Efren and John Brumback

satman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do these 2 players have something in common? Maybe from way back in time, some ancestry? I always hear about Efren, and how humble he is, with his I got lucky line. And it's true. A great Champion. A great role model. An all around nice person, who is feared, but loved.

Shortly after the bank tourney ended, I was right outside the main doorway, where players would go to smoke. I had 2 DCC posters, and was getting a few autographs for 2 of my sponsors. I asked Johnny to sign them, and he said sure, no problem. As he took the pen, and started to bend down, he stopped and looked at me. He said, "you sure you want me to sign this"? I was a bit dumbfounded, because he was dead serious. I told him, "well yea, you're the number 1 bank pool player in the world". He still don't realize, that he is a world class pool player.

The next day, I was sitting out in the smoking area, killing some time. A guy asked to sit at my table while he smoked. He was from Owensboro Kentucky. We got to talking about Nick Varner, and some of the Kentucky players. He proceeded to tell me of asking John Brumback for an autograph once. He had known John for a long time, and John said pretty much the same thing to him. Asking him, "are you sure you want me to sign this?"
Johnny still looks at himself, as just a guy from Kentucky. A lot like Efren, in his quiet way. Soft spoken and modest about his ability. But as deadly as they come, when you play them at their game.

I had a couple of friends come down for the weekend, and left Sunday morning. I told them they truly missed something, not seeing Johnny play those last few matches. He truly is World Class, as a player, and as a person.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Self assured

I like the way he conducts himself. Without bravado or bragging. He has a non confrontational confidence that is refreshing. Seems like a very honorable man.

He sounds a great deal like Nick Varner. Voice and tempo. Go figure.

3railkick

maxeypad2007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Varner and Brumback are both class acts.

I had the pleasure of growing up in Kentucky around these top notch players. On more than one occasion they both reached out to a lot of the up and coming players (myself included) at the time and showed us a thing or two.

houmatroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years back in New Orleans !

Do these 2 players have something in common? Maybe from way back in time, some ancestry? I always hear about Efren, and how humble he is, with his I got lucky line. And it's true. A great Champion. A great role model. An all around nice person, who is feared, but loved.

Shortly after the bank tourney ended, I was right outside the main doorway, where players would go to smoke. I had 2 DCC posters, and was getting a few autographs for 2 of my sponsors. I asked Johnny to sign them, and he said sure, no problem. As he took the pen, and started to bend down, he stopped and looked at me. He said, "you sure you want me to sign this"? I was a bit dumbfounded, because he was dead serious. I told him, "well yea, you're the number 1 bank pool player in the world". He still don't realize, that he is a world class pool player.

The next day, I was sitting out in the smoking area, killing some time. A guy asked to sit at my table while he smoked. He was from Owensboro Kentucky. We got to talking about Nick Varner, and some of the Kentucky players. He proceeded to tell me of asking John Brumback for an autograph once. He had known John for a long time, and John said pretty much the same thing to him. Asking him, "are you sure you want me to sign this?"
Johnny still looks at himself, as just a guy from Kentucky. A lot like Efren, in his quiet way. Soft spoken and modest about his ability. But as deadly as they come, when you play them at their game.

I had a couple of friends come down for the weekend, and left Sunday morning. I told them they truly missed something, not seeing Johnny play those last few matches. He truly is World Class, as a player, and as a person.

I remember when he came to New Orleans & played in the New Orleans classic & the Big Easy & my friend played him in the tourney...Johnny won the 1st game..then played a jam up safe the 2nd game...my friend Jason Turner had to jump bank at it...shit a ball in & got out...dry broke...then didn't shoot again till he was down 7-1....he had to kick at a ball...he got a good hit but didnt get safe back...then John broke & run out the hill game to win the set 9-1 and apologizes to my friend & says sorry...I know these barboxes are a joke...but was a class act even way back then.

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
Doesn't Brumback work full time as well? I know that Truman is in the concrete business and I'm 99.9% certain that John Brumback also works a full time job.

It's one thing to be a great player who has sponsorship or who works in a pool room. It's quite another for these guys to play world class pool and still be working full time!

I'm real happy for Mr Brumback!

1on1pooltournys

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sam,

Brumback taught me how to jump over a ball with a jump cue when I was about 12 years old in Lexington, Kentucky. I idolized him and followed him around for the entire length of that tournament. To this day we still talk about it and he remembers it vividly. He is a great guy and is deserving of his rewards in the pool world. He is also very blessed with a wife and at least one child that support him in all he does.

1on1pooltournys

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Furthermore...

Next time somebody has a chance to chat with John Brumback, ask him about how he got started playing banks. It is an interesting story.....I'll leave it for him to tell. :smile:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
John Brumback

You started a thread which happened to have John Brumback's name. (BTW, it was nice meeting you at the DCC.)

That saves me the trouble of starting a new thread on John's behalf.

One of the things that I try to do is to take at least one pool lesson from a professional player while at a big tournament. Shoot, I'll often take a pool lesson from a player if he's passing through town.

Normally at a big pool tournament, it is difficult to get a really good player to give you a lesson as they are trying to keep their game together. Apparently some think giving lessons is not something they care to do at big events like the DCC.

I've often inquired about taking lessons from John Brumback, probably as far back as three years ago.

When I passed by him one of the many times that I saw him at the DCC, I decided to ask him if he was interested. I started out by introducing myself and letting him know what I wanted but giving him an easy-out if he wanted to decline on giving the lesson. I asked if he was interested in giving me a one hour pool lesson on banks, acknowledging that I realized that he may be too busy to give one at the event. John didn't blink an eye and simply said he had a few hours between his next match and if I could find a private table, he would be happy to provide the lesson on banks.

