Filler and TRex. Tue -Wed at Roys

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've seen pro players that have come to Santa Monica House of Billiards and played on those super tight tables without really practicing on them and lose. I am talking about guys that have won major one pocket pro tournaments.

When they open the doors after 8 pm that room gets crowded, it gets very humid with the sea air coming in and often what they call the ( marine layer ) fog. In the humid conditions the balls bank differently too.

This condition makes the tables play super tight and it's a movers game. Tighter pockets in my mind favors the guy with the most knowledge that can move. The guy that can move until you sell out and then run a bunch of balls on his own terms.

Under conditions such as I've described if a ball hits a rail it ain't going into the pocket period.

If your opponent never misses under any of these conditions, that is gonna be very annoying and you might have to wire home for money.

I guess you missed the Filipinos who played in there. They are used to playing under similar conditions in the Philippines. I know because I've played many times on hot, muggy days over there. It was like playing pool in the mud.

I took Dennis up there and he spotted the best players at HOB and had no problem firing balls in the hole from distance and down the rails, but he's kind of a pool freak, similar to Filler in that respect - see it, make it! :wink:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, my valued friend, sweating matches with you is something I've always enjoyed, not just because I enjoy your company, but also because we're very compatible old-schoolers when it comes to analyzing the play and comparing today's players to all the old masters we both watched in their primes. Consider yourself invited to sweat matches with me the next time we're together.

I am absolutely in awe of Filler, yet I'm starting to think that you and Jay Helfert, two of the few on this forum that have seen more pro level pool than me, rate him even stronger than I do. I just don't think he's good enough to win the one-pocket event at Derby City quite yet. That said, it seems I have underestimated him more than once.

… now let's get past this Corona crap so we can resume watching the best up close and personal. Be safe and be well, Billy. Hope to see you soon.

As a DCC veteran you know how hard it is to win any event there. With the huge fields, short matches and loads of good players, you need to play great and get lucky a time or two. Taking all that into consideration, by the time the fields get whittled down to ten or fifteen players, they are all champions. Efren is the only player who ever dominated any division at DCC and of course that was in One Pocket. I don't think we'll see the likes of that ever again, but I have no doubt that Filler will be one of the favorites from here on in.

Take a look back at this match on Youtube and you will see what I saw - Filler casually firing in balls from all over the table, making bank shots like they were gimmes, and most of all how creative he was in shooting balls out of the pack. The last player I've seen who was this creative with his shotmaking was - who else but Efren. Josh never missed an opportunity to shoot at his hole, even when he faced losing the game if the shot went a little astray. He not only made or placed balls by his hole time and time again, but he ducked the cue ball, using superior cue ball control at the same time. He actually out-offense'd the best offensive player in the game.

That's the match that I watched.

Last edited:

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tony said he has not been playing at all the last few months.

He said when he played Josh Roberts few weeks ago was the only balls he has hit since this whole lock down started.

Filler has been been staying in dead stroke playing several hours a day on that very same table.

That had to be a huge factor in the match imo

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
As a DCC veteran you know how hard it is to win any event there. With the huge fields, short matches and loads of good players, you need to play great and get lucky a time or two. Taking all that into consideration, by the time the fields get whittled down to ten or fifteen players, they are all champions. Efren is the only player who ever dominated any division at DCC and of course that was in One Pocket. I don't think we'll see the likes of that ever again, but I have no doubt that Filler will be one of the favorites from here on in.

Take a look back at this match on Youtube and you will see what I saw - Filler casually firing in balls from all over the table, making bank shots like they were gimmes, and most of all how creative he was in shooting balls out of the pack. The last player I've seen who was this creative with his shotmaking was - who else but Efren. Josh never missed an opportunity to shoot at his hole, even when he faced losing the game if the shot went a little astray. He not only made or placed balls by his hole time and time again, but he ducked the cue ball, using superior cue ball control at the same time. He actually out-offense'd the best offensive player in the game.

That's the match that I watched.

I'll defer to your superior knowledge of one pocket here, Jay. Where I think Filler is a little underdeveloped relative to the top few is that he doesn't defend a winning position as well as they do. Efren, though largely remembered for his creativity, speed control, and remarkable use of billiard knowledge when he played one pocket, was by far the best ever at defending a winning position. Alex, Dennis, and maybe even Gomez, Thorpe, and Deuel are all good at it, but well below Reyes, and I feel Filler is well below all of them at it. Of course, as he continues to gain more knowledge, this will likely change.

Know what you mean about getting over the finish line at the Derby. You not only have to play great and have some luck (at the table and in the draw), but you also need to avoid being in the wrong place at the wrong time. For example, in this year's DCC 9-ball, Josh Filler and Lee Van Corteza both got to Round 13 undefeated. Simply incredible play from both of them! Then, Lee Van shot close to .980 in the final, playing the greatest final I've ever witnessed in a major nine ball event. Josh was in the wrong place at the wrong time and basically had no chance at all to win. Like you said, in the last few rounds it's all champions at the Derby.

