Drugs to shoot better

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does that mean even if you really have high blood pressure and you need to take the medication for it that you are not allowed to because it is a banned substance?

Yes, precisely. As a matter of fact one medalist from this year european championship (i wont write his name here) was tested positive on beta-blockers and was stripped of his medal. He had medical condition (heart issue) and had beta-blockers prescription but he didnt get the exception from WADA. His fault...

OPQ

Registered
In a society that takes drugs FOR EVERYTHING it's pretty much a given that people try all sorts of drugs to play better.

From pain pills to anti-depressants to cocaine to majiuana to speed, legal and not, people try everything to get into a good space.

The problem is that chemical help is temporary, it's a solution with diminishing returns as you have to take more and more to get the same effect.

So while yes you can get into the zone with some drugs in the end it's not worth it because it only leads to a roller coaster of performance and leaves you wondering what's you and what's the drugs.

Take what helps you to be healthy, not something to make you play better than you really are.

The best drug in the world is what you get when you win without any chemical help. It's the high you can't buy.

Well put! I've played high and I've played good, but I never fealt it was me that was playing but, in some sense, the drug. Don't know if I play that good now but I'm not on anything and I feel good about my game and what's more important I feel good about myself.

This is a little oftopic but I have to say alcohol is way worse a drug than weed but make no mistake, just like booze, weed can be very bad when abused.

Bellhemen

Registered
I have been taking Propanolol (AKA Inderal--a beta blocker) to control hepatic portal hypertension for about 4 1/2 years now. Along the way I discovered that it is an effective agent in managing performance anxiety.

At first it was difficult for me to adjust to the effects. It gave me too much of a feeling of playing with "ice water in my veins". But I have now become used to it, as I have to take the medicine twice a day.

Beta blockers block the receptors for norepinephrine (also known as noradrenaline)thus preventing the physical effects of a person's natural fight or flight response. They are not sedatives, and they can't help anxiety of a purely psychological nature.

The degree of the effects depends on the dosage and the individual's sensitivity to the medication. Peak effect occurs in one to one and a half hours. Ideally, this could allow a player to play at his or her best, without the distraction or interference of excessive fight or flight symptoms i.e. excessive sweating, tremors, nervousness.

Beta blockers will not help the emotional symptoms of performance anxiety (for example, sleep problems or negative inner voices).

Beta blockers should never be taken without a doctor's supervision and then only for legitimate medical needs. In spite of this, many pool, billiards, and snooker players use beta blockers w/o supervision. Other sports where the use of beta blockers is common are archery, and rifle / handgun/ shotgun competition. Beta blockers are also used quite frequently by musicians, comedians, and actors to prevent the negative effects of stage fright.

Beta blockers are on the list of banned substances in World Pool Association sanctioned competition.

Thanks for your post, this is what I was asking about. I didn't know that there were banned substances in the World Pool Association or any pool organization for that matter. Is drug testing common at these or other tournaments? Also, what other prescription medication is banned?

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
> I've tried playing after smoking herb. My concentration and creativity go thru the roof,my vision goes to shit,so it doesn't work for me if the game matters.

On the other hand,and more to the point of the man-made substances,I was told by one of our very greatest players that if you gambled for big money in the 70's and most of the 80's that if you weren't jacked up,you probably lost because you could bet your ASS your opponent was.

One of the most amazing feats I've witnessed,especially early in my involvment with pool,was watching a guy run out an 8-ahead bar box set in 12 minutes after snorting a literally golf ball-sized wad of coke. At one point,he shot a 9 ball in so hard the corner pocket changed SHAPE. Tommy D.

For real... you guys take your "performance enhancers" and ill outperform your enhancements without them.

Reminds me of the last time a guy got all coked up and thought he could then beat me ... he ended up owing me money ...at the time I wasn't drinking or even smoking weed .

Joe Pickens

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, precisely. As a matter of fact one medalist from this year european championship (i wont write his name here) was tested positive on beta-blockers and was stripped of his medal. He had medical condition (heart issue) and had beta-blockers prescription but he didnt get the exception from WADA. His fault...

Then I take it you are allowed to use pills for high blood pressure if you get the exception from WADA?

houmatroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i dont think this post is right.
some people do these things but not all or even most.

It's not widely discussed but It is more common than people think...I know many top players & shortstops that will only match up for big $ with 1 adderall & a couple of pain pills...the old timers use to use dioxens..not sure of the spelling...All I know is when I'm betting on a player I feel better if they in whatever zone they play the best whether it's chemically indused or not...The ones that do play on the natural make it easier as to not have to fade it as to if they past the peak time etc...Kinda like when guys walk around being a ripped 250 lbs & swear they not & never juiced..JMO from what i've seen more times than i can remember.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I think a better question would be....How many pool players have had their lives destroyed by drugs and Alcohol...as opposed to how many has it made sucessful pool players?

