Do/Can you jump with your playing cue?

Do/Can you jump with your playing cue?

• Total voters

XxMerlinxX

Pleased As Punch
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just wondering how many people actually use their playing cue to jump with? Personally, I don't, I have a jump cue that I like to use. I've tried jumping with house sticks and I just can't seem to get it. I've even tried using my new SP, which has a fairly hard tip on it, and I can't do it. I've only tried a few times, but I'm fairly sure it would take me a LOT of practice just to get the ball off the felt, much less over another ball. I also don't like subjecting my playing cue to that kind of abuse, I feel it puts extra wear and tear on the cue.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Just wondering how many people actually use their playing cue to jump with? Personally, I don't, I have a jump cue that I like to use. I've tried jumping with house sticks and I just can't seem to get it. I've even tried using my new SP, which has a fairly hard tip on it, and I can't do it. I've only tried a few times, but I'm fairly sure it would take me a LOT of practice just to get the ball off the felt, much less over another ball. I also don't like subjecting my playing cue to that kind of abuse, I feel it puts extra wear and tear on the cue.

Pretty easy stuff, there really is no differance for me personally!!!!!!!!

asn130

Night owl
Silver Member
i learned to jump with my playing cue back in the early 90's when i first started playing. I used to be able to jump with a full cue better than i can with a jump cue now. Meaning that i just didn't jump the ball, but i was playing shape as well, using top, follow & sidespin.

Now, i'll pretty much hit the ball with my jump cue & i'm lucky if i make it. Shape is up to chance.

I think the invention of the phenolic tip has made us lazy. I know that a long time ago the only ones you saw jumping with a full cue were guys with powerfull, straight strokes.....

Now, any goofball with a jump cue can jump like the General Lee......even if they can't run 3 balls.

XxMerlinxX

Pleased As Punch
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't know what my problem is then. Maybe I'm just not putting as much speed behind the shot as there needs to be, or maybe I'm changing the angle at the last second? I'll have to try it again today to see if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Big Perm

1pkt 14.1 8 Banks 9 10
Silver Member
Pretty easy stuff, there really is no differance for me personally!!!!!!!!

What he said, I can easily jump at least 3/4 a ball....the one thing I can't do is the full ball at just 4 inches away.....but I believe kicking can be just as advantageous, if not more....

dr2112

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use my break cue with a water buffalo tip to jump with when I have to. Prevents damaging playing cue tip. Also my break cue is a bit shorter and easier to get on top of.

Cue Guru

Close, but no roll...
Silver Member
I can't do it with my Richard Black.

I can do it with the one I made (with the Joss shaft), but only 1/2 a ball- not a full ball jump (and in that case I would kick, or play safe). Have not tried to jump with my shaft and butt yet, but the shaft I made is too stiff right now anyway... It needs more TLC!

I have the Mace, which jumps well (when broken into a jump cue) but leagues don't allow it any longer, so when I do feel the need for a bit of altitude, I just use a full cue- it avoids the questions that a jump cue can often arouse.... Jump 1/2 ball and keep shooting. 9 out of 10 times the other player is not watching anyway.;)

PS I also like pie. Apple and Cherry for me please!

Sam Waltz

My way...
Silver Member
Da Cue...

I shoot with her...
Jump with her...
Kick with her...
Even break with her...
Yep, my cue and I are faithful to one another and I wouldn't part with her
for anything! A good cue is hard to come by, but when ya find the right
one it makes ya SMILE and think happy thoughts! :thumbup:

Psst...MMMMM pie! :)

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone who says they can jump with their playing cue easily are just plain lying. They may be able to accomplice a jump in just the right situation, but that is about it. The cue ball comes off the table with so much velocity half they time they are lucky to keep it on the table much less accomplish a controlled jump. At best they can jump a whole ball and maybe hit the object ball the length of the table away but that is about it.

Donny

Banned

I don't know why anybody in their right mind would jump with a full length cue instead of a jump cue unless the jump cue is not allowed. I've been screwed by that rule in the APA a few times against good 7s and 8s who ran racks on me. I could've made an easy hit with the jump cue but had to go for some impossible kick instead.

