Efren Reyes vs. Ronnie Allen

Tommy Joe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hemicudas said:
I think most SHOULD agree that no one in history kicks better than Efren.

Just my two cents here. If one-pocket were a more popular game you can bet this discussion would include the names of more than just two people. I could be wrong, but I think the better pool-player would also (in most cases), be the better one-pocket player, if he played it as much as the guy who favors or plays it almost exclusively. Ronnie Allen was good at all games, but one-pocket is a specialty game where really good players can become really great players by dominating a less populated field. It's like the world's 100th ranked downhill skier loses his leg in an accident and goes on to become the best one-legged skier in the world. Bad analogy? Maybe. But I like it. Thanks for reading.

Tommy Joe

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Waiting for Jay's post

I was waiting for my pal, Jay's incisive opinions before I responded to this thread. His opinions deserve comments.
the Beard

jay helfert said:
How good did Ronnie play? DAMN GOOD! Too dominate One Pocket in an era of many great players is quite an accomplishment. And, in my opinion, those great players (Jersey Red, Cornbread, Kelly, Shorty, Ervolino, Taylor, Bugs) were every bit as good as the best players today.

I couldnt agree more.

Jay:Could Ronnie bank? He played a ball (10-8 or 8-7) under Bugs.

No, Jay, I played Ronnie 9 to 7 banks in Calif. He was a great banker playing One Pocket. He didnt have a clue playing the game of banks.

Jay:Moves? He had them all, and could probably teach Effie a few things. Run out ability? Forget about eight and out. Ronnie usually had to run ten and out to win. And he ran the ten over and over.

I played Ronnie his 10 to my 8 in Hot Springs, AR. He ran 10 and out on me six games in a row. One of the games he owed one and had to run eleven. I didnt stick around to see game seven.

Jay:Combinations? Not even close between Ronnie and Efren. Efren wouldn't even shoot the combinations Ronnie would fire at. Knowledge of the pack? Again Ronnie is the favorite here.

I cant disagree.

Jay:Kicking ability? Sorry, I have to give the nod to Ronnie once again. Over and over again, he would kick his way out of traps or begin runs with an amazing kick.

The proviso you should have included, Jay is, Ronnie was the best OFFENSIVE KICKER ever. Efren is the greatest kicker in the history of pool, but Ronnie used kicks to make balls and run out, he had more imagination with his kicks.

Jay: Ronnie had the heart to bury a guy when he had 'em down. He was a fearless gambler. And no bet was too big for him. In fact, the higher the bet, the better he played. Once again, Ronnie had HEART!

Something nobody hardly ever talks about is competive spirit. When you get on the table with someone, and the air around you feels like you are under water and your body feels like it is being attacked by a thousand gremlins, that is an indication that you are attempting to play someone with a monstrous competetive spirit. That's what is was like to play Ronnie or Bugs or Artie. Efren hasnt had to deal with that. IMO there has been no one around like that in Efies era. He has dominated uncontestedly.

Jay:So what does Efren do better than Ronnie? He can run balls when they are down table better than anyone I've ever seen. His position play is without equal.
That is probably his strongest suit! And maybe the best explanation of his advantage. When I played Efren, and when I shot balls up the table, I hit them with a speed so that they would freeze to the back rails or lay awfully close. If the ball was a diamond off the back rail, Efren could get behind it and make it.

Jay:So who do I think is the better player. It is like comparing Nicklaus and Tiger. My personal belief is that the Ronnie of the 70's would have made Efren's head spin. He had a way of taking the heart out of a guy. Efren has a way of looking for the exit if the game looks a little too tough. Ronnie had absolutely no quit in him. He was a bulldog!

With the 10 to 8 spot in Chicago, I beat Ronnie the first 11 games in a row for $200 a game. He did not quit, and ended up winning six games back!

Jay:And if anyone believes that Efren could have spotted Ronnie, they're dreaming.