Glen

Dam right glenn....how many friends in the pool family have we all lost over the years to drugs and alcohol?

It's sad to see the ones that waste away......

TO EVERYONE:

don't ever think that hard drugs, pharmaceuticals and alcohol wont burn you up....I've seen better, stronger, bigger, smarter men burn up like a rocketship in the atmosphere b/c of it.

It might be sparkles for a moment but it always fizzles out.....and in the end all your left with is darkness.

Two of the all time greatest to ever pick up a cueing stick:

Ralf Greenleaf
Alex "the Hurricane" Higgins

Went from hero's to zeros just off the booze. Booze can't hold a candle to some of the stuff we put in our bodies now days.

and I can name, name after name after name after name.....most dead, some still alive, and some that are headed towards a hole in the ground.
Tho I will stop right there b/c I don't want to hurt no feelings and refuse to put those struggling with these things currently on Public TV, and the point is clear already.

-Grey Ghost-

Does that mean even if you really have high blood pressure and you need to take the medication for it that you are not allowed to because it is a banned substance?

No. There is an exception made for individuals who take beta blockers under a doctor's supervision for legitimate medical reasons.

Then I take it you are allowed to use pills for high blood pressure if you get the exception from WADA?

From the WADA site:

"The World Anti-Doping Code (Code) recognizes the right of athletes to the best possible treatment for any medical condition. If you are in need of medication, please contact your International Federation or NADO to find out more about the criteria and procedures to apply for a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE). More information on the TUE process can be found in the Science and Medicine section.

Before applying for a TUE, it is recommended that you consult your doctor to consider possible alternative treatments that do not involve the use of a prohibited substance or method. If such an alternative treatment exists, your TUE request will likely be denied and the whole process can only delay your recovery."

Thanks for your post, this is what I was asking about. I didn't know that there were banned substances in the World Pool Association or any pool organization for that matter. Is drug testing common at these or other tournaments? Also, what other prescription medication is banned?

List of banned substances:
http://www.wada-ama.org/Documents/W...hibited-list/WADA_Prohibited_List_2010_EN.pdf

World Confederation of Billiard Sports Anti-Doping Regulations: (The WPA is a member organization of the WCBS):
http://www.billiard-wcbs.org/Doping.pdf

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Drugs and many other things can improve your performance at the pool table and I'm sure that most everyone has chosen their enhancer of choice. Good diet and exercise is the best and safest road to follow.
Drugs have a habit of helping in one area and hurting in others.

You can go to our local Whole Foods and purchase a variety of different products that can and will enhance your performance on the pool table. Your local health food store has plenty of enhancers. Just go have a conversation with the manager of the store and he will fill you in on all of the supplements available. Just remember that "natural" supplements can hurt you as well.

I've started drinking the cold-pressed juices from Whole Foods, but don't tell the GingerBread Man as I don't want him to run any faster than he already does. :wink:

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some players used to take a pill to get there mixture right. I think too much pill was bad but when the mix was right they probably got a performance boost. I think its real name was a dizoxcin or something like that, it is a serious perscription type pill raised there focus and energy, I think its legitimate use was for narcolepsy so the pill really wakes up the user.

mair23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I saw somebody posted the links to the forbidden substances, but the problem is more like.....................
I love america, but you allowed to much for to long - like you can see on your steroid scandals over the last years.
Sorry guys, but steroids can be seen easily on tests for more then 20, 30 or even 40 years now.

And I don´t think that there was ever a control on pool players in the states - or am I wrong. :confused:
Over here in Europe we had many doping controls over the last 6 or 7 years :)

Eric"h" ------- thinks that we start to go in the right direction

Last edited:

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not widely discussed but It is more common than people think...I know many top players & shortstops that will only match up for big $ with 1 adderall & a couple of pain pills...the old timers use to use dioxens..not sure of the spelling...All I know is when I'm betting on a player I feel better if they in whatever zone they play the best whether it's chemically indused or not...The ones that do play on the natural make it easier as to not have to fade it as to if they past the peak time etc...Kinda like when guys walk around being a ripped 250 lbs & swear they not & never juiced..JMO from what i've seen more times than i can remember.

Back in the mid 70"s Disoxin was worth it's weight in gold. They still sell them now but only in 5 mg and probably a good thing. They were very very powerful. one taken Sunday and you were looking for the late movie Tuesday.
Adderall of today is cleaner and works well, but one can easily wear himself out with it. however 2 30 mg adderall and I can spot Secretariat 10 lengths in a mile!
one time Ronnie Allen told myself and Danny medina that he and Bananas had just played 9-8 for 40 hours and neitherhad taken even one single pill. Banana"s looked him square in the eye and said,"What's this we shit"?