Favorite player and least favorite player?

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
Some say this is the match that made Sigel retire...
...hill-hill, Varner has an easy nine skid on him...but it comes back and almost freezes on
the cue ball...Sigel freaks and knocks it off the table.

http://store.accu-stats.com/mike-sigel-vs-nick-varner-dvd-1990-u-s-open/
....you have to buy it to watch it....reduced rate...and its worth it.

I have that match on disc. And it is a great match. But don't think it had anything to do with Sigel retiring. He played for several years after that US Open. But, I just don't think his game was ever the same after he began sponsoring Brunswick, and doing a lot less tournaments. Sadly, most videos of him are ones later on.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Favorite = The Magician, Efren Reyes

Least favorite = Mike Sigel... when someone says 'nit', he comes to mind immediately.
If you don't like Sigel that's your choice but a "nit" he is not. In his prime he was an absolute monster who didn't duck ANYBODY and booked very few losers. Now he is one of the all-time world-champion whiners/criers but that just puts him on the list with most other good players.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you don't like Sigel that's your choice but a "nit" he is not. In his prime he was an absolute monster who didn't duck ANYBODY and booked very few losers. Now he is one of the all-time world-champion whiners/criers but that just puts him on the list with most other good players.

He is an a$$ and a nit.

Ken

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
He is an a$$ and a nit.

Ken

Yup stayed at a guys house once and the fellas son asked for an autograph and player told him they 200$ or some bs.....balls of steel and a rock head on that one lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I also don`t like slow players, Peter Ebdon comes to mind... :)
The late Frank McGown could spot Ebdon the pink ball at slowness. Eight minutes on one shot at straight pool -- someone in the audience had a stop watch. He was nasty in other ways as well.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in 2005, I was buying some drinks at a concession stand at a Florida event and I was a few cents short. The guy behind me offered a buck to help me out. Totally nice gesture.

It was Shannon Dalton. :cool: I still owe him a drink. He's a good fella.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Since some are bringing up players that are no longer with us.....
....I’m going to speak for the Miz....
...Steve thought the world of Harold Worst....when Steve was still young and Harold was
getting sick, Steve would run errands for him.

I have never seen Harold play, so I asked the Miz “Was he as good as they say?”
...Steve replied “Better!”
He recalled Harold playing in a ring 10 ball game at Evans’ place in Harlem...
...every player in the game was a champion....Harold won every game until they all quit.

D924BEF6-5080-4F17-8EA6-E3915D8D2E79.jpeg

Maybe the least liked of that era was Detroit Whitey.
I recall at the Rack that Whitey had five quality cues for sale at bargain prices....
...nobody would buy them because he was stealing them off players at tournaments.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe the least liked of that era was Detroit Whitey.
I recall at the Rack that Whitey had five quality cues for sale at bargain prices....
...nobody would buy them because he was stealing them off players at tournaments

WTF??? :angry: I've never heard of the guy until now and I already hate him!! :angry:

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
In Las Vegas one year in the 10-ball championship, Lee Van and some Chinese kid
were playing so slow we left even though we had just purchased VIP tag's.
Like watching flies f__k.
What could they be thinking about while taking that much time, unless it's about last
nights rerun of Rocky & Bullwinkle on Telemundo or something.

As far as slow straight pool players, I've played guys you could time with a calendar.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Favorites: Billy Thorpe, Efren Reyes, Buddy Hall, Manny Chau, Ming Ng, Allison, Jeanette

Least favorite: Dennis Hatch, Sigel

Much ambivalence: Earl, Shane

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now he is one of the all-time world-champion whiners/criers but that just puts him on the list with most other good players.

Well, there it is. I'm not denying Sigel has game.. you don't get that far if you don't have talent. But I've watched Mike play in person, 14.1 and 9 ball... by far the biggest NIT I've ever seen in the game. Earl's not far behind in the whining dept.

BooRadley

Registered
not unique but gotta say 'Bata' Reyes is my favorite hands down, his skill is unquestioned and he is a class act a true ambassador to the game. I don't dislike Earl the Pearl like some do, I don't always agree with him but at least he brings some personality to the game! -- and on the complete opposite spectrum you got Naoyki Oi out there killing it even when he loses.

Breakhuizen

Registered
My favorite player is Wu Jia-Qing followed by Efren Reyes.

My least favorite to watch has to be Johnny Archer.
From what I have seen a great guy but plays way to slow for my liking.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
My favorite player is Wu Jia-Qing followed by Efren Reyes.

My least favorite to watch has to be Johnny Archer.
From what I have seen a great guy but plays way to slow for my liking.

Archer is a laser beam compared to Souquet and Bergman. I've seen Orcullo get down and back up four or five times on a single shot so many times that my knees started hurting.

Maniac

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Archer is a laser beam compared to Souquet and Bergman. I've seen Orcullo get down and back up four or five times on a single shot so many times that my knees started hurting.

Maniac

I call it the “charlie Williams”. The world champeen of reset lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fay

F A V O R I T E
JEANETTE LEE
AS AN ASIAN-AMERICAN FEMALE
( AND FELLOW-FLORIDIAN )
SHE IS AN INSPIRATION AND ROLE MODEL TO ME
THROUGH ALL SHE HAS ACCOMPLISHED AND DONE
NOT ONLY FOR THE SPORT BUT FOR OTHER PEOPLE ALSO

L E A S T F A V O R I T E

JAYSON SHAW

I DO NOT CARE FOR HIS
ARROGANCE
COCKINESS
RUDENESS
HOW HE TREATS AND TALKS ABOUT OTHER PLAYERS

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My favorite is Earl. He's a lot of fun to watch. Either shoots beautifully, or has ah, anger management issues. I can relate.

I also can understand how many dislike him.

Geosnookery

Snooker
Favourite: Mark Selby
Least: Mark King

Chinese 8 Ball
Favourite: Gareth Potts
Least: Yang Fan

American Pool:
Favourite: Alex Pagulayan
Least: Earl Strickland.

In general I like classy players that are good sportsman who present a positive image for the game. They smile in both victory and defeat. They also are into a healthy lifestyle and you wouldn’t mind them coaching our kids at school.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fay