Drugs to shoot better

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
I'm wondering if you could shoot better under the influence of drugs. Lots of people claim they shoot better after consuming alcohol. But what about drugs like Adderall that increase concentration and decreases fatigue. Or Anti Anxiety meds that calm your nerves when there's a lot on the line. For your average player it probably wouldn't make a difference, but pro level players...I would think they could stay in the zone longer or not be distracted as easily or not feel the pressure of the shot. Is this or has this been done by the pros?

I plead the fif!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxE_oQBwrdU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS3sG39vAuo&feature=fvw

Last edited:

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People keep talking about coke and crank and whatever else but don't forget there is that other abused drug used, especially in league play .... beta blockers!

I swear on league nights more people are on blood pressure meds to reduce performance anxiety than people running to the bathroom to do lines. It's laughable when you play these guys on non league nights, they choke shots left and right ... never mind Narcotics Anonymous, they need a Toprol Anonymous!

real bartram

Real Cold Steel
Silver Member
Are you kidding? At some of the tournaments starting 4 hours later than scheduled and running practically non stop until done, Adderall is about s common as Blue Chalk!! How do you think they do it.
Why do they run tournaments like this? Once it is done, only first and second place have any money left. The house has the rest!

i dont think this post is right.
some people do these things but not all or even most.

nelldrake

Waterskier/pool addict
Silver Member
Aspirin, Tylenol, Ibuprofen

As a teacher (retired now) I often advised my students to take a couple of aspirin 30 minutes before a major test to ease the tension and allow them to think logically. I almost always take a couple of Advil before a match and "seem" to play better. I laughingly call them "shoot good pills". I realize that technically this is using drugs to enhance performance but there are no highs to come down from and no after effects. Anybody else tried this?:smile:

nelldrake

Waterskier/pool addict
Silver Member
Aspirin, Tylenol, Ibuprofen

As a teacher (retired now) I often advised my students whom I knew to be capable but suffered from brain lock during an exam (test anxiety) to take a couple of aspirin, acetomenaphin, or ibuprofen 30 minutes before an exam. I frequently take a couple of Advil before a match (I call them my "shoot good pills"). I suppose this is using drugs to enhance performance but seems harmless enough to me and has no after effects

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a teacher (retired now) I often advised my students to take a couple of aspirin 30 minutes before a major test to ease the tension and allow them to think logically. I almost always take a couple of Advil before a match and "seem" to play better. I laughingly call them "shoot good pills". I realize that technically this is using drugs to enhance performance but there are no highs to come down from and no after effects. Anybody else tried this?:smile:

half a red bull 2 asprin and 2 oxycotton gets me geared up for every match i play! great minds.......

topcat1953

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Drugs & Pool?

I can personally attest to the poster of this thread, that booze and drugs can and will cover up the problems player's have in performance. They do douse the fear and enhance the focus. But, any player willing to go this route, might as well sell his or her soul to the devil. It is crazy to open that door. With all the education that has been presented to our society over the last 20-25 years, it is insane to think your life will be better if you can add a ball or two to your game with the help of a shot or a sniff or a drink.
Please don't consider this as an avenue to improve your game!
There are much more important things to life than making those balls go in those holes. Enjoy your game as it is. Workout your shortcomings by way of practice. Everyone has missed or choked or lost. Pool will reveal things about yourself you would never know otherwise.
Being a winner doesn't always mean you have to win.
God Bless and stay away from the dope.

Bellhemen

Registered
I think some of you miss understood this post. I'm not picking up a drug habit to play better. I was just curious to know if it was ever done to improve your performance. I wasn't really referring to hardcore drugs like pot, coke, crank, speed, meth, etc. those are all pretty much only good for a high (I think, never tried them). I was wondering more about the pharmaceutical side of it. Doping is common in all the high dollar sports from baseball to bicycling. Perhaps the difference is those competitors are followed around by a doctor who keeps them juiced just right and balanced. Prescriptions are easily available to them and they are probably encouraged by physical trainers, coaches and doctors to use them.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think some of you miss understood this post. I'm not picking up a drug habit to play better. I was just curious to know if it was ever done to improve your performance. I wasn't really referring to hardcore drugs like pot, coke, crank, speed, meth, etc. those are all pretty much only good for a high (I think, never tried them). I was wondering more about the pharmaceutical side of it. Doping is common in all the high dollar sports from baseball to bicycling. Perhaps the difference is those competitors are followed around by a doctor who keeps them juiced just right and balanced. Prescriptions are easily available to them and they are probably encouraged by physical trainers, coaches and doctors to use them.

The answer to your question is yes, a lot.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i dont think this post is right.
some people do these things but not all or even most.

I agree with you and I deserve to be corrected on that point. What i should have said was that I relied o it heavily for many years.

I have seen you play and how you conduct yourself and you should take offense to such a broad statement. It was not aimed at you at all.

Rod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Nell, as one approaches their later years, a little relief from muscle tension can be helpful. :wink: Did you also include your veggie mixture (inside Joke) to your students? :grin:

There are some ----- after effects
Hope this helps ~~~ Rod

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Pills for a better game

Break Pill - $15

9 ball pill - $20

8 Ball Pill - $18

One Pocket Pill - $50

For everyone else......there's pratice. Oh and I only accept paypal. Minimum order of your soul

maxeypad2007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can definitely say that taking aderrall has improved my game. I'd say when I first started taking it I saw a 10-20% improvement.

Its not like I could play for weeks and stay up all night but I can say that it helped me focus.

mair23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you look at people like Shane, Mika, Bartram, Donny Mills, Dominguez, and plenty more, it should be enough proof that drugs aren't needed to play world class pool. All the above are well known fitness fanatics that don't use anything but heart and determination.

