and I damn sure don't know about stuff like this. I do know that for many years I was told never to wear red on TV. For some reason that color shows up bad on television.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also, in years where the championship wasn't contested due to matters large or small like the war to end all wars, generally the title was awarded to the person who had it the year before. You could be declared world champion without picking up a stick!

I've heard Mike Sigel say the same thing but is it really true? It looks like the championship was played every year during WW2 and I'm 99% sure that Mosconi actually played to win all of his 19 championships. Sadly, Ursitti's database of tournament history is gone, and even the Wayback machine doesn't have it, but you can find bits and pieces of tournament results online. Amazing there doesn't seem to be any website that has the history of tournament results.

He entered his first major tournament in 1937 and won the world pocket billiards championship in league play in 1941 and in tournament play the following year. After losing the championship in a match with Andrew Ponzi in 1943, he regained the title by beating Ponzi in 1944 and held it until 1946, when Irving Crane won a world championship tournament.

Mosconi reclaimed the championship by beating Crane in a 1947 match. From 1950 through 1953 and in 1956 and 1957, Mosconi won annual tournaments to become world champion. He retired from competition after suffering a stroke in 1957.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've heard Mike Sigel say the same thing but is it really true? It looks like the championship was played every year during WW2 and I'm 99% sure that Mosconi actually played to win all of his 19 championships. Sadly, Ursitti's database of tournament history is gone, and even the Wayback machine doesn't have it, but you can find bits and pieces of tournament results online. Amazing there doesn't seem to be any website that has the history of tournament results.

He entered his first major tournament in 1937 and won the world pocket billiards championship in league play in 1941 and in tournament play the following year. After losing the championship in a match with Andrew Ponzi in 1943, he regained the title by beating Ponzi in 1944 and held it until 1946, when Irving Crane won a world championship tournament.

Mosconi reclaimed the championship by beating Crane in a 1947 match. From 1950 through 1953 and in 1956 and 1957, Mosconi won annual tournaments to become world champion. He retired from competition after suffering a stroke in 1957.

I'm fairly certain that several of Mosconi's "World Championships" were won by defending/defeating a single player in a long challenge match. Bob Jewett probably has the actual stats on this.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm fairly certain that several of Mosconi's "World Championships" were won by defending/defeating a single player in a long challenge match. Bob Jewett probably has the actual stats on this.

Seems they did make a distinction between "winning" a title vs "defending" one. In either event, that is a far cry from simply being named the champ without even playing. I haven't seen where in straight pool that actually happened. I still can't believe Ursitti's database is gone. I recall looking through Mosconi's championships years ago and he actually played to win. Maybe a couple of Greenleaf's were in name only???

justnum

Silver Member
The best pro's out there only hit center cue ball ~25% of the shots that they are trying to hit center cue ball.

thats like saying one in four people will win the pool tournament, when there are only 4 players.

you dont have to win me over with that one.

i hope it came across as funny.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Greenleaf and Mosconi both honed their skills early playing the game of carom pool on 5'x10' tables.
They knew where the cue ball and both balls were going prior to shooting shots.
They could carom shots and hit any selected other object balls with great intent.
They could break out any balls with great precision to advance their current runs.
They could control the movement of necessary balls within fractions of an in/mm.
They were expert at sending the cue ball through the rack at all times
They were expert at caroming the cue ball off the rack or other balls to control ball movements with precision
And we wonder why they were champions?
Ralph Greenleaf: World Pocket Billiards Championship titles
• 1919 vs. Willie Mosconi
• 1919 (December) vs. Bennie Allen
• 1920 (November) vs. Arthur Woods
• 1921 (October) vs. Arthur Woods
• 1921 (December) vs. Arthur Woods
• 1922 (February) vs. Thomas Hueston
• 1922 (May) vs. Walter Franklin
• 1922 (October) vs. Bennie Allen
• 1922 (December) vs. Arthur Church
• 1923 (January) vs. Thomas Hueston
• 1924 (April) vs. Bennie Allen
• 1926 (November) vs. Erwin Rudolph
• 1928 (March) vs. Frank Taberski
• 1928 (May) vs. Andrew St. Jean
• 1929 (December) vs. Erwin Rudolph
• 1931 (December) vs. George Kelly
• 1932 (December) vs. Jimmy Caras
• 1933 (May) vs. Andrew Ponzi
• 1937 (April) vs. Andrew Ponzi
• 1937 (November) vs. Irving Crane
• 1937 (December) vs. Irving Crane

1941: Willie Mosconi wins his first World Straight Pool Championship, with seven runs of 125 balls.
Mosconi runs 100 or more balls in every fourth game he plays, against champions like Jimmy Caras and Andrew Ponzi.
Mosconi goes on to win 15 world titles from 1941-1957.
Erwin Rudolph at age 47 wins the world straight pool championship, defeating a young Irving Crane, his fifth.
Willie Hoppe defends his three cushion billiard title against Jake Schaefer Jr., but collapses while leading 429 to 380.
Hoppe, suffering with influenza, was rushed to the care of a physician. Schaefer, a true gentleman, conceded.
Hoppe had a record of 16-1. Schaefer's record was 14-3.
Other players included Jay Bozeman, Welker Cochran, Allen Hall, Joe Camacho, Art Thurnblad and Crane (Irving?).