Better player? Efren of course. But who would beat who is the question.
Another thing nobody mentions is Bugs, Ronnie and Artie would be learning from Efren as they played over a period of time.
Who would I bet on? I would be betting with my heart, and of course I would go with my guys, and it wouldnt be the first time I could get broke.

the Beard
PS
Quote Hermicudas: For over 20 years, nobody would play him even-up one pocket. Facts speak for themselves, in 1971 Ronnie grabbed the microphone at the beginning of the Hustlers Tournament in Johnston City Illinois, offered everybody there 10 to 8 in one pocket --no takers.
Since I was there in 71, along with me, was Harold Worst, Bugs Rucker and Eddie Taylor. Now I couldnt have used 10 to 8 but what about them?

Last edited:

KCarson

Land Of Fruits and Nuts
Silver Member
Right On!

Island Drive said:
Except "in the air" Ronnie would 'own em'. I saw Ronnie run 8 and out two in a row in the air giving a guy 8/5, it was absurd to watch, one could not even concieve doing this. I have to agree on the banking issue, RA the first guy I ever heard call it 'Whitey' was rock solid at the bank, in more ways than one.

Emotionally I would be rooting hard for Ronnie but intellectually it would seem that Efren would give him all he could handle and maybe even more than he could handle. Believe me - Ronnie would be my favorite by far!!

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I never saw a person like Ronnie move more balls at once offensively, it was common to see 8 or 9 balls move all towards Ronnies hole on one shot, and because he was so good he also learned the game one handed, in the air (he was the best I ever saw) on a 9' table just to get action. He had carisma and an incredible gift of gab. I looked at him as the golden bear of our era, and what an entertainer, when there was action and RA was involved you'd better watch your wallet especially if you were not directly involved in the game.

gulfportdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Island Drive said:
I never saw a person like Ronnie move more balls at once offensively, it was common to see 8 or 9 balls move all towards Ronnies hole on one shot, and because he was so good he also learned the game one handed, in the air (he was the best I ever saw) on a 9' table just to get action. He had carisma and an incredible gift of gab. I looked at him as the golden bear of our era, and what an entertainer, when there was action and RA was involved you'd better watch your wallet especially if you were not directly involved in the game.
Reading Jay's and Island's comments made me recall one very important facet of Ronnie's game which would just about even the scale, or even tip it his way against Efren -- hypothetically-- with both of them in their prime. In an Email from John H., it all came back to me:

If you were unlucky enough to be gambling against RA on the green baize, you were treated to a virtual wall of hustle, con and shark, which was relentless. All delivered at a very high energy level, which tended to wither his oponents. I imagine just about everyone who played Allen in his prime mentally gave him the nuts going in, whether they knew it or not. In effect, they spotted him 1-2 balls, just because he had the psychological advantage. Hell, the times I was around him in a poolroom, I wouldn't even enter into a conversation with him. I knew he'd find a way to get me into a game that I could not lose-- then beat me.

So if you combined the psychology along with Ronnie's near-perfect playing, I doubt if Efren could have possibly prevailed. Efren may very well be the most complete expert pool player of all time, but a opponent needed alot more than that to beat Ronnie Allen.

Doc

thebighurt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
First of all, I know Ronnie Scott and he is NOT the final authority on Ronnie's game, or anything else for that matter. He is very opinionated and more often way off base in my own opinion. He could play a little himself once upon a time.

How good did Ronnie play? DAMN GOOD! Too dominate One Pocket in an era of many great players is quite an accomplishment. And, in my opinion, those great players (Jersey Red, Cornbread, Kelly, Shorty, Ervolino, Taylor, Bugs) were every bit as good as the best players today. I'd like to hear from Buddy, Allen H., Sigel, Nick and Rempe who all saw them play.

Could Ronnie bank? He played a ball (10-8 or 8-7) under Bugs. Moves? He had them all, and could probably teach Effie a few things. Run out ability? Forget about eight and out. Ronnie usually had to run ten and out to win. And he ran the ten over and over. Shotmaking? No one could make a tough shot to continue a run or make the out ball like Ronnie.