I have no idea if you are the personal trainer of all the pros you named above, or if you are there boyfriend :rolleyes:,
but dont say things like because they are fitness fanatics they dont take any pills or drugs or whatever.

SORRY, BUT NODODY KNOWS THAT, until.....................................

...............they all will be tested for doping like pros should be tested all the time.
When I think about american professional sports like baseball or football,
and that they started with steroid tests only a few years ago - sorry, but thats sick. :speechless::banghead:
Let them all do DOPING test about all two to three months - then we will know something.

AND THEN WE WILL REALLY KNOW IT, not thinking to know something.

Hope that opened up some eyes, but I really think there is no top professional in any sports without doping :eek:
At least any sort of it, don´t have to be steroids or hard drugs, but still doping :eek:

Eric"h" ------- only my 2 cent

I have been taking Propanolol (AKA Inderal--a beta blocker) to control hepatic portal hypertension for about 4 1/2 years now. Along the way I discovered that it is an effective agent in managing performance anxiety.

At first it was difficult for me to adjust to the effects. It gave me too much of a feeling of playing with "ice water in my veins". But I have now become used to it, as I have to take the medicine twice a day.

Beta blockers block the receptors for norepinephrine (also known as noradrenaline)thus preventing the physical effects of a person's natural fight or flight response. They are not sedatives, and they can't help anxiety of a purely psychological nature.

The degree of the effects depends on the dosage and the individual's sensitivity to the medication. Peak effect occurs in one to one and a half hours. Ideally, this could allow a player to play at his or her best, without the distraction or interference of excessive fight or flight symptoms i.e. excessive sweating, tremors, nervousness.

Beta blockers will not help the emotional symptoms of performance anxiety (for example, sleep problems or negative inner voices).

Beta blockers should never be taken without a doctor's supervision and then only for legitimate medical needs. In spite of this, many pool, billiards, and snooker players use beta blockers w/o supervision. Other sports where the use of beta blockers is common are archery, and rifle / handgun/ shotgun competition. Beta blockers are also used quite frequently by musicians, comedians, and actors to prevent the negative effects of stage fright.

Beta blockers are on the list of banned substances in World Pool Association sanctioned competition.

On a different note, marijuana can sometimes help in pool, but the effects (as others have already pointed out) can be unpredictable. One type of pot can give you a very focused mental high, while another can reduce you to a cue wielding bowl of giggling idiot mush (Sativa strains vs. Indica strains).

My advice (FWIW) is to stay away from any type of chemical dependency. It's much better to learn to manage performance anxiety thru breathing and meditation than thru substances. As far as alcohol goes, if you like to have a few beers, or a couple of drinks, that's OK. But if you feel you cannot play without it, then IMO you have a problem.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I think a better question would be....How many pool players have had their lives destroyed by drugs and Alcohol...as opposed to how many has it made sucessful pool players?

Glen

Joe Pickens

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been taking Propanolol (AKA Inderal--a beta blocker) to control hepatic portal hypertension for about 4 1/2 years now. Along the way I discovered that it is an effective agent in managing performance anxiety.

At first it was difficult for me to adjust to the effects. It gave me too much of a feeling of playing with "ice water in my veins". But I have now become used to it, as I have to take the medicine twice a day.

Beta blockers block the receptors for norepinephrine (also known as noradrenaline)thus preventing the physical effects of a person's natural fight or flight response. They are not sedatives, and they can't help anxiety of a purely psychological nature.

The degree of the effects depends on the dosage and the individual's sensitivity to the medication. Peak effect occurs in one to one and a half hours. Ideally, this could allow a player to play at his or her best, without the distraction or interference of excessive fight or flight symptoms i.e. excessive sweating, tremors, nervousness.

Beta blockers will not help the emotional symptoms of performance anxiety (for example, sleep problems or negative inner voices).

Beta blockers should never be taken without a doctor's supervision and then only for legitimate medical needs. In spite of this, many pool, billiards, and snooker players use beta blockers w/o supervision. Other sports where the use of beta blockers is common are archery, and rifle / handgun/ shotgun competition. Beta blockers are also used quite frequently by musicians, comedians, and actors to prevent the negative effects of stage fright.

Beta blockers are on the list of banned substances in World Pool Association sanctioned competition.

On a different note, marijuana can sometimes help in pool, but the effects (as others have already pointed out) can be unpredictable. One type of pot can give you a very focused mental high, while another can reduce you to a cue wielding bowl of giggling idiot mush (Sativa strains vs. Indica strains).

My advice (FWIW) is to stay away from any type of chemical dependency. It's much better to learn to manage performance anxiety thru breathing and meditation than thru substances. As far as alcohol goes, if you like to have a few beers, or a couple of drinks, that's OK. But if you feel you cannot play without it, then IMO you have a problem.

Does that mean even if you really have high blood pressure and you need to take the medication for it that you are not allowed to because it is a banned substance?

fasted71465

Fast Ed
Silver Member
that's the way it is i don't condone it

First there was booze years ago, now it is speed and pain killers. Allot of road players abuse and are broke most of the time. Heroin makes the nerves go away:grin:

Junkyarddog

Kelly
Silver Member
Lots of risks taking adderall if you DON'T need it. It supposedly acts just like speed when you take moderate-high amounts. On top of that you often get high blood pressure, enhanced emotions, and stability doesn't usually come in the same sentence. All which are detrimental to a pool game. On top of that if your body builds up a tolerance for it you'll need it to function normally. Then you are taking it just to have the same problems you had before.