Guess we'll see how it goes at the next Derby. I've been to all 9 days of 11 different Derby City Classics, for a total of 99 days spent there. The next day I spend at the Derby will make it an even 100. Can't wait to reach that milestone.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I may be wrong, but the way I was reading Tony's face day 2, I don't think he'll play Filler again even, on any table.

Well, Tony certainly said he'd play again. He and Roy said there would be a bigger-dollar match in New Orleans (Tony is moving there) sometime when the Fillers return. Tony mentioned $20k-$25k (not stated whether that would be from each side or in total).

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He said when he played Josh Roberts few weeks ago was the only balls he has hit since this whole lock down started.

Filler has been been staying in dead stroke playing several hours a day on that very same table.

I wonder why nobody else brought this up- that is a pretty significant factor to take into consideration

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It's not like it was a gaffe table-It's standard Diamond. Tony has played 5,000 hours of 1p-Josh probably 75.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder why nobody else brought this up- that is a pretty significant factor to take into consideration

It's like bringing up "hey did you guys know the sky was blue?" Everyone following Roy's Basement certainly knows Josh has been there for 6 weeks or more. Everyone also knows that no Player has ever been playing lately.

So i guess you are also saying Tony is a bad gambler and stupid to take that game under those negative circumstances?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's like bringing up "hey did you guys know the sky was blue?" Everyone following Roy's Basement certainly knows Josh has been there for 6 weeks or more. Everyone also knows that no Player has ever been playing lately.

So i guess you are also saying Tony is a bad gambler and stupid to take that game under those negative circumstances?
I agree with you and hope you find your stroke soon or get a new one for xmas or your birthday, whichever comes first.

but srrriously, if Tony hasnt played much and goes to where Josh has been locked down for a month plus...that is a huge advantage for josh.

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess you missed the Filipinos who played in there. They are used to playing under similar conditions in the Philippines. I know because I've played many times on hot, muggy days over there. It was like playing pool in the mud.

I took Dennis up there and he spotted the best players at HOB and had no problem firing balls in the hole from distance and down the rails, but he's kind of a pool freak, similar to Filler in that respect - see it, make it! :wink:

The player I was referencing was not a Pinoy. DO is one of the best shot makers in the world but when he first showed up in Santa Monica he had little knowledge of One Pocket. I don't think Dennis would have been able to beat T. Cho when he first started playing One Pocket.

The Pinoys are the premier humidity players in the world. I've seen Efren miss tough shots on those Santa Monica tables, he has played there many times and his shot making is not what it was during his prime.

When Ernesto's son Oscar was playing in one of his action matches on that super tight table at Hard Times there were no big packages put together that I saw.

Yes Filler is a freak but if several of his tough shots don't go in it could effect his confidence a little.

That being said anything can happen.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

"That's what I think, too
Filler been LIVING on that table and
Tony,
hasn't been playing
I hope they rematch BIG $$
DIFFERENT PLACE TOO-
GET TONY PRACTICED UP, AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS-
TONY MISSED A FEW HE USUALLY MAKES- THOSE ARE THE GAMES COST HIM THE MATCH,
imo

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Filler also missed a few he normally makes. One in particular that sticks out to me is he was under the stack, with a perfect "behind the rack 14-1" break shot. He missed the ball a good inch or two. The shot was like 1.5 feet long, and an easy cut angle. He would have probably ran 8 and out if it had fell. I don't recall if he won or lost that game. But he missed a very easy shot "for him".

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
This is honestly the best Tony has ever played and now all you guys are making excuses days later.

Nobody said a word about Tony playing bad until now and its almost all of you jumping on this bandwagon.

Thank God for guys like ya'll or I'd never make any $$$ gambling.

Another thing you all act like Tony doesn't constantly shoot crazy shots and you think tighter pockets are gonna help.....NEVERMIND

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
"That's what I think, too
Filler been LIVING on that table and
Tony,
hasn't been playing
I hope they rematch BIG $$
DIFFERENT PLACE TOO-
GET TONY PRACTICED UP, AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS-
TONY MISSED A FEW HE USUALLY MAKES- THOSE ARE THE GAMES COST HIM THE MATCH,
imo

Hahahahahahahahahaha

No

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
This is honestly the best Tony has ever played and now all you guys are making excuses days later.

Nobody said a word about Tony playing bad until now and its almost all of you jumping on this bandwagon.

Another thing you all act like Tony doesn't constantly shoot crazy shots and you think tighter pockets are gonna help.....NEVERMIND

100%

Filler ate his breakfast, lunch, and dinner, while taking a "total offense" approach and smashed him.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm not saying that- perhaps it was unwise of him to play a guy who is so accustomed to that table though and been playing a lot more than him in the past two months. I wasn't aware that Tony wasn't really playing- didn't know if he had a home table or access to any table or not.

I didn't watch much of the match- I'm not making excuses and I actually thought Filler would beat him because he shoots so straight- but I didn't bet on the match.

I'm not saying the outcome would be different if Tony were playing more, but it might be a factor.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

overall i agree with you, filler earned the win and tony played superbly. but i hold the tony vs bustie and the first dennis bout as his best performances