1942: Luther "Wimpy" Lassiter becomes the "undisputed king" of pool, winning $300,000 from 1942-1948.
Lassiter earned the nickname "Wimpy" by eating 12 hot dogs and drinking 13 sodas in a single sitting.
According to Billiards Digest, Luther Lassiter is the #9 pool/billiards player of the 20th century.
Irving Crane wins the first of 24 major championships and gets revenge by defeating Erwin Rudolph for his first straight pool crown.
Willie Mosconi becomes the world straight pool champion.

1943: Andrew Ponzi becomes the world straight pool champion, defeating Willie Mosconi and Irving Crane, his third title.
Willie Mosconi becomes the world straight pool champion from 1943-1945.

1944: Willie Hoppe says WWII saved billiards, when the US army distributed 15,000 billiard tables to American troops.
Hoppe also says that he gave over 400 exhibitions for American soldiers.
Welker Cochran wins the three-cushion billiards world championship, defeating Willie Hoppe.

1945: Willie Mosconi matches Irving Crane by running 309 balls in Perth Amboy, NJ.
Welker Cochran, three cushion billiards, averages 3.00 vs. Willie Hoppe at Bensinger's Billiards in Chicago on April 15, 1945.
Cochran scored 60 points in 20 innings with an unfinished run of 16 balls.
Welker Cochran remains the world three-cushion billiards champion.
Cecil "Buddy" Hall is born in Metropolis, IL. Hall, known as "The Rifleman" would win three of the ten richest purses in pool.
Many people in the know consider Buddy Hall to be the greatest nine-ball player of all time.
In his prime, Hall gave other top pros the seven ball and usually won.

1946: Joe Davis defeats Horace Lindrum in the longest snooker tournament final on record: 145 frames over a fortnight.
This was the 15th and last world title for Joe Davis. He scored 10 centuries (runs of 100 balls) during the event.
Irving Crane becomes the world straight pool champion, defeating Willie Mosconi, his second title.
Willie Mosconi becomes the world straight pool champion.
Willie Mosconi defends his straight pool crown against Jimmy Caras in a transcontinental tour of ten cities.
Arthur Daley, writing for The New York Times, says Mosconi "plays faster and with more daring than did Greenleaf."
Willie Mosconi is the world straight pool champion from 1946-1948, defeating Irving Crane, Jimmy Caras and Andrew Ponzi.

1947: Walter Donaldson wins the first of two world snooker championships.
Willie Hoppe wins the three-cushion billiard championship and holds title for seven years, from 1947-1952.

1948: The Billiard Congress of America (BCA) is founded.
Fred Davis wins the first of three world snooker championships and ten major titles.

1949: Jay Bozeman, three-cushion billiards, sets a championship record average of 2.17 (50 billiards in 23 innings).
Bozeman duplicates his feat in 1952.
Jimmy Caras becomes the world straight pool champion, over Willie Mosconi, his fifth title.

1950: Willie Hoppe, three-cushion billiards, sets a high grand tournament average of 1.333, a record.
Willie Mosconi is world straight pool champion from 1950-1953, defeating Irving Crane four times and Joe Procita twice.
Willie Mosconi, straight pool, has a high grand average of 18.34 in a tournament in Chicago on a 4½x9 table.

1951: "Champagne" Ed Kelly begins hustling at age 14.

1952: American interest in three-cushion billiards declines after Willie Hoppe's retirement with his record 51 world titles.

1953: Willie Mosconi, straight pool, sets a new record by running 322 balls in Platteville, WI.
Willie Mosconi, straight pool, sets a new record by running 355 balls in Milwaukee, WI.
Willie Mosconi, straight pool, sets a new record by running 365 balls in Wilmington, NC.
Ray Kilgore is the world three-cushion billiards champion, after Hoppe retired undefeated.

1954: Willie Mosconi, straight pool, runs 526 balls on an 8x4 table (the official record with 35 witness signatures).
Joe Procita, straight pool, runs 182 balls in a tournament in Philadelphia.
Harold Worst wins the World Three-Cushion Billiards Championship in Argentina.
Worst turned down a $15,000 bribe by mobsters and was advised to leave the country by Juan and Evita Peron.
According to Billiards Digest, Harold Worst is the #19 pool/billiards player of the 20th century.
According to Ronnie "Fast Eddie" Allen, Harold Worst was the best pool/billiards player of all time.
Harold Worst died of brain cancer, in his pool-playing prime, at the age of 37.
The year Worst died he held the three-cushion championship, two major pocket billiard championships, and won a snooker tournament.
According to Freddie "the Beard" the best players dodged Worst or demanded mortal locks ... and even then "everybody that played Worst shook."

1955: Irving Crane becomes the world straight pool champion, defeating Willie Mosconi, his third.
Willie Mosconi becomes the world straight pool champion from 1955-1957.

1956: Willie Mosconi has a "perfect inning" by running 150 balls in one inning against "Cowboy" Jimmy Moore in Kinston, NC.

1957: Willie Mosconi wins the last of his record 19 world straight pool championships.

I found this source also but didn't use it because it does not specifically show that Mosconi actually played an opponent for each of his 19 titles. I do recall looking at Ursitti's records where mention of each title match was given, proving that he did not earn any title without actually playing.