Combinations? Not even close between Ronnie and Efren. Efren wouldn't even shoot the combinations Ronnie would fire at. Knowledge of the pack? Again Ronnie is the favorite here. Kicking ability? Sorry, I have to give the nod to Ronnie once again. Over and over again, he would kick his way out of traps or begin runs with an amazing kick.

And Ronnie had the heart to bury a guy when he had 'em down. He was a fearless gambler. And no bet was too big for him. In fact, the higher the bet, the better he played. Once again, Ronnie had HEART!

So what does Efren do better than Ronnie? He can run balls when they are down table better than anyone I've ever seen. His position play is without equal. I love how he lays the cue ball in the perfect opening time after time.

So who do I think is the better player. It is like comparing Nicklaus and Tiger. My personal belief is that the Ronnie of the 70's would have made Efren's head spin. He had a way of taking the heart out of a guy. Efren has a way of looking for the exit if the game looks a little too tough. Ronnie had absolutely no quit in him. He was a bulldog!

And if anyone believes that Efren could have spotted Ronnie, they're dreaming. Giving Ronnie the break was suicide. He would give up balls and take the break. It was one of his gaff games.

As beautiful as Efren's One Pocket game is, Ronnie had more weapons. And knew how to use them. Yes, Ronnie may have made the statement attributed to Billy. This is after Efren beat Ronnie giving him weight at Hard Times (8-7 and the break). But it was an old, tired Ronnie that Efren beat.

The 30 to 45 year old Ronnie may have been the best One Pocket player who ever lived. And that is my humble opinion.

Just FYI Jay, Buddy Hall also told me efren is the best 1 pocket player ever.

titanic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Impossible Task

There is no way that question can be answered because it is an impossibility. The question who was better Ali or Marciano, Marciano or Louis, or the one I spent many wasted hours discussing who was better Mosconi or whoever?

It is fun to discuss but that is why Baskin-Robbins has 31 flavors of Ice Cream. Everybody has a different opinion. I take umbrage when the media trys to make the players today Reyes, Woods, Tyson the best brfore they had proved themselves. Tiger Woods is a great golfer but not the greatest that ever lived. We saw Tyson go down the tubes. Reyes is a great player but everyone wants to prematurely make him THE GREATEST.

What he is is the best one pocket player at this time.

How would Tiger have done with a like set of clubs like Bobby Jones and the courses conditions of the same era.

How would Efren have played with the same equipment Ronnie used to play with. There was no Simonis, no plastic balls.He might have only been a mediocre player under those different conditions.

In closing it is a shame that videos and digital cameras were not available when Ronnie was in his prime We only have the recollections of some older guys including myself. But I can tell you this for a fact! At the time Ronnie was the most colorful player in existence. Did he shark people ? Of course he did but no one ever minded it. He was the show everyone wanted to watch.

I saw him in L.A. at Millikens come into the pool hall after the bars had closed and gave a guy this game. He took the breaks and raced to 7. If he did not get out the other guy won. Beat 4 players in a row at that game.

And for the record IMHO if the game lasted 10 minutes Ronnie would have had the triple dead nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw him in L.A. at Millikens come into the pool hall after the bars had closed and gave a guy this game. He took the breaks and raced to 7. If he did not get out the other guy won. Beat 4 players in a row at that game.

Not sure i get that.
He had to break, make a ball and then run out or he lost that game?

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
titanic said:
How would Efren have played with the same equipment Ronnie used to play with. There was no Simonis, no plastic balls.He might have only been a mediocre player under those different conditions.

Efren has been playing since he was a kid. He grew up playing on tough equipment, and very slow tables too.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
And RA grew up playing the great players out of the depression era, that was quite a group.

titanic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Strong game

Yes. At Millikens he gave up that weight. If he did not make a ball on the break his opponent scored a bead on the wire.

