Earl Crushes Morra in 9-Ball

StuartTKelley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl is easy to love or hate but, to beat him when he's playing his brand of pool isn't an easy thing to do. He gives the Holy Ghost the 6.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
The one thing that puzzled me most is how Anyone put Morra a favorite to win. I'm not saying that he couldn't win..... but a favorite to win? Morra is a great player but unless Earl went into full blown meltdown I couldn't see Morra being even a slight favorite. Are they still playing the 10b or was it 2- out of 3?

Last edited:

JLange

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The one thing that puzzled me most is how Anyone put Morra a favorite to win. I'm not saying that he couldn't win..... but a favorite to win? Morra is a great player but unless Earl went into full blown meltdown I couldn't see Morra being even a slight favorite. Are the still playing the 10b or was it 2- out of 3?

10-Ball is tonight.

IMO you shouldn't be talking when your opponent is at the table unless you speak real low and you know he cant hear you.
And if he asks you to quit talking you should say no problem apologize and shutup.
I think Earl is a circus act and it sharks people.
Hes a great player and a legend and all that , but so what? show some respect for your opponent.

Morra wasn't bothered by it in the least. They all want Earl to talk to himself and ***** about equipment. Then some challenge him and get him on tilt a few games which happened when John spoke up during Wednesday s bank event and more so last night.

Problem is when Earl thinks the whole room hates him and the table does too, he can flip the switch and go into beast mode. He did that last night closing the last 6 games or so like the boss. He will be the boss tonight. He got more talent in his finger than John does at this point.

Imagine a fair spot vs Earl for him going to 21. Even with alternating breaks I would say 21 to 17 is close. Even then if there is a blowout 9 out of 10 times it will be Earl. His cueball is the best in pool. If he needs shape he can get there several ways with authority. When he's on he is the only player in the room.

Anyone think Morra was still shaken by his choke on the 8 in the World cup? I'm not saying that's why he lost, but it would knock my confidence for sure.

No you look at it the wrong way. He just isn't at the elite level and him dogging the 8 is evidence of that. He has been playing all these events for several years and what has he won? Years ago some Canadian titles and some 8 ball event. He doesn't even finish high in events. No to be rude but I don't see how he can get to all these events.

gordml

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone think Morra was still shaken by his choke on the 8 in the World cup? I'm not saying that's why he lost, but it would knock my confidence for sure.

I was thinking the same thing. Interesting to note that in that match vs Germany everyone had at least one world championship except John.

and now hes matched up with a 3 time world champion and a 5 time US Open champion.
he hasnt been playing well -
It looks like hes feeling the pressure ....

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking the same thing. Interesting to note that in that match vs Germany everyone had at least one world championship except John.

and now hes matched up with a 3 time world champion and a 5 time US Open champion.
he hasnt been playing well -
It looks like hes feeling the pressure ....

Maybe he's just not ready to play against that level of caliber yet...and expect to come out on top.

SLIM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no you look at it the wrong way. He just isn't at the elite level and him dogging the 8 is evidence of that. He has been playing all these events for several years and what has he won? Years ago some canadian titles and some 8 ball event. He doesn't even finish high in events. No to be rude but i don't see how he can get to all these events.

i guess that 2012 derby city classic 9 ball banks championship don't count for much in your opinion.
Maybe cause he beat such a chump in the finals.

Slim

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
John Morra can flat out play.
He has won against many a great player.

As far as John dogging the 8 ball in the world cup. There were world champs that puked on shots in the WC. Everybody dogs it, Shane,Mika,Earl,Miz,Sigel, etc. there are no exceptions. it's part of competition.

Karl Boyes dogged it on the 8 ball, a fairly easy shot, left the 8 safe behind the 9 on the rail, the only other freakin ball on the table, then ends up winning the event.

9 ball being the dumb ass game it is, allows you to dog or miss easy shots and be rewarded. Then you hold up the trophy.

Do you think it will affect Karl dogging the 8 ball? I doubt it, Everybody dogs.

scttybee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you're rude if you tell your opponent to keep quiet while you're shooting????

Is it ok to talk to spectators or anyone while your opponent is shooting? Why does it matter that he wasn't talking to john?

The way he said it was with a lack of respect...manners dictate you ask not tell .

no it isnt but earl wasnt finished sitting down when this started

i guess that 2012 derby city classic 9 ball banks championship don't count for much in your opinion.
Maybe cause he beat such a chump in the finals.

Slim

We are talking rotation pool btw.

Just Wednesday he got handled by Earl in banks. Johnny missed easy banks over and over. He sold out more than Walmart. When Earl was likely to miss he played 2 way safe....like any decent bank pool player should.

He has been stuck at his level for several years...it looks like he is slipping backwards. You want an honest appraisal then there it is. He looked shaky as a lamb yesterday. If he plays lights out tonight. ..great but I'm betting the other way. If you want him getting to 18 you got action just PM me. Learned long ago you can have an opinion about anyone's play but it means more when you bet it.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What happened in the 10 Ball last night? I gave up on the stream after the break -Morra was up 11-10

JC

Coos Cues
I wish people wouldn't do that as well.

It's really annoying to see people using quotes to ascribe words to people who didn't say those words.

How do you know?

Were you there when he didn't say that stuff?

JC

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Nobody knows what I know and nobody will ever know what I know because it is built into my body and cannot be taught." ~Earl Strickland

That sounds like an exact quote from what I remember. He was hittings balls after the match

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Morra won I believe 21-16, he played very well. :smile:

I think the score was 15-13 Earl when I went to bed and it was absolutely world class 10 ball up to that point. I'm surprised Morra won by that margin.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That sounds like an exact quote from what I remember. He was hittings balls after the match

I think everyone agrees Earl said that. It is the other two quotes that sound nothing like him imho.

I also heard earl say what i think led to Rogan's beautiful/ugly mimic line

Earl said in front of many at the BCA "Pool is a wonderful game, a wonderful game. It's the PEOPLE, It's the PEOPLE (his emphasis)....."

At least for that time he used discretion and just let it trail off without finishing his thought about pool people but whatever it was, it wasnt going to be complimentary-perhaps he had finished this thought before or after when there were not as many people around..

Last edited:

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
The way he said it was with a lack of respect...manners dictate you ask not tell .
The time to ask politely is when somebody is doing something they may not realize has a negative effect on you. When somebody is blatantly doing something that is egregious and rude, and that they know they shouldn't be doing, and knowing that it has a negative effect on you, and they simply don't care and choose to do it anyway, well asking time has long passed. It's telling time now, not asking time.

no it isnt but earl wasnt finished sitting down when this started
His turn ended when he missed the ball or scratched. You don't just get to stand there and hold court as long as you feel like it and then go and sit down and stop talking whenever you feel like it. When you turn is over you immediately sit down and shut up and stay still, and his turn was over. John was justified in saying something about it.