Drugs to shoot better

8up

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have anxiety issues, and bipolar. I was retired do to these problems. When trying play in league often I get shaky and find myself not breathing right. I shoot like crap those nights. I shoot so bad it looks like I am blind and have no thumbs.

I currently take xanax once a day. I have considered taking it before going to league but have been afraid it would have adverse effects. It would help my anxiety but might kill my focus. If I could focus better I would play better and probably would not be in need of the xanax lol

I need something to help me with focus on and off the table. Its also hard to get better when you can't remember what you were shown yesterday.

jake-a-licious

jake--licious
ill post my story, i played very well under the influence of heroin or oxy. I am now clean by the way, however it is very hard to get my stroke back. I was so used to playing loaded, very relaxing though. Now my form just doesnt feel right anymore. Any ways drugs can help your mental state which can help your over all state. Dont do drugs though.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
ill post my story, i played very well under the influence of heroin or oxy. I am now clean by the way, however it is very hard to get my stroke back. I was so used to playing loaded, very relaxing though. Now my form just doesnt feel right anymore. Any ways drugs can help your mental state which can help your over all state. Dont do drugs though.

are you sure your clean?

Drugs help your mental state which helps your overall state.....don't do drugs?

WTF talk about a confusing statement lol.....so drugs are good for my overall state but I shouldn't do drugs? Man I'm confused lol:confused:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
writing practice time again, how did I do here??? im really working hard on my wruting, the topic/content sux. But it was a challenging thing to write to try and illustrait a point and incorporate my values into, but not be a preacher against/for drugs. unless were talking about roids(best thing ever invented)

i wont name his name or town he came from, I wont endorse what he did but there was a player who was a A- to A player that in N. Ca somewhere between Bakersfield and Sacramento back in the mid to late 80's that was rated a 90-100 speed player in the USPPA rating system(then numbers were lower then than now from what I hear) when he was clean. When he was on coke he would have gave Kim Davenport a hard time Kim was rated 150-160. And no I never saw him play Kim, I'm just dragging Kim into this as a referance, I suppose I could use Ron Rosas as a example from that era who I never saw him play either. To be clear Kim nor Ron played him that i'm aware of-just a example of how much better he played geeked up, I never saw such a difference.

My point is the guy went from being a A- player into a champion level player with coke, not meth. So he had to make a trip the toilet for a bump often, he would get the drips real bad, if you could out last his bag/stash you could get the $$$. Problem is he came to play well stocked and most of the time he out lasted who ever he played. He had to bet high to stay high, LOL.

Chris Bartrum could have out lasted this guy on the natural, Chris can out last the world on the natural. I would have loved to seen that, because when the mysteryman was on blow Chris was the dog he would have needed the 7, on the natural Chris is a heavy favorite to win heads up, Chris could give the guy the 6. The coke helped this guy play that much better and longer. mostly better.

I have never done coke and wouldnt if it made me play like JA-its not my bag and agaist my principals, but Lord have I seen it work. This guy was the exception and could maintain his head and get out the door with the $$$. Still a loser in my mind. And considering what he spent on blow playing $1000 sets he needed to win every set to come out even, I saw that in 86 for the first time and made up my mind no drugs for pool ever.

It dosent take a whole lot of knowlege on how to beat a drug player-personally I stayed away from those guys most of the time, but I played some chemical players over a very long period of time and had a good record against them, some I refused to play period. I dont like being around that junk-unless I really needed the payday. Then I might taken the game. It was easier to rob them with a deck of cards anyways.:wink:

Last edited:

jake-a-licious

jake--licious
lol. Ok ill give you that, confusing statement. Yes im clean. I was just trying to explain that for me when i was high i was relaxed and it helped me shoot well.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
lol. Ok ill give you that, confusing statement. Yes im clean. I was just trying to explain that for me when i was high i was relaxed and it helped me shoot well.

lol its cool, I was just scratching my head thinking WTF is this guy trying to say?:grin:

now i understand

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
There's drugs now.

Kids are playing
on coke, speed.

When I was younger,
it was booze.

Somehow it was
more human.

Booze, huh?

Booze. Yeah.

Wine. It goes back
to the Bible.

The Bible never mentions
amphetamines.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I think a better question would be....How many pool players have had their lives destroyed by drugs and Alcohol...as opposed to how many has it made sucessful pool players?

Glen

This is by far the best post in his thread.

I've been a substance abuse counselor for 27 years.

It's the pro-drug thinking, like that expressed in most of the posts in this thread, that keep me in business. :groucho:

If you think drugging will make a winner of you then you have been suckered and you're going to buy me my next South West! :rotflmao1::groucho:

Marcl3954

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is by far the best post in his thread.

I've been a substance abuse counselor for 27 years.