If you watched him play one-handed you went home figuring you had a weak game.

As I said before it's impossible to make that comparison because the conditions are not equitable.

Case in point......how do you think Efren would have played on a 5 x 10 ?

Ronnie was a pretty strong pay ball on a 6 x 12 player. Saw memorable ring games at Cochran's in San Francisco.

I think it is a shame how Ronnie is today and I am sure that has a lot to with people being reticent to give him the credit he deserves.

Voodoo Daddy

One Pocket 101
Not sittin the fence but...

HitHrdNDraw said:
Efren vs. ronnie one pocket? who wouldnt pay to see that... Ronnie allen circa 1970's vs efren now... i think efren gives him at least 9-7/8-7 ... i don't think the old timers could fade the offensive force ... what used to be moves efren has turned into 8 and outs... We know what billy incardona thinks... what do you think?

At the DCC in 2001 I watched Ronnie get 10-2/10-3 from Joyner, RA playing one handed and it wasnt close. RA was in Complete control against one of the modern day superstars of one pocket shooting 2 rail banks and 2 rail kicks with one paw. Yes, I did make $$$.

BUT....

A older player from the NY/NJ area {Jersey Joe} told me the following story recently; Efren was in NJ playing Allen Hopkins playing some one pocket, after 3 games Allen told Joe that "This is the smartest one pocket player I ever played". When a guy like Hopkins says that about a player, shouldnt your cash be bet on Efren?

Bottom line...who can contest either mans ability...couldnt they be co-holders of the title "All Time Great"?

gulfportdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
titanic said:
Yes. At Millikens he gave up that weight. If he did not make a ball on the break his opponent scored a bead on the wire.
Jerry, Millikens was the joint in Bellflower, wasn't it?

Doc

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hemicudas said:
It is so easy to forget who invented “Offensive” one pocket, Ronnie Allen. Ronnie won many 9 ball tournaments as well as a few straight pool tourneys. Ronnie use to run 8 and out virtually like Efren does. I am not saying Ronnie would be the favorite but anyone who thinks Ronnie Allen would have needed 10-7 and alike are nuts. 9-8 or 8-7 is how they would have played.

I agree with ya $Bill. Like Ronnie said, he may have beaten me, but he would have been too tired to spend it.
9-8 at best..... I'm not convinced Efren would have won. The longer it went, the more I liked Ronnie.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Robertduke said:
Dint Bugs beat Ronnine heads up then give him 8 7 and still won.. Then at another tournament, didnt Ronnie ask for 9 7 and bugs says yes but ronnie back out.. Yes I think Efren could give him 10\8. I think Cliff could spot him a ball maybe 9\8 . Talkin about heart... wasnt efren down and made a great comeback on some crybaby american in a big race of 9 ball.. HAnds down EFREn, Bugs, or GRady Matthews, is the greatest onepocket players.. I would like to hear Freddys input on this subject but I doubt you will.. Hes still not a knocker.. And who ever said Ronnie can kick better then Efren is phuckin stupid with pool sense in the kickin department anyway.. Just like and A hole everybody has an opinion =)

There is no way in Hell that a young Cliff would have beaten a young Ronnie.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Nice debate we got going here.
I asked Little Al Romero about this since he has played both Efren and Ronnie a ton. Little Al used to get two balls from Ronnie in his prime, supposedly.
Little Al picked Efren.

thebighurt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The real way to decide this is ask the top players that if they had a gun to their head and had to beat Efren or Ronnie in his prime 1 match to live, ask them who they would rather play. Anybody that says Efren might as well play russian roulette with 6 f***ing bullets and see how they do at that. How would you like to bet your life against Michael Jordan or Tiger Woods. As they are cocking the trigger to blow your brains out not only do you lose your life but your last thought on this earth is ..I lost my life betting agaist these guys.. Think About It

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Island Drive said:

Well said!