John and I set up many different shots and basically I asked him to tell me what he was thinking and how he would execute the bank. Time after time he described the shot and the BEST way to make the shot. Not only did he discuss the intimate details of how and why he shot the shot the way he did but he noticed something wrong with my follow-stroke and made a suggestion as to how to correct it. As soon as I corrected that problem, balls started to fall. It appears that the stroke problem was also a problem with on all follow shots so now I may have improved not only my bank game but follow shots of any kind.

To say that John is a nice guy is an understatement. To say that he knows what he is doing and why is to say that he is "spot on".

I chose the AZ Room as the best place to have the lesson and there were several AZBers who happened to be there while the lesson was going on. Everyone listened and no one interupted except my buddy and John (who didn't know the guy was my buddy) told him that I was paying for the lesson. I laughed inside at that and mentioned that the intruder was my buddy and John promptly apologized to my buddy.

The lesson was well worth the money and while I am recovering from the 9 days of abuse, I will be thinking about his suggestions and look forward to putting them to much needed practice.

FTR, John is one of the many pros that reads this forum but doesn't post.

JoeyA

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my $.02

I was watching John's last 9-ball match on Saturday. At one point John shot a three ball that went two rails and into a side pocket. Several people around me were praising the shot and John's banking ability. Right after the match, which knocked John out of the 9-ball with his second loss, I asked him about that shot, because I had thought he had played a two-way shot with a safety in mind if the 3 ball didn't go in the side pocket. He immediately said that he was just shooting a safety and hadn't been playing the bank at all. Now how many pool players do you know that would have spurned the compliment and confessed that the 3 ball going into the side pocket was just luck. This is just a small thing, but it is so typical of him to tell the simple truth rather than accept an undeserved compliment. I'll bet Efren would have acted in a similar manner.

I know that winning the banks and the Master of the Table in 2009 was the high point in his life and winning the banks back to back is icing on the cake.

I think I'll start calling him John BACK2BACK Brumback.:smile:

By the way, Terry, he does have a full-time job.

tigerseye

Kenny Wilson
Silver Member
Varner and Brumback are both class acts.

I had the pleasure of growing up in Kentucky around these top notch players. On more than one occasion they both reached out to a lot of the up and coming players (myself included) at the time and showed us a thing or two.

I'd like to add a 3rd Kentuckian to that list...Mr Shannon Daulton. He is World Class and then some.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Why don't we hear more about John? Does he not play many good sized tourneys? I don't recall seeing him at the Open the last 2 years, nor gracing any non-Derby headlines on AZB's home page...

Regardless, my hats off to him!

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
:eek:ink::eek:ink::eek:ink:
Why don't we hear more about John? Does he not play many good sized tourneys? I don't recall seeing him at the Open the last 2 years, nor gracing any non-Derby headlines on AZB's home page...

Regardless, my hats off to him!

John reads THIS forum but doesn't post.

He like many professional players, sees the attacks that are perpetrated by the few and just doesn't want to be involved for that reason alone.

I used to resent it when a player didn't give back to the fans that are here on AZ Main Forum but no more.

I completely understand their reluctance to get down and wrestle in the mud with the rest of us. :eek:ink::eek:ink:

JoeyA

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
They're both super cool cats, that's really all i can say. Most champions are like that. Humility is what keeps them great.

sliprock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John is a class act. I always pull for him unless I'm playing him. He's probably my favorite player to watch as far as stroke and mechanics.

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
John is a super guy. I got to hang around with him quite a bit the last few days and had a lot of fun. All of the compliments he is receiving are justified and he is deserving of praise both as a player and a person. He is a humble guy but he is a stone killer on the table.

Daniel

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
You're so lucky!

John is a super guy. I got to hang around with him quite a bit the last few days and had a lot of fun. All of the compliments he is receiving are justified and he is deserving of praise both as a player and a person. He is a humble guy but he is a stone killer on the table.

Daniel

Daniel,
You get to pal around with Shannon, hang out with John Brumback....I envy you in a good kind of way!

I especially like the description you gave him in your last sentence. What more could a pool fan ask for! :)

slop stroke

I drink, theyfore I ain't
Silver Member
more piling on

I too saw the Banks final with Brumback. I don't think there was any way anyone was going to beat that man in the banks competition. There are few in the world that get to enjoy being the number 1 of anything, and in a game with so many egos on steroids, how does he stay so humble?

And wow, did you see his final bank of the competition, well you just have to see it.

Anyhoo, I congratulated the man for his accomplishments and in his humble, almost apolgetic way, looked me in the eye, with a warm smile barely audibly, and Clint Eastwood-like style, simply said "thank you very much."

Very cool!

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A "Thank you" from John Brumback

I trade emails with John from time to time and I sent him a link to this thread. After reading through the thread, he wrote me back to say, "Man,They are comparing me with Efren!! Well I've got the big head for sure now. That is too cool! If you get back on there could you tell them how much I appreciate all those compliments. Those are some kind words."

I know he doesn't post here and I don't blame him at all for that as I've seen what has happened with several of the pros who posted here for a while, but I know he would want me to pass along his thanks for the compliments he was given in this thread.

By the way, I'm not sure he wants me to put this out there, but he has been planning a series of instructional DVDs on banking and banking for one-pocket players. Knowing Johnny, I am sure there will be some terrific information in these DVDs, so just keep your eyes open for them.