It's the pro-drug thinking, like that expressed in most of the posts in this thread, that keep me in business. :groucho:

If you think drugging will make a winner of you then you have been suckered and you're going to buy me my next South West! :rotflmao1::groucho:

Illegal Drugs have ruined more lives than they've ever helped.
Whatever the reasoning for sampling them, is playing with disaster.
I don't care if they made me play better than anyone around, it is only for a while.
There in no way playing better pool is worth taking a chance with the rest on your life.
Practice is the way to get better.

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes I believe so

I used pot a few times before playing pool, and I thought it really changed my perception for the better, and helped me shoot better....however, there were times when it didn't.....and maybe did the opposite; by making me feel somewhat paranoid about being high......

Another story I sometimes tell about performance enhancing drugs is this one:

When I was in my twenties and an apprentice in construction, I went to work one day dragging my butt because of staying up too late the night before...
A journeyman I was working with gave me a couple of "Bennies" of which I took one, and put the other in my pocket. Well, a short time later, I was waiting for the construction elevator to bring a load of metal pipe upstairs a few floors. I suddenly felt impatient waiting, and proceeded to practically run up the stairwell, packing all that pipe....I was aware that I was suddenly "energized" and did not feel tired at all.....

In those days, I also used to head down to the playground gym after dinner and play pickup basketball... that very same evening, I arrived feeling tired and didn't feel like playing....then I remembered the other pill I stuck in my pocket, and popped it .... My gosh, talk about a difference...I was all over the court that night...even playing "above the rim"....I was so energetic that I felt like I was grabbing every rebound, tirelessly going after the ball, and it seemed like I was running circles around everybody...

Well, when I got home that night, I told my wife how marvelously I played after taking that pill. Her reaction surprised me, and made me think about it in another light....She seemed disgusted, and said if I needed to take drugs to play well, it was not a good thing......I never did that again...although I really wonder if some Pros do it in the NBA....

sjharr

insert something witty...
Silver Member
No matter where you look, in any particular sport, when you get to the upper level of the talent pool there unfortunately tends to be some form of substance abuse.
It seems to me there are only a handful who possess the natural ability, work ethic, mental aptitude and overall desire to be at the top sans chemical enhancement.
It's unfortunate, but all too often true.
Put yourself in these young men and women's shoes; would you?....could you?...pass on the opportunity to become great? To become unforgettable?
To potentially become rich and famous just by swallowing a small pill every know and then. I think it would be a tough choice for most and that's why I think there are only a handful of top performers that are au natural.

Steve H

thefonz

It's not me...it's my ADD
Silver Member
I smoked weed for years but every time I tried playing pool on it my brain was mush and I couldn't make a ball.

every time i think about that girl in your avatar i can't make a ball!:grin-square:

houmatroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in the mid 70"s Disoxin was worth it's weight in gold. They still sell them now but only in 5 mg and probably a good thing. They were very very powerful. one taken Sunday and you were looking for the late movie Tuesday.
Adderall of today is cleaner and works well, but one can easily wear himself out with it. however 2 30 mg adderall and I can spot Secretariat 10 lengths in a mile!
one time Ronnie Allen told myself and Danny medina that he and Bananas had just played 9-8 for 40 hours and neitherhad taken even one single pill. Banana"s looked him square in the eye and said,"What's this we shit"?

There was a former US open winner which we'll keep nameless that use to take Disoxins & you could watch him how methotical he was...Every 3 hours he would take a quarter of a pill...somtimes when he was in a long session you could see him actually looking at his watch from time to time to keep his schedule.

skeptic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If my bad back is hurting - aspirin or ibuprofin.
If I'm tired - caffeine
Even though I'm trying to quit - always have nicotine in me
If I'm at home and not going anywhere - might have some alcohol but I never drink a drop when out of the house

Otherwise - nothing.

theArtofPool

Hi. I'm Art. I love pool.
Honestly, I've never taken drugs to shoot pool before. I've tried many different breathing mechanisms to try to slow down my heart rate and cool my nerves while in a match and before a match. Sometimes though, it's tough. The pressure just gets to you because you want to win so much, or you're playing a very high stakes game. Sometimes the breathing techniques just can't help when you're already on the edge like that. It's funny too when the other guy asks to take a smoke break. You know when he gets back, he's more calm and collected. Then again, that doesn't make me want to take up smoking.

JesseAllred

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I won 12 tournaments in a row after my doctor prescribed me hydrocodone. then I found that jumping up and down and twirling my cue around while Queen's "We will rock you" is playing before each match works too.

Piercyexclusive

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I won 12 tournaments in a row after my doctor prescribed me hydrocodone. then I found that jumping up and down and twirling my cue around while Queen's "We will rock you" is playing before each match works too.

lol...
I never took anything....
I use to play about 12-14 hours a day....
till I was shot at for trying to collect.....
He was the one on drugs.....

ever since that day, I found out my girl was pregnant with my first kid..I quite gambling cause I never want to get shot at again and maybe die..... not afraid of dieing.....afraid of not being there for my kids when they need me and watch them grow up.