If you have a full length jump break cue with a phenolic tip or a phenolic tip ferrule combo, it's a lot easier to jump with a full length cue. My sledgehammer break cue has 2 shafts, 1 with a leather tip and 1 with a the phenolic tip ferrule combo (the original shaft). The leather tip is practically useless for jumping at least for me but breaks a little better, but the phenolic tip ferrule jumps really well. I was able to jump a full ball and draw 1/2 the length of the table when I practiced jumping with it a few weeks ago.

Donny

Banned
Anyone who says they can jump with their playing cue easily are just plain lying. They may be able to accomplice a jump in just the right situation, but that is about it. The cue ball comes off the table with so much velocity half they time they are lucky to keep it on the table much less accomplish a controlled jump. At best they can jump a whole ball and maybe hit the object ball the length of the table away but that is about it.

I can jump with a full length cue (my break cue) fairly easily on most shots. The only shots where it's difficult or impossible are when the cue ball is real close to the ball I'm trying to jump over. It's a lot easier with a jump cue but most are not to hard to jump with a full length cue if you practice them.

nathandumoulin

WPBL / RUNOUT MEDIA
Silver Member
I'll only jump a 1/4 or 1/3rd of a ball, and it needs to be at least a foot away from the cue ball. Otherwise I feel kicking is the better option.

Apocalypse2017

Welcome to the resistance
Silver Member

I have a Jump cue, A jump/break, and my playing cue. I will use my playing cue to jump with for the easier shots. But if I have to get over a ball that's close then I use my smaller jump cue:cool:

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
As some people noted before me, it's easier to jump with some full cues than others. My old Duffrin sneaky pete was great for jumping, with my Viking I wouldn't try to jump more than 3/4 of a ball. I don't know about my McDermmot as I don't recall jumping with it.

I like pie but I think knowing how to kick is very important too.

I also watch Southpark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ShootingRazbone

He got all the rolls
Silver Member
i learned to jump with my playing cue back in the early 90's when i first started playing. I used to be able to jump with a full cue better than i can with a jump cue now. Meaning that i just didn't jump the ball, but i was playing shape as well, using top, follow & sidespin.

Now, i'll pretty much hit the ball with my jump cue & i'm lucky if i make it. Shape is up to chance.

I think the invention of the phenolic tip has made us lazy. I know that a long time ago the only ones you saw jumping with a full cue were guys with powerfull, straight strokes.....

Now, any goofball with a jump cue can jump like the General Lee......even if they can't run 3 balls.

Then what difference does it make whether they jump one on you... you obviously will get another shot then.

When there are at least a few better options to jump with other than your playing cue ....why jump with your playing cue?

Like to see a 5k 10 ahead match and you try to jump with your playing cue and snap.... ferrule chips or breaks ..... what then????

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member

This is why I hate the jump cue. People talk about the jump cue just augmenting player's skills. In this scenario, it IS the arrow and not the indian. I know a lot of players that do not have the stroke to jump over balls with a full length cue. I happened to practice this, and know how to shoot a full length cue jump shot. Can I do it with a full blocker 6" away? Hell, no. That skill is all but gone now. Players can buy the pogo sticks and jump nearly as proficiently as me in less than 5 minutes. It's a bought skill, and should be gone from the game. I have no problem with jump shots, but 40" jump cues have to go. People can jump balls with a chalk width's space. Just how good a hook do I have to play now to get ball in hand? This is retarded - put a guy 2" behind a blocker, and that would now be considered a marginal safety by players that own jump cues.

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
Jump Control

I've seen some good players that have "total control" of their full length cue, jump shots, it's not as uncommon as you think!

David Harcrow

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member

Your comment highlights the ignorance of the jump cue mentality. There used to be times where players had to play situational shots. The blocker was too close, so they had to kick. The blocker was too far away, so again, they had to play a kick. Sometimes it was just the right distance away, and a jump shot with a full length cue was the right choice, IF you had that shot in you. Now, we just buy the prop. 98 times out of 100 you have a straight line to the blocker - all you need to do is hop the blocker. Jump kicks? No problem. They are 99% of the time a single rail kick shot, so you don't even need to know multiple rail kick shots. The best kickers used to win. It wasn't uncommon to see Earl, Efren, Mike Sigel, Johnny or Francisco in the winner's circle multiple times per year. It rarely happens now. I view the jump cue as a suckout on the river in holdem. You really should have lost, and it took an abomination happening for you to win.